Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

eduardj72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Why move to Canada?

Hi everyone. I ve been trying to find an answer from the posts on this forum but so far failed. This is the reason I am posting a direct question. Why do people immigrate to Canada? I am from the former soviet union republic and I understand why people what to leave those countries, but I am somewhat bewildered when people from the UK-a quite well off country with stable economy decide to immigrate to Canada or Australia. Can somebody give me a few ideas why?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

For sex.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE,

Many reasons.

Better job offer came out of the blue (thats what got me here)

Love of skiing

Fell in love with a Canadian (some before they come, some like me, afterwards)

Perception of less crime, more opportunities for the kids (holds for some areas, but not all)

Lower property costs mean UK property can be cashed in on and leveraged into a fancier house here.

For the adventure

To get out of a mid life rut

etc etc.

Stick around, read a few threads, you will get the drift

The UK is something of a mixed bag. Its expensive, on a good salary its a great place to live. On a lower or middle class income its a struggle to balance the mortgage and car expenses and find a decent place you can afford to live. Here in Canada its probably a better lifestlye for the middle classes as the mortgage need not rule your expenses if you can find one of the cheaper cities to live and not worry about crime or chavy behaviour interrupting your day to day life.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 18th 2010 at 8:17 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Fell in love with a Canadian (some before they come, some like me, afterwards)
I was more succinct.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:06 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:29 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's there.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not moved yet, but intend to, and here's why...

First of all, I'd like to piont out, I do not hate my Country.

Scotland is actually one of the most beautifull places you will ever visit, and the people who live there are not all bad.

But it's changing, and every day I see another reason that I'd rather live somewhere else.

I'll give you some recent examples.

I walk my dog in a nice recently landcaped area of what used to be barren wasteland. The local council has spent hundreds of thousands on making it a pleasant safe place to be for young families.

However, it is seldom used for the purpose it was built. Every other day I will see something the local neds have detroyed or defaced.

There was a nice wooded fence built around a bridge to prevent kids from falling in the river.... the neds broke it up and used the wood for a camp fire....

at least once a week someone will have dumped a fridge or a couch along the path, because they just can't be bothered taking it a mile up the road to the dump, which would cost them nothing by the way......

..yesterday I doscovered someone had dragged a couple of bags of household waste onto the path and set them on fire "for a laugh" so now there's old meat, tea bags etc all over the place....

... the council has planted young trees all along the edges of the area, and put plastic tubing around them to protect them against the elements...... yes, that lasted a day and the neds had pulled them all down...

Breaks my heart to our country getting destroyed by mindless scumbags who's mother just couldn't keep their legs shut.

Then there's the jelousy and racial hatred.

I bought my wife a cute little sportscar last year. It was only £700, and needed a bit of work which I did, total cost about £900. But it looks great.
I took it round to the post office yesterday to send off some prints I had sold. When I came back, after only 5 minutes, someone has spat all over the windscreen! What's that all about???

But the icing on the cake for me was a few years ago. I was getting really sick of it all, so we decided to head up north with the cararvan and chill out for a while. I took my fishing gear, and dreams of catching "the big one".

All was going great. I had decided on a spot for fishing, and I setup my gear next to a remote loch near Thurso, the most Northerly point of mainland Britain. What do I see beside me? Empty crisp packets and beer cans.

So, why Canada?

Well, I always dreamed of living in America as a child, but I didn't realise then that the America I knew, was only what Hollywood wanted us to see.

I've been to Florida a few times, and nice as it is, it doesn't feel "real" or "honest" and it has no scenery worth mentioning, lol. I know it's only a tiny part of the USA, but it was USA none the less.

Then we went to visit my wife's Aunt in Canada. Vancouver Island to be precise. We instantly fell in love.

Her aunt offered her jeep to us if we wanted to go exploring. I don't think she realised what she had done, lol. Next day we were heading through the Rockies in an open-top jeep, like Mork and Mindy

We stopped to film a bear at the side of the road, them promtly left as it took an interest in us New undies please.

Ended up in Calgary. We were so blown away by the whole experience we even looked at house way back then.

In the four weeks we were there, we never saw litter, or vandalism or met a doped-up junky. Nothing but happy, welcoming people.

How could you not want to live in a place like that?

We fully interogated Ailsa's aunt when we returned to make sure we were'nt imagining all this, and of course her answer was simple, "why do you think I made the move over here?"

