Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working Vaughan, ON so looking for house advice

Working Vaughan, ON so looking for house advice

Old Dec 6th 2017, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about
Default Working Vaughan, ON so looking for house advice

Admin: I don't want to hijack the other thread, but please delete if you think it's all relevant.

I don't want to hijack Lichisadave's post as their requirements are slightly different to mine.

The new job is in Vaughan, just off the 400. Having lived in the US I was hoping I knew a bit more about what to expect in terms of housing. Nope, wrong again. I'm actually in Vaughan atm, so any suggestions I can look at right away.

So I have two kids, 2 & 4 with another on the way. My priority is settling them all into a family friendly area, not a million miles from amenities, parks and other useful things to entertain the brats. I am expecting to travel for at least an hour given the 400, 409 etc (I currently do 1hr 40 door to door in London)

What I am trying to avoid is, as dbd33 so eloquently put "a large box to live in with no lawn in a street of the same in an ugly treeless housing project without pubs, restaurants or other amenities, then pretty much anywhere north of the QEW will provide that."

Basically what I have been able to establish so far (and no offense is intended to anyone living in the GTA)
Richmond Hill - See Large Box description, also a high Asian population, which we are not.
Aurora - Better, but still not great
Kleinburg - Almost has a small town feel, but trying to pass itself off as a high-end boutique street which is a 1/4 mile long.
Woodbridge - Finally found a supermarket. Has the housing projects, but a little more in terms of amenities. Very Italian, but not that much of an issue.
Now looking at Burlington, which the boss recommends, but having driven from the airport yesterday and getting stuck on the 409 at around 4pm I'm not holding much hope.
I will add Mineola to the list as well, probably drive that way on Friday.

I've looked at a few properties and generally, I'm happy with the size, so now it's just the area...Oh, will be renting to start with, but looking to settle in the area we pick.

Any insights?
Old Dec 6th 2017, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Vaughan, ON so looking for house advice

Go to a R/E office in Vaughan and get some on the spot advice/help from that source. They will know the area probably better than anyone else.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 9:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Schomberg?

I used to drive there, eat breakfast, ride, and then go to the pub. I would say then that it had the essential amenities. I haven't been there recently so it may have been McMansioned. It's not far to go and see.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 12:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Burlington has a lot of positives, if you can find a way around the commute. Have you considered going the 'other' way - East towards Ajax, Scarborough, Whitby areas - or North-East around Aurora?
Old Dec 7th 2017, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re going by to be working in Vaughan I would agree with dbd. Schomberg is lovely. I spent a few months there and love the small town/village feel. There’s a nice mix of ethnicities/backgrounds too which is lovely.
If you want a larger community I would suggest Newmarket. Some people knock it but it has a good hospital, great shopping and wouldn’t be too far to Vaughan...
Old Dec 7th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
Admin: I don't want to hijack the other thread, but please delete if you think it's all relevant.

I don't want to hijack Lichisadave's post as their requirements are slightly different to mine.

The new job is in Vaughan, just off the 400. Having lived in the US I was hoping I knew a bit more about what to expect in terms of housing. Nope, wrong again. I'm actually in Vaughan atm, so any suggestions I can look at right away.

So I have two kids, 2 & 4 with another on the way. My priority is settling them all into a family friendly area, not a million miles from amenities, parks and other useful things to entertain the brats. I am expecting to travel for at least an hour given the 400, 409 etc (I currently do 1hr 40 door to door in London)

What I am trying to avoid is, as dbd33 so eloquently put "a large box to live in with no lawn in a street of the same in an ugly treeless housing project without pubs, restaurants or other amenities, then pretty much anywhere north of the QEW will provide that."

Basically what I have been able to establish so far (and no offense is intended to anyone living in the GTA)
Richmond Hill - See Large Box description, also a high Asian population, which we are not.
Aurora - Better, but still not great
Kleinburg - Almost has a small town feel, but trying to pass itself off as a high-end boutique street which is a 1/4 mile long.
Woodbridge - Finally found a supermarket. Has the housing projects, but a little more in terms of amenities. Very Italian, but not that much of an issue.
Now looking at Burlington, which the boss recommends, but having driven from the airport yesterday and getting stuck on the 409 at around 4pm I'm not holding much hope.
I will add Mineola to the list as well, probably drive that way on Friday.

I've looked at a few properties and generally, I'm happy with the size, so now it's just the area...Oh, will be renting to start with, but looking to settle in the area we pick.

Any insights?
The prospect of commuting from Burlington to Vaughan on a daily basis fills me with horror, unless the job pays well enough to allow you to use the 407 (cost between $50-60 per day depending on time of travel and exits you will be using). If I was to work in Vaughan I would look to the towns to the north with a focus on finding one that allows a commute that avoids the 400.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 12:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
unless the job pays well enough to allow you to use the 407
I think that level of income must be quite high. I know a couple, living in Aurora, working in Guelph, jointly taking home closer to $400,000 than $300,000/yr and writing the tolls off against taxes, who eventually decided that, for the price of the tolls, they may as well stay in a hotel in Guelph on workdays.

The hotel strategy also allowed them to economise by trading in the Mercedes for a Lexus "we don't do the miles any more to justify an expensive car".

Commuting by 407 is ruinous.