Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

1 week in Mississauga/Toronto and so far so good! :-)

1 week in Mississauga/Toronto and so far so good! :-)

Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

SwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really nice
Smile 1 week in Mississauga/Toronto and so far so good! :-)

Hi

We've been here in Mississauga just over a week now and everything just went very well and smoothly. The kids and I arrived Thursday last week and got in as tourists. Immigration was very friendly, only thing was that IO wanted to see document with my husband's approval that I can travel alone with the children. I didn't know I had to bring this form, but in the end it was ok, after I showed a copy of my husband's flight e-ticket and a copy of his passport.

The next day I went to change my UK driver's licence, which was no problem at all. Just go to the nearest Drive Test Centre. There you need to hand in your licence and the counterpart (they make copies and then send it back to the UK), make a quick eye test, have your picture taken and pay a fee of $75. I've received a temporary licence and should receive the card within 2 to 4 weeks...

In regards to accommodation I cannot give you any infos or tipps, as we are staying with my husband's uncle and will settle in Vancouver after our holidays.

OH arrived yesterday and had to apply for his TWP at POE (Pearson). He was able to go straight through to the Immigration counters, didn't have to wait and got his TWP after 20 minutes. He got it as a Intra-Company Transferee (LMO excempt) and only had to show letter of appointment, eployment statement and cv. They didn't ask for anything else (proof of funds etc). As he will open a new branch in Canada, he only got a TWP for 12 months. We are very happy that everything went so smoothly!

Canada is great. People are all very friendly and we like the supermarkets so far (don't miss Tesco yet...). The weather has been great (sunny and hot). We will see how it is, when it rains.

We will give you an update on how we will settle in Vancouver and how our search for a house there will go....

Kristina
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 week in Mississauga/Toronto and so far so good! :-)

Good to hear that your arrival went so smoothly. Wishing you belated welcomes to Canada ... and advance welcomes to BC!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:02 am
Just Joined

ShaunPC is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear everything worked out so well! It's too bad you're going on to Vancouver, you'll miss the wonderful winter season here in Toronto and southern Ontario!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough

Hi Kristina,

I also loved Toronto, its beautiful and the people are lovely!

I am heading to Vancouver in August! Cant wait!