Reload this Page >

Work culture in Canada

Work culture in Canada

Old Jul 14th 2016, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

rj9722 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Work culture in Canada

Hi all,

My partner and I are considering a move to Canada. He already has a job offer and I am looking.

We are interested to know the differences in work culture compared to the UK and if possible Sweden (where we live now).

Is it similar to the USA- long hours, hierarchical structure, political? We both work in the tech industry, one of us in development the other in project work.

I know it depends on the organisation and role but if generalisations can be made we would be grateful to hear them

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:02 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work culture in Canada

Well, welcome to the world of laid back culture! Yeah of course every workplace is different and there are exceptions but in most places if you are seen as extra efficient or your values clash with the existing work culture then you may not survive there for too long. In Canadian workspace common wisdom dictates that you learn and accept the status quo (and the nepotism based politics) and you would do absolutely fine.

And yes, one more thing. Expect your annual vacation time to be no more than 15 days (that's if you are lucky).
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, which part of Canada will you be living o& are you planning on living close to work, or be doing the 'not to unusual' one-hr travel from home to work, which is commonplace in certain areas here?

Work is work, just get on with it, do a good job & whinge about how you are over worked, underpaid

Zero sense of humour here compared to other places around the world

Post #2 covered the rest
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Wow thanks for the input!

Edo- so it is bad to be extra efficient? Have you ever heard of anyone negotiating more than 15 days?

not2old- Vancouver. No idea about the commute as we don't have a place yet.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

For BC, on Vacation/Holiday pay & eligibility - you could try to negotiate, most employers will do it by the book as per the 'employment standards' minimums

Annual Vacation Factsheet - Province of British Columbia

Employment standards act for BC

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/em...ment-standards
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

on commute times, FWIW to give you a general idea

Table Mode of transportation and average commuting time to get to work in Montr�al, Toronto and Vancouver census metropolitan areas
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rj9722
...Have you ever heard of anyone negotiating more than 15 days?...
There are very many Brits on this forum getting as much as they did in the UK and others getting not as much but still more than the North American norm.

Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the links and info everyone! Really helpful

The commute time doesn't concern me too much now, more the working environment.

(I created a new thread about the vacations to be clear)
Old Jul 14th 2016, 10:55 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

The employed positions I've taken here (in BC) have offered 25 days vacation, with 2 extra days per year accrued after each year of employment. Add statutory days off on top and it's not so bad.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 11:03 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thanks for the input!

1. Edo- so it is bad to be extra efficient?

2. Have you ever heard of anyone negotiating more than 15 days?
1. Indeed it is. Especially if you end up working for the government here

2. Yes. But none of them got it. Most companies have a strict policy on vacation allowance which is tied in to the grading of the job. Senior executives like directors and VPs do get up to 4 weeks though.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
1. Indeed it is. Especially if you end up working for the government here

2. Yes. But none of them got it. Most companies have a strict policy on vacation allowance which is tied in to the grading of the job. Senior executives like directors and VPs do get up to 4 weeks though.
I have never been offered less than 3 weeks and have always been able to negotiate that amount upwards. I've never been a director or a VP
Old Jul 15th 2016, 12:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it similar to the USA
Yes. I've worked in all but six States and in Ontario, always as some sort of contract computer person. Clients have included government departments, manufacturers, insurance companies, universities, banks, all sorts, even a TV company back when they were important. I wouldn't say there is any significant difference between the office culture of firms within each industry in Ontario vs. the US.

That said, the US probably isn't as you think of it. For example, I can only recall one desk with NRA memorabilia.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 1:31 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I work with many small companies in and around Vancouver. Each has its own corporate culture. It is impossible to generalize.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info everyone!

Specifically in terms of working hours what is more common- 40 hr weeks or 60 hr week?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info everyone!

Specifically in terms of working hours what is more common- 40 hr weeks or 60 hr week?
Depends on the environment. If it's development for a company that uses computers, a bank or insurance company, then 40. If it's a software company then 60.