Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Where is guelph?
Ontario, Canada
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Calgal
Ontario, Canada
It dosen't sound like a nice name does it?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
It dosen't sound like a nice name does it?
I work in Guelph a few days a month and find it a very mixed place. There's a university well known for things veterinary and around there it's very nice indeed. There's also a mall containing the regional dole office and, around there, it's not very nice at all. Apart from the university I'd guess the big employer is Sleeman's brewery, makers of a fine product.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Thats probably where the name came from...The sound people make after quaffing the fine ale
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Has any of you wathed the Blue Collar TV show?

DAT'S FUNNI RIGHT DARE!

IF YOU HAVE, WHAT ABOUT THE RED KNECK DICTIONARY?

JUNIOR = DO YOU'N'YOUR MATES

SENIOR = SEEN YER
Old Apr 17th 2005, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Cayuga_Griff is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh man. I've been living in the UK since I was 8 years old and so much of my language is mixed up. Some of it is Canadian but too much of it has been Anglasised (sp?). I've been going back and forth to the US and Canada for the past 3 or 4 years, picking up some of my accent and lingo again, but the UK has smothered it pretty much. AH well, moving back to the GREAT white north as of September!!! YES! Working at a summer camp in PA for the neighbours to the south for 3 months before that though.

Tim Hortons and hockey (GO LEAFS!). AWESOME!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

tmccorm3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some others passed onto to me by a buddy with a Nova Scotia bias

a. know the provincial flower (the mildew)

b. feel very guilty if you put one recyclable can or newspaper in the regular garbage

c. use the phrase "sunny breaks" and know what it means

d. can name 10 or more brands of rum

e. know more people who have boats than people who have air conditioning

f. stand for two minutes on a deserted street corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" signal

g. know more people who heat with wood than with oil

h. can taste the difference between Tim Horton's, Starbucks and
Wendy's coffees

i. know how to pronounce Antigonish, Musquodoboit and Tatamagouche

j. consider swimming to be an indoor sport

k. can tell the difference between Canadian and American food

l. consider nothing unusual about a weather forecast that says "rain followed by showers"

m. start wearing shorts as soon as the temperature gets above 5 Celsius

n. switch from sneakers to sandals when it gets above 10

o. know that anyone carrying an umbrella is either a wimp or a tourist, perhaps both

p. buy new sunglasses every year because you can't find the old ones after such a long time

q. carry jumper cables in your car, and your wife knows how to use them

r. refer to the four seasons as winter, still winter, road works and deer-hunting

s. understand all the above points and will forward them to other Nova
Scotians (and to some people who wish they were)

Tony
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tmccorm3
Some others passed onto to me by a buddy with a Nova Scotia bias

a. know the provincial flower (the mildew)

b. feel very guilty if you put one recyclable can or newspaper in the regular garbage

c. use the phrase "sunny breaks" and know what it means

d. can name 10 or more brands of rum

e. know more people who have boats than people who have air conditioning

f. stand for two minutes on a deserted street corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" signal

g. know more people who heat with wood than with oil

h. can taste the difference between Tim Horton's, Starbucks and
Wendy's coffees

i. know how to pronounce Antigonish, Musquodoboit and Tatamagouche

j. consider swimming to be an indoor sport

k. can tell the difference between Canadian and American food

l. consider nothing unusual about a weather forecast that says "rain followed by showers"

m. start wearing shorts as soon as the temperature gets above 5 Celsius

n. switch from sneakers to sandals when it gets above 10

o. know that anyone carrying an umbrella is either a wimp or a tourist, perhaps both

p. buy new sunglasses every year because you can't find the old ones after such a long time

q. carry jumper cables in your car, and your wife knows how to use them

r. refer to the four seasons as winter, still winter, road works and deer-hunting

s. understand all the above points and will forward them to other Nova
Scotians (and to some people who wish they were)

Tony
My boyfriend is a scotian so i know where you are coming from
!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

angelz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SimonG
It was in the kids I noticed the change first, my youngest lad talking about the amount of 'candy' he had eaten at school instead of sweets or ket.
Your comment on the candy made me think - with kids in england being able to watch wall to wall simpsons cartoons ( as mine does) much of the language you describe is already part of their vocab - he does call sweets candy, petrol gas etc and also knows the canadian anthum insisting on singing it loudly in supermarkets. Maybe the differences will decrease thanks to that lovely medium digital TV
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

this is getting good eh!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

this thread is good EH!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:02 am
Just Joined

JoolsG will become famous soon enoughJoolsG will become famous soon enough

My Dh wants me to add:

Taking your garbage up to the end of your driveway - in the car!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey guys where are those funny stories gone?

One of the 3 year old twins i look after told me that he heard the POKE died!
when i asked him did he know who he was he replied ..."he was in a box and he looked like a porcupine" i died laughing. I realised after toalking to his mother that he was listening to then watching the news and the family made reference to Camilla's hat at the wedding and he grasped that and convinced himself that this was true of the POPE.
the children are always corecting me on my English terminology. It can be great at times as i am teaching them!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:28 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

... Love the national anthem!

Get a tingle with it that's close to your own.

Realise the pride they have in their national game and how much it means to them

Stand with thousands of Canadians and share a part of the tingle their pride (although you know you're not, and never will be a Canadian) at the song.

Enjoy it so much you can become a critic of a good and bad rendition.

Stand listening to it with your cell phone on so your partner can share the live version whilst watching it on TV (meanwhile you're promising her you'll be home by 2300).

Make up your own silly version of it from the first time you hear it in Canada and make it your own little anthem.

OHHH Ca-na-da,

You'-ve GO-OT BIG roads. (that's it! for the moment)

don't know whether to support your local hockey team or not because the other team has a player on it that's signed to your local NHL team.

Realise that fighting is normal behaviour and part and parcel of a physical sport and worth a 2 minute penalty and not a couple of tabloid/broadsheet headlines and an inquiry.

In conclusion (IMO)

You know you're becoming canadian when you...

realise it's the American lifestyle without the shite.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:43 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, ooh I've got a few more...

... when the first thing you do when you wake up is check the weather (Online, weatherchannel etc..) so you know what to wear.

...when you start debating hat-hair vs cold head.

...when your back aches from shovelling snow but you do the neighbours walk anyway because he's 80 and "snowshovelling can cause heart attacks y'know!"

...when your dog has booties for winter-walks.

Siren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.