Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Young Family Moving to Toronto - where to live!

Young Family Moving to Toronto - where to live!

Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Family Moving to Toronto - where to live!

As a P.S. to my post above. I was talking to my younger son the other day, he is 17 (not an age renowned for thinking their life is great!) but he commented that he thought that Oakville was an ideal place to grow up. Enough space for him to climb trees, jump into creeks, play street hockey, ride bikes, skateboards, longboards etc when he was younger, but close enough to the city to hop on a train to go to concerts now that he is older. The schools are good too (although he didn't think to mention that).
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:56 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
As a P.S. to my post above. I was talking to my younger son the other day, he is 17 (not an age renowned for thinking their life is great!) but he commented that he thought that Oakville was an ideal place to grow up. Enough space for him to climb trees, jump into creeks, play street hockey, ride bikes, skateboards, longboards etc when he was younger, but close enough to the city to hop on a train to go to concerts now that he is older. The schools are good too (although he didn't think to mention that).
Your kid is awesome. <3
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's definitely worth highlighting.
I didn't find it a bother when living between Clarkson and Port Credit - the express from Clarkson worked similarly to the slow train from Port Credit. I was some glad, of course, when finances improved and I could drive into town.

What I would find infeasible is living on a line other than the Lakeshore one; they do have limited service. A level of service which I think works only if you have a very regimented job and don't socialize - perhaps something governmental.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Your kid is awesome. <3
Thanks - I think so too. Takes after his motheršŸ˜Š
Old Jul 13th 2016, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
I didn't find it a bother when living between Clarkson and Port Credit - the express from Clarkson worked similarly to the slow train from Port Credit. I was some glad, of course, when finances improved and I could drive into town.

What I would find infeasible is living on a line other than the Lakeshore one; they do have limited service. A level of service which I think works only if you have a very regimented job and don't socialize - perhaps something governmental.
Totally agree.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sineadl
Hi there. We are moving to Toronto from NZ with a work transfer with my husbands job. We are arriving the last week of August. My husband will be based in the city but he is happy to commute to work on public transport. We have 2 kids aged 8 & 5. We are looking for any tips on suburbs to live in. We have heard that Oakville, Pickering and Whitby have good schools & nice areas to live it and it seems that we can afford to live in these areas based on our budget. Schools are the highest priority for us. Any tips at all on schools or info about these areas or other suburbs would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Sinead
Buying or renting? How long are you planning to stay?
Old Jul 14th 2016, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in Milton in the 80's, but moved back to England i 1991. There has bee a huge housing/commercial development since then. This is where I will be moving back to when my husbands sponsorship is finalised. It does have a GO station, which I believe is very reliable from there.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 12:49 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearclaire1
I grew up in Milton in the 80's, but moved back to England i 1991. There has bee a huge housing/commercial development since then. This is where I will be moving back to when my husbands sponsorship is finalised. It does have a GO station, which I believe is very reliable from there.
Yes it's reliable, but it's one of the GO lines that only runs trains in the peak hours.

Here's the Milton-Toronto schedule: Milton

There are 9 trains in the morning between 6:30 and 8:30 going into Toronto, and then 9 trains coming back to Milton between 3:30 and 7:00. Outside of that is bus service.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearclaire1
Milton is sooooo different to the 1980s. I took my mom up there (she lives in Burlington) when I was home last month and she was astounded at how much the town has changed just in the last 2 years (since I took her last time).

For the OP, I grew up in Burlington so am a bit biased, but I would vote west of the city as well. My partner and I are hopefully moving to Canada next year and I'm trying to convince him that Southern Ontario is where we need to be.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Milton is sooooo different to the 1980s.
For the OP, I grew up in Burlington so am a bit biased, but I would vote west of the city as well. My partner and I are hopefully moving to Canada next year and I'm trying to convince him that Southern Ontario is where we need to be.
https://goo.gl/maps/3wt6SwUSobn this is what most people think of when Milton comes to mind. There is an old core to it but it is pretty minimal.

Standard new build housing. The kind that dbd loves At least they primarily use brick and not siding.

https://goo.gl/maps/15kVX3cfc7m

I lived in 'southern Ontario' from 1981-1994 and I'm now in 'eastern Ontario' and it would take a lot of money and other incentives to move back. The GTA has little appeal to me now. (plus the S-I-L and B-I-L and F-I-L are all there..another reason).
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

Standard new build housing. The kind that dbd loves At least they primarily use brick and not siding.
It's only roll on brick though, isn't it? The houses are still made of sticks but have a decorative brick faƧade.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 12:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
https://goo.gl/maps/3wt6SwUSobn this is what most people think of when Milton comes to mind. There is an old core to it but it is pretty minimal.

https://goo.gl/maps/15kVX3cfc7m

I lived in 'southern Ontario' from 1981-1994 and I'm now in 'eastern Ontario' and it would take a lot of money and other incentives to move back. The GTA has little appeal to me now. (plus the S-I-L and B-I-L and F-I-L are all there..another reason).
I'd probably be happy to live in Kingston to Brockville region if there was work for my partner. My job is pretty flexible so I can hopefully get work wherever we go.