Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Old Apr 19th 2018, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Self-employment an option for those that wish to take more vacation.
Exactly.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
In Ontario they waste their time hiking north in heavy traffic and sitting by still lakes drinking in "Cottage" country. Highly bizzare when they could be relaxing in a nice warm Hooters with AC and a decent choice of TV channels.
I know about Canadian cottaging. If I had to choose between that and the English type I'd struggle.

Yesterday, I listened to two cradles discussing recent holidays, one was fresh off the plane from Antigua (a week), The other had recently been to Hawaii (three weeks unpaid). Upon returning from Hawaii, the one had kept us enthralled by reciting the prices in the Costco there and their equivalents in Canadian dollars. The returner from Antigua straightaway said she hadn't been to Costco and explained that she hadn't left the resort. "In the morning I sat on the beach, then I went in for lunch and then I sat on the beach in the afternoon". "What about the evenings?" asked the big box adventurer "It was dark so I didn't go out, the resort wasn't very well lit". "Yes, it gets dark early in Hawaii too, we like to have a big TV".

In February we had a little holiday (one week unpaid). On coming back a cradle asked "where did you go?". I said "Los Angeles" to a look of complete bewilderment "never heard of going to California for a holiday".

(Note that I do realise that there a dullards all over the world and that in a more exciting work environment in Canada I might find people who've been about a bit. It's just that I haven't seen an exciting work environment in Canada).
Old Apr 19th 2018, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I know about Canadian cottaging. If I had to choose between that and the English type I'd struggle.

Yesterday, I listened to two cradles discussing recent holidays, one was fresh off the plane from Antigua (a week), The other had recently been to Hawaii (three weeks unpaid). Upon returning from Hawaii, the one had kept us enthralled by reciting the prices in the Costco there and their equivalents in Canadian dollars. The returner from Antigua straightaway said she hadn't been to Costco and explained that she hadn't left the resort. "In the morning I sat on the beach, then I went in for lunch and then I sat on the beach in the afternoon". "What about the evenings?" asked the big box adventurer "It was dark so I didn't go out, the resort wasn't very well lit". "Yes, it gets dark early in Hawaii too, we like to have a big TV".

In February we had a little holiday (one week unpaid). On coming back a cradle asked "where did you go?". I said "Los Angeles" to a look of complete bewilderment "never heard of going to California for a holiday".

(Note that I do realise that there a dullards all over the world and that in a more exciting work environment in Canada I might find people who've been about a bit. It's just that I haven't seen an exciting work environment in Canada).
Your problem is you are putting “exciting” and “work environment” in the same sentence.
I agree there’s not so much fun here as there was in the U.K. Dont get me wrong I’ve had a few laughs but not the way we used to at work in the U.K.

That being said I’ve just joined a brokerage in anticipation of my impending real estate license and they seem to be a bit of a giggle!!

Now to plan my horizontal week on a beach....
Old Apr 19th 2018, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Your problem is you are putting “exciting” and “work environment” in the same sentence.
Fair shot!

The woman across the room now has a real estate license, that's useful as we can see the full mls listings for places and that is sometimes a laugh.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 19th 2018 at 12:21 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I agree there’s not so much fun here as there was in the U.K. Dont get me wrong I’ve had a few laughs but not the way we used to at work in the U.K.

That being said I’ve just joined a brokerage in anticipation of my impending real estate license and they seem to be a bit of a giggle!!

Now to plan my horizontal week on a beach....
The best office parties ever were definitely when I worked for Remax, but given that you pay them for the privilege of working there rather than the other way around, they could afford it. The amount I paid Remax per month pretty much gets me a full year with my current broker. His view on office socials is that he is a real estate broker not a party planner and if we want a party, we know where the pub is. I like him.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 12:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the day it used to be fun to work in a hospital and then something happened in the late 80s and it all stopped.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
The best office parties ever were definitely when I worked for Remax, but given that you pay them for the privilege of working there rather than the other way around, they could afford it. The amount I paid Remax per month pretty much gets me a full year with my current broker. His view on office socials is that he is a real estate broker not a party planner and if we want a party, we know where the pub is. I like him.
I hear you...these guys are a stepping stone. I'm hoping it works out with them as I really like them but I'm not going to sit around if I don't get bang for my buck!!!

I would put money on it being me who organizes a Christmas party... happy days!
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My work is okay excitememt wise. Only problem is just about everyone is in the 20 to 23 range which means being the old guy, I dont get invited to the fun things co workers plan.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Back in the day it used to be fun to work in a hospital and then something happened in the late 80s and it all stopped.
I think that happened in all work environments....people seem to have a lot less of a social connection to work than they used to.

The majority of my friendships have been formed through the workplace.... in my last company I was always the social organiser as we got bugger all from the company, in fact the only two good things about that place were the people I worked with and the decent salary offered by the company.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 8:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My work is okay excitememt wise. Only problem is just about everyone is in the 20 to 23 range which means being the old guy, I dont get invited to the fun things co workers plan.
Similar boat on this side mate.

My last company there were 6 people on the team 22 to 25. I'm 38. It didn't feel right having a beer after work. I'd make an excuse then roll to my local.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 8:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
That's pretty much what my husband said, he may look at it from that point of view if he ever gets to the negotiation stage The concern seems to be shifting to me as I probably won't be able to negotiate anything going back into the workforce after 20 years out.

Like all of life's big decisions we need to weigh up the pros and cons.

For the record, I am in NO WAY trying to put Canada down, it's my first choice country but I am not going to venture blindly into such a big life change. I appreciate people pointing out the good, the bad and..well, even the ugly!
It may be upthread and I missed it but what profession is your other half in?

I worked in recruitment 2014 to 2016 for large banks and telco's. They were happy to give mid to upper level management back office rolls such as IT & Marketing 20 days vacation if the candidate pushed for it in negotiation.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It is interesting that. My junior co-workers sweetly (probably knowing that I will make a substantial payment contribution if I come) invite me to everything. I don't mind the occasional outing with them, but most of them are of an age to be my children and the stuff they do and I like to do are very different. Noisy (I don't mean buzzy, but ones where you have to shout to be heard) restaurants and bars are the worst! It's also getting to the point where faced with a choice between a noisy, raucous, late night outing and the opportunity to watch [insert name of latest Netflix thing is keeping me entertained], Netflix often wins.

I've really turned into an old fart!
Old Apr 20th 2018, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Similar boat on this side mate.

My last company there were 6 people on the team 22 to 25. I'm 38. It didn't feel right having a beer after work. I'd make an excuse then roll to my local.
I had age group of 23-30 when I was at the bank. I am always up for a few beers and a laugh. However, I found them boring compared to any younger ones I worked with back in the UK. Not much craic and seemingly incapable of having even a moderately in depth conversation. Wasn't even the normally hilarious bitching session about work that takes place on an evening out.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 5:24 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i have 7 weeks vacation this year..so far i have taken 0 days.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the young co workers dont always converse well or they prefer to sit on an electronic device.

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I had age group of 23-30 when I was at the bank. I am always up for a few beers and a laugh. However, I found them boring compared to any younger ones I worked with back in the UK. Not much craic and seemingly incapable of having even a moderately in depth conversation. Wasn't even the normally hilarious bitching session about work that takes place on an evening out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.