Winnipeg

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winnipeg

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Thats the same in most cities, the undesirables come out at night, any city in any country has the same issue, thats why a lot of brits i know settled out in the country here.
Perhaps, but having lived in a number of Canadian cities, I feel Winnipeg is the worst. Walking around downtown Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal at night is no problem. Walking around downtown at Edmonton at night can get a bit sketchy. Walk around downtown Winnipeg at night and people think YOU'RE the crazy one.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Perhaps, but having lived in a number of Canadian cities, I feel Winnipeg is the worst. Walking around downtown Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal at night is no problem. Walking around downtown at Edmonton at night can get a bit sketchy. Walk around downtown Winnipeg at night and people think YOU'RE the crazy one.
I've never had the "opportunity" to spend any time in Winnipeg.

Shame really. Oh yes.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Winnipeg is a sh*t hole- no offence to anyone who lives there, but it is.

It reminds me of I am Legend when it gets dark- all the undesirables come out.
hahaha amazing visual!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
have you found the covered walkways though the stores downtown & the underground ones so you dont have to go out in the cold so much ?
Common sense stuff like dont use an ATM (cashpoint) if someone is hanging around (specially aboriginal indians)
Of course I have, (although a lot of the downtown shopping malls were being refurbished last winter so it was a bit of a mess) - we mainly avoid the downtown area anyway so I don't have any issue with it. It's the same as a lot of cities - I wouldn't particularly want to be hanging around Melbourne city centre in the middle of the night either, there's a bunch of crazies there lol
I actually feel incredibly sorry for the down and outs here - I don't think anyone would choose that path and if you had the means you would get yourself straight pretty damn quick after a few nights out in -40.

Better still use the drive-thru ATM's - it's a great invention.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever watched Fargo? Winnipeg is located north of Fargo. Winnipeg is perhaps one of the more interesting cities in the Canadian prairies, if not for its unique history, architecture, and arts scene. I'd rather live in Winnipeg than Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, and perhaps even Calgary. However, it would be isolating as hell.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Dickhanson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm moving back home to winnipeg in July 2015 and can't wait. I've been living in the UK for over 3 years now on the Isle of wight. I miss the winters and mosquitoes lol. Just found this forum and it's full of info which is great like shipping companys,how to transfer money etc

Last edited by Dickhanson; Sep 25th 2014 at 6:55 am.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dickhanson
Hi I'm moving back home to winnipeg in July 2015 and can't wait. I've been living in the UK for over 3 years now on the Isle of wight. I miss the winters and mosquitoes lol

Hey. Welcome to BE.

I miss Dorset , the coastline and visiting the Isle of Wight so I feel your........whatever it is .

Not long now then. Happy Days ahead.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Winnipeg gets a bad rap from the rest of the country, usually based on 3rd hand experiences, often from people who have never actually either visited nor lived here.

Yes it has its socio-economic issues and associated problems, but so does every sizeable city. Huge efforts are going into cleaning up the problems. I feel much safer here than I ever did in any city in the UK or Europe (I have lived in 7 countries and 32 cities being in the hotel trade)

As a mentioned in an earlier post, stay away from the cheap housing areas in the North end and down town housing wise; you will find that anything south of the Red River will be a safe and enjoyable area.

Winters are very cold but that so long as you dress appropriately its business as usual.

I lived in Nova Scotia before here, moved due to work, and would take Winnipeg over Halifax without any question, the life style is night and day, and Winnipeg has one of the lowest costs of living in the country. As it is self sufficient and always has been, it is never badly effected by economic downturns, we just get on with life as normal.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
Winnipeg gets a bad rap from the rest of the country, usually based on 3rd hand experiences, often from people who have never actually either visited nor lived here.

Yes it has its socio-economic issues and associated problems, but so does every sizeable city. Huge efforts are going into cleaning up the problems. I feel much safer here than I ever did in any city in the UK or Europe (I have lived in 7 countries and 32 cities being in the hotel trade)

As a mentioned in an earlier post, stay away from the cheap housing areas in the North end and down town housing wise; you will find that anything south of the Red River will be a safe and enjoyable area.

