Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Woohoo the Citizenship oath is staying.

Woohoo the Citizenship oath is staying.

Old Feb 27th 2015, 11:33 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woohoo the Citizenship oath is staying.

I found it a bit odd to take the oath. I thought it was a given, considering my place of birth.

It will disappear eventually, as will any constitutional links. That's be a bureaucratic pain (money, passports, just about every piece of official paper...).

Not to mention flags. Over half the provincial ones could do with changing, not to mention Montreal's flag!
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

BeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond repute

Just cross your fingers and toes and it means the opposite!
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
The same issue exists in Britain. People want to move there but then object to British customs...
I hadn't realised it was a British thing to swear an oath to the queen. I'm pretty sure I didn't (even with her pinning one on me ) and I'm almost certain that the overwhelming majority of the population hasn't.

I imagine it's something similar in Canada. Even in this province where schoolkids sing Oh Canada every day in some schools. Unless there's a line in it where the oath is sworn and that counts.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I hadn't realised it was a British thing to swear an oath to the Queen.
I meant people immigrate to Britain and then object to British custom and practice.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Not to mention flags. Over half the provincial ones could do with changing, not to mention Montreal's flag!
They all look fine to me...

Some people seem set on changing history though.

Although they should all probably change to something associated with the pre-European pre-'Canada' era, or something associated with how each Province is now.

Alberta could have a plain black flag with a sinking ship in the middle, or maybe an oversize truck with a 12 inch lift and a man with a small penis...

BC Could have something with a Pine Beetle on it, or the motto 'Mortgaged Till I Die'

etc

Last edited by withabix; Feb 27th 2015 at 1:19 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I meant people immigrate to Britain and then object to British custom and practice.
I wouldn't disagree on much of the "other stuff" - that's where the pledge comes in - but I don't see why one can't want to move somewhere, be productive, responsible and all the rest of it but just not want to swear an oath to anybody.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:23 pm
Oscar nominated

Alberta could have a plain black flag with a sinking ship in the middle, or maybe an oversize truck with a 12 inch lift and a man with a small penis...

BC Could have something with a Pine Beetle on it, or the motto 'Mortgaged Till I Die'

New Brunswick could have one with a snow shaker, but two-thirds of it solid snow.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

scotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura about

I, personally, find it strange that in order to obtain Canadian citizenship you have to swear allegiance to an old lady(head of state or not she is a foreign non-resident head of state) living thousands of miles away in London, England.
Surely it would make more sense to swear allegiance to Canada and the people who live here?

But in saying that until it changes, which I think it has to at some stage in the future, then people will just have to live with it
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:27 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I did my British Citizenship ceremony in December 2013, and I definitely had to swear allegiance.

As long as the Queen is Head of State, I think the swearing should be there. These people are already PR; there's no hard requirement to become citizens... and right now, becoming a citizen means taking that oath. Don't want to take that oath? Don't become a citizen. Simples.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotty1974
I, personally, find it strange that in order to obtain Canadian citizenship you have to swear allegiance to an old lady(head of state or not she is a foreign non-resident head of state) living thousands of miles away in London, England.
Surely it would make more sense to swear allegiance to Canada and the people who live here?
Totally agree. Whenever I go to the Post Office I make a special request when buying stamps for any stamp that doesn't have the Queen on it. How is this country ever going to free itself of the shackles of the Commonwealth if we keep on hanging on to the outdated idea of the Queen being the monarch here.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I did my British Citizenship ceremony in December 2013, and I definitely had to swear allegiance.

As long as the Queen is Head of State, I think the swearing should be there. These people are already PR; there's no hard requirement to become citizens... and right now, becoming a citizen means taking that oath. Don't want to take that oath? Don't become a citizen. Simples.
I don't want to become a citizen, but as a point of principal, and I whilst I accept it's largely symbolic, I wouldnt pledge allegiance to anyone.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by scotty1974
Or to Tim Horton's.

I wonder if Mohammed Emwazi swore an oath to the queen. Can we sue?

Originally Posted by Jericho79
I don't want to become a citizen, but as a point of principal, and I whilst I accept it's largely symbolic, I wouldnt pledge allegiance to anyone.
Not even to Sidney Crosby? Shame on you.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'll swear allegiance to our German head of state when she removes the part about hammering rebellious Scots from her national anthem:

"...Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!..."

The idea that someone has "Royal Blood" and should be worshipped is mideval and should be outlawed in any modern inclusive society. It's a ridiculous notion. Pledge your allegiance to your country by all means and the values which it represents...not to the person wearing the silly hat. Having a Class system is why many of us enjoy living outside the UK away from it, Royalty continues to represent this idea that there is someone "better" than you. Anyone defending it is a blind sentimentalist, or works for the London Tourism Bureau.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:55 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuabroad
I'll swear allegiance to our German head of state when she removes the part about hammering rebellious Scots from her national anthem:

"...Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!..."

The idea that someone has "Royal Blood" and should be worshipped is mideval and should be outlawed in any modern inclusive society. It's a ridiculous notion. Pledge your allegiance to your country by all means and the values which it represents...not to the person wearing the silly hat. Having a Class system is why many of us enjoy living outside the UK away from it, Royalty continues to represent this idea that there is someone "better" than you. Anyone defending it is a blind sentimentalist, or works for the London Tourism Bureau.
You're not a "Loyal Scot"? Oh dear
Old Feb 28th 2015, 11:30 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly!
Though I thought swearing allegiance to the Queen was odd, seeing as I'm a British citizen, I wanted citizenship, doing this was a condition of that, so I did it. I don't see that it has caused me any problems, and don't suspect it ever will.

I fully expect that no matter who or what you had to pledge an oath to these people would still complain. Some just like to kick up a fuss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.