So my reasons are not for the bigger house, or cheaper cars or whatever, it's the country and people themselves
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
For sex.
Hey, you didn't need to move to Canada for that, we have Kleenex in Britain!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:57 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I am completely in agreement with the Dave n Ailsa;s post. I am sick of worrying about going down the road to Tescos express because of all the scumbags hanging about, and this is meant to be a nice area.
At night sometimes the same people argue outside my bedroom window, shouting and screaming obscentities and leaning on my car!! But I dare not ask them to move on for fear of reprisals

Nowadays, in my view, some people will stab at will if you so much as look at them in what they perceive to be the wrong way.
I dont like taking my children to the local park as their area is full of fag ends and broken bottles and the swings are broken, all by bored teenagers.

I was a teen once, I didnt behave this way, I am sure its just getting worse and worse.
I too am looking to move for nicer people, when I went to Toronto I was blown away by the people.

I too had exactly the same view on the USA, and I love Florida, but I realise that this is Hollywood USA, I am hoping to find a safer, quieter life in Nova Scotia with more chance for my children to remain children for longer
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I cant help but think of the observation that "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Why dont the good people of Britain stand up against their teenage oppressors?

Has the media really got everyone so scared of the idea that they will turn violent?

Does that really happen? (Not media reports of it, actual personal experience)

It just doesn't tie in with what my family say about the places that they live (Fife, Woking, North Beds)

Canada, especially the larger cities, has its social problems too, drug culture, gang shootings, panhandlers etc etc, even <gasp> graffiti and vandalism!

Last edited by iaink; Feb 18th 2010 at 9:11 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:09 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

To make lots of filthy lucre.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

backhomeagain will become famous soon enough

I just received an email from somebody on here - am I mis-reading it or is there an element of truth by what is written?

"White Canadian’s are very false. They must learn the art of backstabbing in hockey at an early age, or something. They'll be 'nice' to your face while spreading lies about you to your co workers or even your boss. Don't ever talk about something controversial with them either, like politics. Basically they're mild mannered, passive-aggressive twits that are best dealt with aggressively. Don't ever think they're your friends. The only friend a Wasp Canadian has is a dog or cat. People to them are lower than rats.
Just suck what you can out of them before they're able to suck what they want out of you....because, make no mistake. You are only as good as what you can do for them, and only as long as you are able to do it. You're just a number to them.
What do you expect from a people where no one talks to one another in the streets, people dress shabbily, they live to work and not work to live and for whom the highest aspiration is to watch hockey with a beer in one hand and channel changer in the other.

Wait till China and India take over your economy
By the way, if you are educated you should know China & India are bigger economies in term of GDP than Canada. Play hockey, drink beer you uneducated jerks.

Mmmmm - food for thought for the foreign worker
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eduardj72
Hi everyone. I ve been trying to find an answer from the posts on this forum but so far failed. This is the reason I am posting a direct question. Why do people immigrate to Canada? I am from the former soviet union republic and I understand why people what to leave those countries, but I am somewhat bewildered when people from the UK-a quite well off country with stable economy decide to immigrate to Canada or Australia. Can somebody give me a few ideas why?
Because the UK is full of people from the Soviet Union
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:28 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert
I just received an email from somebody on here - am I mis-reading it or is there an element of truth by what is written?

"White Canadian’s are very false. They must learn the art of backstabbing in hockey at an early age, or something. They'll be 'nice' to your face while spreading lies about you to your co workers or even your boss. Don't ever talk about something controversial with them either, like politics. Basically they're mild mannered, passive-aggressive twits that are best dealt with aggressively. Don't ever think they're your friends. The only friend a Wasp Canadian has is a dog or cat. People to them are lower than rats.
Just suck what you can out of them before they're able to suck what they want out of you....because, make no mistake. You are only as good as what you can do for them, and only as long as you are able to do it. You're just a number to them.
What do you expect from a people where no one talks to one another in the streets, people dress shabbily, they live to work and not work to live and for whom the highest aspiration is to watch hockey with a beer in one hand and channel changer in the other.

Wait till China and India take over your economy
By the way, if you are educated you should know China & India are bigger economies in term of GDP than Canada. Play hockey, drink beer you uneducated jerks.

Mmmmm - food for thought for the foreign worker
Yes, all white Canadians are like that, and we're all very worried about China and India having bigger economies.

Who'd have thunked that could ever have happened, given the population discrepancies?

It's a terribly depressing and insular place.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

backhomeagain will become famous soon enough

Why move to Canada?
With over 150,000 Canadians leaving every week - in four years this country will be devoid of Candians. (hehehe)

But you can all take peace of mind that every month 250,000 foreign workers will be here to take your place. Mmmm, think of all those Chinese, Colombians, Vietnamese, Asians, and Africans taking over the Maple leaf.

Oooh, doesnt it make you wanna grab a Molsen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.