View Poll Results: How is your Canadian accent?
I still speak 100% British
20.69%
I have taken up a few Canadian words
55.17%
I have a Britadian or Canatish accent
17.24%
I sound just like the locals!
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Your accent

Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:27 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Actually, we use "couch" more than "sofa".
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:35 am
Glaswegian

Couching dragon, sofa tiger .... was that a poor pun or what?

Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have to admit that I have lived in Regina for more than 35 years and I still say things "funny" according to my granddaughter.

Apparently I say Yogurt wrong!! Mine is yog-ert (the "yog" rhymes with "dog") Apparently its yo-gert ("yo" as in yoyo)!

I talk about a dressing gown rather than a housecoat and bedclothes - meaning sheets etc.

I get laughed at for those too!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:08 am
Glaswegian

I remember hearing that Yoyo Ma was going to appear at the millennium celebrations in the UK - I wondered why they were having a rap artist (?)

Yogurt is one of those funny ones, like coupon - I can't even describe how that's pronounced

Old Jul 17th 2004, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

It's funny but I forget that I even have an accent until someone says 'what part of Britain are you from?' then I remember! I think I sound just like everybody else until then. One thing that I have found different from the U.S. to Canada is that a) people don't think I'm from Australia b) people understand what I mean when I say hiya and don't answer with the words 'I'm OK, how are ya?' - no kidding!! I said to my boss the other day that I would have to leave early - at half 3. She gave me a puzzled look until I explained half past 3 - she replied 'oh you mean a half after 3.' Well, we got there in the end!! Talking of differences in British/North American speak there's a good website at www.effingpot.com - it's U.S. biased but some funny things in there like dogs boll**** - oops sorry Ray, best watch my language!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 3:45 am
Glaswegian

Good site!!

I can now define what anal means - it's a git who's probably a job's worth and an anorak about everything in life.

Old Jul 17th 2004, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Glaswegian
Good site!!

I can now define what anal means - it's a git who's probably a job's worth and an anorak about everything in life.
It always cracks me up when I see Jamie Oliver on the box - the poor geezers over here are probably mind boggled - luvvly jubbly, throw it on the barbie, tozzing, pukka, 'ow's yer farther?

Last edited by crazydaisy; Jul 17th 2004 at 4:05 am.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

LadyTyger will become famous soon enough

Well having been born and raised in South London and schooled in Chelsea I was always told "You've got a posh accent" So since coming here, people always ask "Where is that accent from?" I tell them and they proceed to tell me "Yes I thought so" So I'm left thinking, then why did you ask? Whenever I speak with my girlfriends in London now they say I sound American!! I have to explain again and again, I'm in Canada not the US of A

But I have to agree with a few of you here that when I am around the locals, especially upon first meeting I do put on my accent even more so...I think just to prove a point!

I don't know what it is but hubby loves it when I say sausages...go figure!
Old Jul 18th 2004, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a London accent but have just spent the last 10 years in Hong Kong, arrived in Ottawa last month but moving to Quebec in a couple of weeks.

My accent is . . . . 'complex'
Old Jul 19th 2004, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

But why would you want to sound so..."Canadian"..my mom/parents moved to canada from Ireland when she was around 10 - she still has a slight Irish accent when she gets excited about something and it is really delightful to hear it.

My dad/parents came from Poland and had to learn english when they arrived - my dad also has a slight accent.

Don't be so quick to want to change - I love hearing accents from different countries and trying to guess where the person is from.....the different expressions etc are absolutely delightful when you t alk to people from other countries.

I spent a mont h in Ireland/England/Scotland/Wales and the accents/expressions were a n absolute delight!!!!!!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 3:37 am
Glaswegian

Originally posted by willmore
But why would you want to sound so..."Canadian"..

Don't be so quick to want to change - I love hearing accents from different countries and trying to guess where the person is from.....the different expressions etc are absolutely delightful when you t alk to people from other countries.
You are not a five year old boy who has been bullied for "not being Canadian".