Winters are very cold but that so long as you dress appropriately its business as usual.

I lived in Nova Scotia before here, moved due to work, and would take Winnipeg over Halifax without any question, the life style is night and day, and Winnipeg has one of the lowest costs of living in the country. As it is self sufficient and always has been, it is never badly effected by economic downturns, we just get on with life as normal.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Loathe the place with a vengeance , whole province is hugely in dept($32billion) and Winnipeg reflects this in so many ways .
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:17 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hi.
I lived on the outskirts of and worked in Winnipeg for 8 years but have since moved to the West Kootenays in BC. I was once a passionate defender of Winnipeg as our family was able to establish itself in Canada and prosper there.
The main benefit of Winnipeg when I moved there in 2005 was house prices. Current demand has meant that it is no longer the case. It appears to have caught up with other areas.

Although it has an interesting history and lots of culture, for me the brutal climate, I am sorry to say makes it a horrible place. Not only is the winter extremely cold, it is also depressingly long. Spring is dominated by talk of flooding. Summer is hot and humid and often ruined by mosquitoes. Autumn is time to winterize!
However, it is prosperous and diverse. If you are eager to get to Canada and this is your way in, then I encourage you to embrace the opportunity. If you can cope with Winnipeg, then anywhere else in Canada is a breeze.
Any more questions. Just ask away.
Darren
Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Republic of Kateland is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also in Winnipeg and yes, the winters are fairly brutal (I remember one day with a -52 degree wind-chill a few winters ago, when I was visiting, yet I still moved here) but it doesn't stop anyone and nothing stops because of it.

You will have to pretty much drive everywhere as who wants to be outside for more than a few moments when it's -30 outside! It is, however, very pleasant in summer, with low amount of rain and warm, sunny days. Lots of countryside and lakes around so great if you're outdoorsy or love to camp. Downtown Winnipeg isn't great at night, but why would you be there anyway most of the time? Most stores are in malls due to the climate and aren't in downtown.

Rent prices are pretty decent too compared with the more major cities. Winnipeg is fairly isolated though, no other big cities near it, unless you count Regina about five hours away. The nearest major city is probably Minneapolis and that's a good 8 hour drive with a border crossing.

Plus points: It has Ikea, it has great access to the lakes, it has warm, sunny summers, and a fair few blue sky winter days too, a lovely park in Assiniboine Park and a great international airport.

Pretty quick commute to most places with a huge ring road that goes just about everywhere (Perimeter Highway) and easy access to the Trans Canada Highway number One if you get sick of Winnipeg and want to try somewhere else.

I will say one thing though, I've never seen such a weirdly organised road system or frustrating amount of bad driving than I have in Winnipeg. Granted it has more pot holes than any place that isn't the Moon.

As others have said, it gets a fair amount of snow but nothing like the east coast. It's there usually from mid-November until the beginning of May, so you better learn to at least tolerate it as it can make you a bit colour blind (all that white).

Good luck with your decision!
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

gibjam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gowest
Anyone living in winnipeg or have experience or opinion on what it's like
What areas are good to live in for a family?
Just exploring options and a possible job opportunity had come up in winnipeg vicinity
Thanks
I moved to Winnipeg back in April with my family from London (UK) and can only echo Scotdownunder (Hi A.).

Winnipeg is a great place during the summer, lots to do, weather is great. I am yet to experience winter, but will simply dress for the occassion. Sorted!

Yes it is easy to moan about winnipeg (and I find reason in my short time of being here) but it really isn't that bad, and certainly no worse than other cities.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibjam
I moved to Winnipeg back in April with my family from London (UK) and can only echo Scotdownunder (Hi A.).

Winnipeg is a great place during the summer, lots to do, weather is great. I am yet to experience winter, but will simply dress for the occassion. Sorted!

Yes it is easy to moan about winnipeg (and I find reason in my short time of being here) but it really isn't that bad, and certainly no worse than other cities.
Hi.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Dickhanson is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody ship a container to winnipeg from UK and if so what were the prices. Thinking of shipping my furniture and stuff if the price is right. If not sell it all lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.