Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ZoomFly or CanadianAffair airlines?

ZoomFly or CanadianAffair airlines?

Old May 17th 2005, 1:16 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of
Thumbs up ZoomFly or CanadianAffair airlines?

Hi everyone,

I'm making a trip to Vancouver very soon and have to choose between 2 (so-called) low cost options. Manchester - Vancouver with ZoomFly is approx £360 return, and with CanadianAffair it's approx £275.

ZoomFly is direct while CA is via Calgary.

All other things seem equal and the difference in fare is not trivial. However in my wide experience of travel, direct is best because I've lost too much baggage which didn't make connecting flights.

I'd appreciate your opinions based on their reputation as I don't know anyone who's used them.

Thanks

Paul G
Old May 17th 2005, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ZoomFly or CanadianAffair airlines?

Just a guess from looking at the schedules but I'd guess that the YVR passengers probably don't leave the plane at YYC. Or if they do, their luggage certainly won't. It looks like just a triangle route. So I wouldn't worry about that. But someone here will have done that flight and tell me if I'm talking rubbish or not
Old May 17th 2005, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Headhurts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Hi everyone,

I'm making a trip to Vancouver very soon and have to choose between 2 (so-called) low cost options. Manchester - Vancouver with ZoomFly is approx £360 return, and with CanadianAffair it's approx £275.

All other things seem equal and the difference in fare is not trivial. However in my wide experience of travel, direct is best because I've lost too much baggage which didn't make connecting flights.

I'd appreciate your opinions based on their reputation as I don't know anyone who's used them.

Thanks

Paul G
We flew with Canadian Affair on a Thomas Cook Airlines Airbus 330 very recently, and when we departed at Calgary, the plane was refueling to take the remaining passengers onto Vancouver. Our flights to ,and from, were OK and they have seat back TV screens aswell.

Last edited by Headhurts; May 17th 2005 at 2:24 am.
Old May 17th 2005, 8:31 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

we always fly Can Affair after trying other airlines, and family trying others which let us down

can affair is unbeatable on price as far as we have found and we have made 4 visit in the last year. All with Can affair.
We usually pay for an upgrade about £79 each way. It is not a posh upgrade just wider seats/ legroom in front cabin, and we get 30kg of luggage each. ideal for anyone going one way. Staff have always been helpful.

The stop in Calgary is for refuelling and takng on ,more passangers. You do not need to change planes.
The last time my husband flew they were delayed on the ground, so Can Affair rang through to his connecting flight form Van - Comox and they booked him on later flight, this was very helpful, but actually too helpful, as he had not requested it. He managed to get into Vancouver where the staff rushed him through customs, got his bags in time for next flight. As CanaAffair had been very efficient in letting them know he may not make it .It also meant they sold his seat, and booked him on later flight with a 4 hour wait!!!!!!! They meant well, but hubby was very tired by the time he arrive at house!
Zoom start off looking cheap, but you have to pay for the extra leg room, and upgrades etc work out quite a bit dearer.

Until Can affair let us down we will stick with what we know.

I am off with them 24 th June can't wait.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Paul G
Old May 17th 2005, 10:06 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gooding
we always fly Can Affair after trying other airlines, and family trying others which let us down

can affair is unbeatable on price as far as we have found and we have made 4 visit in the last year. All with Can affair.
We usually pay for an upgrade about £79 each way. It is not a posh upgrade just wider seats/ legroom in front cabin, and we get 30kg of luggage each. ideal for anyone going one way. Staff have always been helpful.

Hi Gooding - we are going with Canadian Affair in October and have also paid to upgrade. Quick question - I note that they allow you to check in up to 90 minutes before the flight (on the upgrade) - have you done this? We normally give ourselves loads of time but it would be nice to know that we have a bit of a leeway from the 2/3 hours check-in time, particularly as we are travelling from Dorset to Gatwick for a 10.00 a.m. flight... !!!!

Thanks! Jen
Old May 17th 2005, 10:27 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gooding

The stop in Calgary is for refuelling and takng on ,more passangers. You do not need to change planes.
The last time my husband flew they were delayed on the ground, so Can Affair rang through to his connecting flight form Van - Comox and they booked him on later flight, this was very helpful, but actually too helpful, as he had not requested it. He managed to get into Vancouver where the staff rushed him through customs, got his bags in time for next flight. As CanaAffair had been very efficient in letting them know he may not make it .It also meant they sold his seat, and booked him on later flight with a 4 hour wait!!!!!!! They meant well, but hubby was very tired by the time he arrive at house!
Zoom start off looking cheap, but you have to pay for the extra leg room, and upgrades etc work out quite a bit dearer.