You presumably have not been asked "can you speak English?"

You have not had "Pardon" as a response until you give up.

I spent a month in Ireland/England/Scotland/Wales and the accents/expressions were an absolute delight!!!!!!
Don't forget - at that time it was YOU who had the accent!

Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Yes, you're correct - having been born and raised in Canada - I've never known any type of discrimation - but I can remember my Polish grandparents/dad talking about all the problems they encountered in Winnipeg.

When we were in Europe, especially outside of the large cities - we were constantly answered with "pardon" or very confused looks from people - once the people found out we were Canadians not Americans (and many assumed we were American) - the people in Ireland, Scotland and Wales couldn't do enough for us - even if they couldn't understand us and our hand language. We were constantly told how "heavy" our accent was - which was really funny in Northern Scotland - where we thought their accent was heavy, but never made to feel uncomfortable!!!!! or gave up out of frustration!!!

In actual fact, I have been asked if I speak english - at the Toronto International airport to be exact!!!

Our trip was incredibly enjoyable and speaks volumes of how wonderful the people were and gave us many wonderful memories.

I would hope that the people of Canada would make you and all other immigrants to feel the same way - and if they haven't then I apologize for them.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:52 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough

I am Australian and I must say that 90% of Torontonians ask me what part of England I am from. There was even a time when someone at work told me a story about his friend from Wales and it took me while but I worked out that he was telling me this story as he thought that was where I came from.

I have lived in Toronto for a little over a year, but I really doubt I will ever loose my accent. However, I do say things like "look at the line-up (rather that queue) in Tim Horton's". When spelling words, I no longer say "double e or double t" but rather say each letter separately, same goes with phone numbers etc. Saying and writing dates still gets me all muddled up (July 21 instead of 21 July). Oh, I go on and on,

Have a great day,
Ozinca

Originally posted by crazydaisy
It's funny but I forget that I even have an accent until someone says 'what part of Britain are you from?' then I remember! I think I sound just like everybody else until then. One thing that I have found different from the U.S. to Canada is that a) people don't think I'm from Australia b) people understand what I mean when I say hiya and don't answer with the words 'I'm OK, how are ya?' - no kidding!! I said to my boss the other day that I would have to leave early - at half 3. She gave me a puzzled look until I explained half past 3 - she replied 'oh you mean a half after 3.' Well, we got there in the end!! Talking of differences in British/North American speak there's a good website at www.effingpot.com - it's U.S. biased but some funny things in there like dogs boll**** - oops sorry Ray, best watch my language!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

lancs lass is an unknown quantity at this point

I think until you move to another country you don't appreciate the complexity of the English Language (accents, spelling, etc).

Most Canadians can recognise (or should that be recognize?) a UK accent although often not which part you come from. Having said that myself and partner have also been taken for Australians and South Africans. Until I came out here though I don't know if I would have been able to tell a Canadian from an American - in fact not sure if I still could other than those with very pronounced accents (southern USA or Canadian Maritimes).

On the subject of spelling and British vs. Canadian words I find that you just find yourself spelling and speaking as the majority do for ease of understanding. Although when you don't know the Canadian word it can become a bit of a one way street - I remember asking for some sellotape which took a while to work through. As for dates I've given up with numericals completely as it always ends up in confusion - much safer to write it out in full - July 21, 2004 then everyone knows where they are!

The funny thing is you then have to revert back to UK speak when you have visitors over or they haven't a clue what you're talking about - the funniest must have been my mum asking for a Canadian larger (or beer) out in a pub - she actually wanted a Canadian (as in 'I am Canadian') mainly because it's the only one she knows but the ensuing conversation with server went:
Server: What can I get you to drink?
Mum: A Canadian Larger
Server: Do you mean beer?
Mum: Erm? Looks to self and partner and we say 'yes a light beer"
Server: Which beer would you like?
Mum: A Canadian one
Server: Yes, madam but we have many different Candian beers - rhymes off the list
... you get the drift and we eventually got the beer!