Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

WildfireV2's questions about whether life in Canada is better?

WildfireV2's questions about whether life in Canada is better?

Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WildfireV2's questions about whether life in Canada is better?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Like Shard, I'm in the UK, and in the South East. There are actually a lot of us on the forums that live in the UK having been in Canada previously, so don't assume that everybody on here left the UK decades ago!

I can only see fields and trees from my window, and most days don't see a living creature other than a deer or guinea fowl crossing the garden, no urban sprawl where I am.
Good job i don't live there the deer wouldn't make it across the garden, only as far as my freezer lol

Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Good job i don't live there the deer wouldn't make it across the garden, only as far as my freezer lol

I have got some in the freezer, and pheasant, and other local creatures! We're very 1950's about it in our house though, hubby shoots it and I cook it until it tastes nice.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I have got some in the freezer, and pheasant, and other local creatures! We're very 1950's about it in our house though, hubby shoots it and I cook it until it tastes nice.
mmm me too if it tastes good and i spotted while out with the 12 bore it was food lol Just makes a nice change to bought meat ? Plus before i got my class 1 at 21 i was a butchers cutter in a traditional butchers shop in a small town so can make short work of a dear lol
You know it was 22 years ago i was getting 5 quid for a wild rabbit in that shop & 15 quid for a hare lol I was doing so much of that i had Hull Cartridge Company delivering my cartridges in a case of 1000 lol (my dad knew the drivers)
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

mmm me too if it tastes good and i spotted while out with the 12 bore it was food lol Just makes a nice change to bought meat ? Plus before i got my class 1 at 21 i was a butchers cutter in a traditional butchers shop in a small town so can make short work of a dear lol
You know it was 22 years ago i was getting 5 quid for a wild rabbit in that shop & 15 quid for a hare lol I was doing so much of that i had Hull Cartridge Company delivering my cartridges in a case of 1000 lol (my dad knew the drivers)
If you worked in a butchers then no wonder you can make short work of it! You'd be a handy man to have around in our house. The only animal we can't do ourselves are our pigs, we've got some coming in a month or so as piglets but when they're old enough they have to be sent to the abattoir due to regulations.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

hmm theres quite a few brits east of winnipeg who have hog roasts (big piglets) and a canadian guy kills them by stabbing them in the heart then prepping them at their homes lol Or he did he passed away himself last year. Surprising what you can get away with out in the boonies. Some said they where going to ask me to take over that one but i moved away.
Last one was a 50th birthday i was at and that big piglet tasted awesome
Old Feb 27th 2015, 5:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

hmm theres quite a few brits east of winnipeg who have hog roasts (big piglets) and a canadian guy kills them by stabbing them in the heart then prepping them at their homes lol Or he did he passed away himself last year. Surprising what you can get away with out in the boonies. Some said they where going to ask me to take over that one but i moved away.
Last one was a 50th birthday i was at and that big piglet tasted awesome
It's my 40th next year, we're planning a hog roast with one of our piggies.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What do your children think of that ?
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Try to get it to the grill or whatever while it still has its natural body heat, you wont believe how good it tastes if you manage that without refrigerating it.

Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Shard
What do your children think of that ?
They're fine with it (although it did take my daughter - who adores animals, wants to be a vet and I suspect will be a veggie when she's old enough to choose) a while to get her head around it.

But they're very matter of fact about things like that usually, we live in the farmhouse of a working farm (the farm isn't ours though, but it surrounds us) and know that the calves they go and stroke every day soon become Aberdeen Angus burgers, the 5000 pheasant, partridge and guinea fowl chicks they help to feed are being reared for shoots, etc. The last time we hatched some ducklings I had to kill one and they both wanted to watch me do it!
Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

They're fine with it (although it did take my daughter - who adores animals, wants to be a vet and I suspect will be a veggie when she's old enough to choose) a while to get her head around it.

But they're very matter of fact about things like that usually, we live in the farmhouse of a working farm (the farm isn't ours though, but it surrounds us) and know that the calves they go and stroke every day soon become Aberdeen Angus burgers, the 5000 pheasant, partridge and guinea fowl chicks they help to feed are being reared for shoots, etc. The last time we hatched some ducklings I had to kill one and they both wanted to watch me do it!
Gosh!

I can't walk past the fish counter at Sainsbury's without getting an earful!
Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good way for pheasants is a .22 air rifle with hunting pellets and a torch at night, they perch in trees, put the torch light on them and they freeze, take your time aiming for a head shot and one pellet kill, just pick off as many as you want, just don't let the game keeper catch you lol
How did you kill the duck ?
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Shard
Gosh!

I can't walk past the fish counter at Sainsbury's without getting an earful!
my two are country bumpkins and we have a huge amount of animals, so they've had to get used to it I guess. You can't have a flock of chickens if you're squeamish about wringing a neck if necessary. Although after one of the guinea pigs died on Xmas day, we did pretend to bury it - not sure the kids would have appreciated us saying 'sorry guys but the ground's too hard so we've just lobbed it over the hedge in to the fields as a tasty snack for the red kites' somehow.

Good way for pheasants is a .22 air rifle with hunting pellets and a torch at night, they perch in trees, put the torch light on them and they freeze, take your time aiming for a head shot and one pellet kill, just pick off as many as you want, just don't let the game keeper catch you lol
How did you kill the duck ?
No gamekeeper, and we can join the farm shoots any time we want anyway. And just by the neck (apologies to any squeamish people reading, but it hatched and was completely deformed, so had to be done).

I think this might just win the 'thread most taken off track' award, sorry OP. You've not posted for a while but do come back and get your thread back on track if you wish!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 27th 2015 at 9:08 pm.