Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:58 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Its a simple matter of respect. If the house you enter has carpets which cost any amount of money which has been hard to come by, by the owner, it is not very nice to leave marks on them with dirt from the outside. If the floors are hard or perhaps tiled the emphasis would be lessoned. If you approach a home and the owner hesitates at the door, glances at your feet, looks awkward etc it is often a sign of wanting to ask but not wanting to upset...

Simply pick up on the vibes being given out - its respect.
I normally take my shoes off now automatically, when I come into a house without thinking about it.

At home, I sometimes hit the kitchen without the shoes coming off, but only because it's from there that the carpet starts. In the UK, I never took my shoes off at all....
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:58 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Its a simple matter of respect.

Simply pick up on the vibes being given out - its respect.
Ouch!! What I say!!

LOL!!

Scouse
Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be rude to ask someone to remove their shoes when entering our home in the UK. Most people who we do not know who enter our home look shocked when we ask them politely to de-shoe due to carpets etc. We think it must be part of the social fabric generally and yet friends always de-shoe!

It's also polite to have clean underwear before you sit on the furniture.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:01 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by flashman
I'm not even going there, flashman!!

Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:06 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Flashman's worried about underwear?

Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:12 pm
Gone Walkabout

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Flashman's worried about underwear?

Over to you, flasher!!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse
Over to you, flasher!!
Depends what it cleaner. Your feet or your arse?

Maybe start a poll eh?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:01 pm
Gone Walkabout

Depends what it cleaner. Your feet or your arse?

Maybe start a poll eh?
Not in this lifetime!!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:05 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I normally take my shoes off now automatically, when I come into a house without thinking about it.
Some women own a suede or quilted bag in which to carry a spare pair of indoor shoes into which to change when they reach their destination. I don't do this when I pop into a friend's home on a casual basis. In that case I just slip off my shoes and walk around in socks. However, if I'm attending a smart casual function, such as a dinner party, I do take spare shoes.

I also leave a couple of pairs of indoor shoes in the office for the duration of the winter. Usually one black pair and one navy pair suffices. However, I sometimes have had female co-workers who have kept half a dozen or so pairs of shoes in the office closet (cupboard). Obviously the purpose of the indoor shoes at the office is to have footwear into which to change when you remove your snow boots. In theory you could carry the shoes from home every day, but it feels easier to keep a couple of pairs at the office.

When my kids were at school, they also used to have indoor shoes that stayed behind at school throughout the winter, while they wore boots to get from home to school and back.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:35 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of
Talking Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

oh oh....Ive just read every post to this thread only to learn dispite my living in the uk for the past 23 years I have lost very little of my canadianess!!! so my hubby has just pointed out..... I guess I will slip right back into the lingo eh?
Old Apr 9th 2005, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by babyblue
That is totally awsome!

right on Buddies!

this is starting to be a funny thread EH!
Well isnt this GrAND!!!!

I think its all GARBAGE,,

or is that rubbish, No thats what you get on the pavement in Uk not the SIDEWALK!!

but i certainly dont miss my STICK SHIFT either,

Tim Hortons and doughnuts hmm
Old Apr 9th 2005, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Ask for quarters instead of a looney,
Start a conversation with Hi, How you doing?
Complain when people hog the sidewalk,
Start putting Cheese Whiz on everything,
Call rude people 'Jerks' instead of 'Tossers'
Say 'holy sh*t' when surprised instead of 'flaming nora!'
Old Apr 9th 2005, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by seacreature
Ask for quarters instead of a looney,
Start a conversation with Hi, How you doing?
Complain when people hog the sidewalk,
Start putting Cheese Whiz on everything,
Call rude people 'Jerks' instead of 'Tossers'
Say 'holy sh*t' when surprised instead of 'flaming nora!'
Yep its great

I cant wait to be back over there, came back in feb and this thread has cheered me up should have PR for sep and then BON VOYAGE

But at least i can vote in the next government and leave england with knowledge knowing that some idiot is runing the country and i hopefully voted them in,

I miss the friendly-ness of canadians and the relaxed driving and actually knowing your neighbours and having bbqs without the rain, 2 days back in the country (uk) and road rage is creeping in! lol

The only good thing ive got coming back here is the exchange rate!

but want to make people in canada laugh just ask for a fag!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

When you never watched Coranation Street for years living in the UK but Now it is talked about by Canadians every where that you feel the need to watch so you don't look silly!
or
when the animal planet or discovery become the most interesting channels on TV.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by babyblue
when the animal planet or discovery become the most interesting channels on TV.

That's so true!
Discovery and the Weather Channel are the only ones worth watching!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.