All of us 5 family are flying with Can Affair in July to Toronto, Pearson Intl

They have been OK just now but will rwally know in July when we head to Toronto then a 2 hour drive to London Ontario for family holiday and a good look around the place in general

Prices were better the Zoom

Eddie
Old May 17th 2005, 1:11 pm
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future

We have flown with Canadaian Affair twice now, once in the upgrade section and once cattle class. Both flights were very good. Canadian affair use two airlines: Thomas Cook and My Travel. They do offer direct flights to Vancouver but on different days of the week than the other flights. They are also now flying to Vancouver (Abbotsford) which is about 40 miles east of Vancouver, ideal if you want to visit the Fraser Valley towns.(Though don't expect transport links into downtown Vancouver to be similar to that at Heathrow or Gatwick.
I have not tried Zoom yet, maybe the next journey.

Chris

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Paul G
Old May 17th 2005, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

iphillip is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried www.globespan.com

I always find them very competitive.
Old May 17th 2005, 3:21 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Paul G
Hi there,

We used Canadian Affair last time we went. The flight was via Calgary on a Thomas Cook A330 Airbus. Zoom were about the same price but as we had kids with us we opted for the Airbus as it had seat back TV's ~ which were a godsend!!
My sister-in-law flew with Zoom and said they were fine, but pretty basic
Old May 17th 2005, 4:56 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

This can be the only hicc up. As long as they have the desk allocated for premium you get though really quick. Last time we got thorugh in 5 minutes, and same on return, not hastle. Once they did not have the desk free and we all complained until they opened it up. Most we have waited is about 20 mins as all premium turned up at same time, but yes it is nice to get in quick whilst other 250 are snaking around the queue especialy with kids in toe.
You are meant to get priority baggage handling but do not. We have never had our bags come out first, infact last time it took ages......
We only take hand luggage now as I keep stuff over there, so I dont worrry too much abou check in.
Always take extra food especially if you have children, there is never enough and ususally if you are veggie it wil be curry! and a chicken meal, it is a long flight for 9 hours with budgie food.They do seem to come around often with snacks we had frozen chocolate covered yoghurt last time. My husband slept through his so i ate two!!!!!!
Alwasy take food on return trip as you get the munchies late evening, they give you plenty of dring and water. best bit of being in front cabin as the stewards wil alwasy pander to your whims they have no where to sleep and are often right by the toilet!
All cabin crew and pilot stayed in our hotel last time and were al very nice.
Miserable old trouts on Air transit!!! Rude on Air Canada.
We often stay at the Hilton Hotel or nearlby hotel the night before flight ( assuming you are returning) and get two weeks parking included. It costs a bit, but we know we will make the flight in morning, no getting up early or worry about traffic or missing the flight, and it does help when you get to the other end to be awake!
cant wait to go back again I love it. Strange thing is on my first trip to Canada we had a horrendous flight on return due to weather . I said to hubby i will never fly long haul again!! I have been back 4 times since. Like having a baby you soon forget anout the pain just the gain!

Originally Posted by Jenwren
Hi Gooding - we are going with Canadian Affair in October and have also paid to upgrade. Quick question - I note that they allow you to check in up to 90 minutes before the flight (on the upgrade) - have you done this? We normally give ourselves loads of time but it would be nice to know that we have a bit of a leeway from the 2/3 hours check-in time, particularly as we are travelling from Dorset to Gatwick for a 10.00 a.m. flight... !!!!

Thanks! Jen
Old May 17th 2005, 5:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if Air Transat take dogs??? I 've tried to get through but the line's busy!!

Zoom do take dogs I know, but am I right in thinking Canadian Affair do not?
Old May 17th 2005, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Anyone know if Air Transat take dogs??? I 've tried to get through but the line's busy!!
Not according to the website - http://www.airtransat.com/en/4_2_6.asp

Important notice
No animals of any kind are accepted on flights going to or connecting in the United Kingdom or Jamaica.

Edit: doh! You're going to Canada, not the UK, aren't you?! Ignore me.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:25 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

lol.....thanks, so does anyone know if they do take dogs to Canada?

edit: Ok sorry just looked at your link and it seems they do!
Old May 17th 2005, 8:17 pm
little snowy owl

To answer my own question some more..... I just rang Canadian Affair on the off-chance they might have changed their minds.... and they have!!!

They use two airlines, My Travel, and Thomas Cook as already mentioned. Some destinations are serviced by one or the other, and some by both on different days.

A very nice young man named Barnaby at Canadian Affair just checked for me, and My Travel, DO take dogs, though TC still do not. Both airlines go to Calgary and he gave me a number to call 08702 412569, which is "My Travel Special Requirements" section through which I can check availability on the selected flight and book the dog in! HOORAY!!!
The boys want to go Can. Aff. as they have the set-back TV's :P (both airlines use the airbus330).

lalala ....I think I shall throw caution to the wind....to hell with waiting for house sales and visas ...... and just BOOK the thing!
Old May 17th 2005, 10:31 pm

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

OK, I'm convinced it's worth the saving with Canadian Affair. It's £139 extra for premium both ways. What extra do you get exactly apart from extra leg room? Is Standard class bearrable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.