Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you rather live in the East or the West of Canada?

Would you rather live in the East or the West of Canada?

Old May 7th 2013, 1:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you rather live in the East or the West of Canada?

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Toronto really isn't East or West.
Yeah, that's East. Alberta and BC is the West, Saskatchewan and Manitoba is the Prairies, Ontario and Quebec is the East, everything to the right of that is the Maritimes, and the North is the North.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't you say you had friends here? Go where they are.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Yeah, that's East. Alberta and BC is the West, Saskatchewan and Manitoba is the Prairies, Ontario and Quebec is the East, everything to the right of that is the Maritimes, and the North is the North.
yeah.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Toronto really isn't East or West.
We all know Toronto (GTA) is the centre of the universe
Longitudinal centre of Canada N49 degrees 46.054 W 96degrees 48.583
Toronto N43 degrees 6482 W 79 degrees 4042.
Old May 7th 2013, 3:56 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

OP West Coast and East Coast are chalk and cheese. Elaborate on what kind of lifestyle and/or career you are looking for and ye shall be guided!
Old May 7th 2013, 3:59 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
OP West Coast and East Coast are chalk and cheese. Elaborate on what kind of lifestyle and/or career you are looking for and ye shall be guided!
Old May 7th 2013, 4:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Whereever you can best balance employment opportunities, cost of living and that elusive lifestyle thing. Or where you have friends. Or, in my case, where the Mrs is from. Those are the criteria for selecting East, West or indeed Middle, South, North etc.
Old May 7th 2013, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone wish that they had stayed in the UK and not have gone to Canada

I don't regret any of my moves. I've moved from UK to Canada, Canada to UK, and UK to USA. There are pros and cons to all 3 countries all well documented in various threads on this forum. Also, even within each country, there are regional differences in terms of lifestyle. I moved from NI to Manchester to Toronto to Vancouver to Toronto to London to Maryland. Living in Belfast was different to living in rural NI. Living in Manchester was different to living in London. Living in Toronto was different to living in Vancouver.

I look upon life as an adventure. Seeing as many different parts of the world as possible is part of that adventure IMO. If anything, I actually regret not living in more places. I've traveled around Europe but I really regret not spending at least a year or two there learning a couple of languages.

Whether east or west is better depends a lot on you. Everything is subjective. Personally I prefer Toronto over Vancouver in terms of city life. However, Vancouver is situated in a spectacular setting even if the city itself isn't my cup of tea. Others would disagree for their own reasons.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 7th 2013 at 4:22 pm.
Old May 7th 2013, 4:20 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather live where I can provide myself with an income so I can actually live, as someone said do a search there are plenty of discussions around generalized questions, if you have something specific you can then get more relevent feedback, or are you just bored today
Old May 7th 2013, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I would rather live where I can provide myself with an income so I can actually live, as someone said do a search there are plenty of discussions around generalized questions, if you have something specific you can then get more relevent feedback, or are you just bored today
An acreage just outside of Calgary it is then
Old May 7th 2013, 6:06 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
An acreage just outside of Calgary it is then
Yep or perhaps Nunavut does that class as north
Old May 8th 2013, 3:51 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Yep or perhaps Nunavut does that class as north
Yeah.
Old May 8th 2013, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

O.k. I need to take into account where the job opportunities are, if I like the area and if it is easy to make friends there. Message through loud and clear!
Old May 8th 2013, 4:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisemc
O.k. I need to take into account where the job opportunities are, if I like the area and if it is easy to make friends there. Message through loud and clear!
That is the advice that is usually given, and I am not going to say it is bad advice. However, there is another approach: go to where you want to live and make the most of the opportunities there.
Old May 8th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That is the advice that is usually given, and I am not going to say it is bad advice. However, there is another approach: go to where you want to live and make the most of the opportunities there.
Right - and it's a balancing act that has a different answer for different people. If you need to work, then you obviously need to be able to find a job. But when other criteria are considered (e.g. geography, climate, lifestyle, cost of living, etc) then it's not always simply a case of following the work/money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.