Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Woohoo the Citizenship oath is staying.

Woohoo the Citizenship oath is staying.

Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woohoo the Citizenship oath is staying.

Originally Posted by sharkus
Exactly!
Though I thought swearing allegiance to the Queen was odd, seeing as I'm a British citizen, I wanted citizenship, doing this was a condition of that, so I did it. I don't see that it has caused me any problems, and don't suspect it ever will.

I fully expect that no matter who or what you had to pledge an oath to these people would still complain. Some just like to kick up a fuss.
I can imagine you blindly leading the life of the penguin, as you blindly fall off the cliff following others without question...I guess history doesn't mean much to some people. You make a great case for why the pledging of an oath to a Queen should be abolished, since it clearly only exists as a bureaucratic hurdle for you.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:53 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

it's a little like the Canada national anthem they get you to sing

"our home and native land" ...

....erm no actually that's kind of why I'm here today!
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:18 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuabroad
I can imagine you blindly leading the life of the penguin, as you blindly fall off the cliff following others without question...I guess history doesn't mean much to some people. You make a great case for why the pledging of an oath to a Queen should be abolished, since it clearly only exists as a bureaucratic hurdle for you.
Given I'm clearly an imbecile and know nothing of this history you mention, care to enlighten me? (yes, I am being serious)
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuabroad
Wouldn't that be a lemming?
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:34 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Wouldn't that be a lemming?
Great, now you're calling me a lemming

Anyone else want to insult me?
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Great, now you're calling me a lemming

Anyone else want to insult me?
Oops sorry, not the intention I was having trouble making sense of the post altogether, so thought I would correct the only bit I could follow.
I was attempting to stick up for you, best laid plans of mice, men, penguins and lemmings.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:49 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Now you're calling me a mouse! Jeez, will it ever end (I know you're kidding )
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

Its a bunch of words FFS and if you say them you become a citizen of Canada.
I don't see anything in the oath that says you have to pay the Queen any additional taxes, sign over your first born, join the Armed Forces or sacrifice a goat.
As soon as you receive that citizenship certificate you are free to be critical of the said monarch.
Citizenship is not a right unless born in Canada or meet the provisions as laid out as to who is a Canadian citizen. These people are free to remain as permanent residents should they choose not to take the oath or would lose their citizenship of the country they cam from and that is usually because that country doesn't allow dual citizenship and not because Canada insists that they denounce it like the USA does.
If Canada in the future decides it doesn't want a monarchical system of Government then no oath to the Queen or whoever is reigning will be required.
Here is a sample of other countries oaths or pledges
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_citizenship
Old Feb 28th 2015, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now you're calling me a mouse! Jeez, will it ever end (I know you're kidding )
Actually as the plan was mine, that makes me the mouse. You can stick to being the penguin and the lemming.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
it's a little like the Canada national anthem they get you to sing

"our home and native land" ...

....erm no actually that's kind of why I'm here today!
I was taught that it was 'home on native land', I suppose you could slip that into the oath?
Old Feb 28th 2015, 4:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Here is a sample of other countries oaths or pledges
As far as I'm concerned it's not about what other countries do, it's about all citizens supposedly being equal yet something is only required of some of them.

One might also argue the requirement be waived for those citizens of another country with the same monarch. After all, some people need a visa and some don't so there is already 'preferential' treatment for people coming to Canada.

As for the words, it wouldn't matter to me but if there was a "tick as desired" for citizenship, then I'd tick to say no oath, just as I would opt to affirm in court. But if affirming wasn't an option, I'd not refuse to appear or refuse to tell the truth.

Of course, if they are "just a bunch of words" why be so moved to start a thread on it with a whoop of delight?
Old Mar 1st 2015, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I suppose I could google, but do you know if new UK citizens getting naturalized even have to do it? I doubt it.
For new British citizens, they have the option to choose between the Queen or God.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

But here's the dumb question, If you REALLY had a problem with it could you not take the pledge and keep your other hands fingers crossed...as has been said, it's just words, and by that gesture, and uttering..jinxxy...under your breath at end of the pledge it means nothing of the oath applies under sub clause 4, section II of the school playground oaths act of Scotland...<sub para..false swear>
Old Mar 1st 2015, 9:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
For new British citizens, they have the option to choose between the Queen or God.
I see. Whose God?
Old Mar 1st 2015, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
sacrifice a goat.
That's the other lot...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.