Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Oct 30th 2004, 5:44 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

Mid Vancouver Island.
I appreciate if you need to be in a City prices are getting dearer, but still no where near London prices. I live by the coast in UK and our house has been valued at 4 times what we paid for it 8 years ago, you cannot buy a one bedroomed apartment here for what we have in Canada.

I
Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Gooding,

Where in Canada do you own property?
Old Oct 30th 2004, 6:21 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by gooding
Mid Vancouver Island.
I appreciate if you need to be in a City prices are getting dearer, but still no where near London prices. I live by the coast in UK and our house has been valued at 4 times what we paid for it 8 years ago, you cannot buy a one bedroomed apartment here for what we have in Canada.

I
If things work out, I'd like to take a nice long vacation on Vancouver Island sooner rather than later.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

Old Oct 30th 2004, 6:47 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gooding
Mid Vancouver Island.

I
What city? Do you own property in Nanaimo?
Old Oct 30th 2004, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Glaswegian]If things work out, I'd like to take a nice long vacation on Vancouver Island sooner rather than later.

You want to take a nice long vacation on Vancouver Island......you're kidding right? Thought this would be the last place you'd want to visit or live.

Old Oct 30th 2004, 9:08 pm
Glaswegian

[QUOTE=willmore]
Originally Posted by Glaswegian
If things work out, I'd like to take a nice long vacation on Vancouver Island sooner rather than later.

You want to take a nice long vacation on Vancouver Island......you're kidding right? Thought this would be the last place you'd want to visit or live.

Eh?? I thought it was a holiday destination for people from Calgary?

Something like Skegness is for UK midlands

Old Oct 30th 2004, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE

Well, let's just say you've shown a little bit of contempt to say the least about paradise....so I didn't really think it would be the first choice for the McGrouch family.

Are the boys all set for halloween? What's the plan for the evening? [/QUOTE]
Old Oct 30th 2004, 9:31 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
Well, let's just say you've shown a little bit of contempt to say the least about paradise....so I didn't really think it would be the first choice for the McGrouch family.
Que? You were the one who whined about the rain, not me

Are the boys all set for halloween? What's the plan for the evening?
Their hair is spiked and they're all ready.

The plan is to get out of the house and do something fun ... avoid all the snotty little buggers who come round asking for candy

Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTEAnd of course you were all goodness and light.....and only made positive comments about paradise....hehehe.......
How do they fit the hockey helmet on their head if the hair is spiked.....is this the "look" this year for boys 6/7?

And I'm sure you'll charm one and all with that Scottish charm of yours.......
[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:49 pm
Glaswegian

And of course you were all goodness and light.....and only made positive comments about paradise....hehehe.......
You're the one who mentioned precipitation, not me ...

How do they fit the hockey helmet on their head if the hair is spiked.....
It'll be squashed down first.

Tomorrow will be fun ... it's my oldest kid's first ever league game.

is this the "look" this year for boys 6/7?
Very much so.

Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE
Tomorrow will be fun ... it's my oldest kid's first ever league game.

Well, good luck to him.....I hope his team wins......boy, first league game and then halloween.....quite an exciting day for him....and of course mom and dad will be there to cheer him on.

How about a picture of the Glas family....or just the kids or just you and Mrs. g. I posted a picture of my kids a couple of weeks ago and when I have time am looking for a half decent picture of my husband and I......

[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:08 pm
Glaswegian

How about a picture of the Glas family....
Just imagine a family of Greek gods ... athletic, intellectual, etc ... that'll have to do for now.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just imagine a family of Greek gods ... athletic, intellectual, etc ... that'll have to do for now.
Exactly as I imagine the family....except Mrs. G. has a halo over her head with 3 men in the family

In any case.....if you're comfortable try at some point to find a picture...would be great for everyone to meet your family
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Helen,

Cant help thinking you are a bit misinformed on some of this
Tornadoes and Eartquakes, although they do happen, are very rare, in Ontario anyway.

8 months of winter! Pllleasse! someone is pulling your leg

Car ownership is cheaper, there is a lot less car crime, insurance is only expensive cos of legal / medical liability costs. Car buying, service and fuel, and licensing charges are all a lot less.

IT is the same the world over isnt it after the dot com bust.

Canadian experience factors do affect some people, but on the othre hand Ive never had a problem.

Pay is less because cost of living is less, especially property.

Kids are generally polite and well catered for, there is a lot of organised stuff for them.

My advise is dont emigrate for financial or career advancement reasons, but because you identify with the values and lifestyle of Canada. Holiday allowance is hard to get used to, but general lack of day to day shittyness, and being able to afford 3/4 of an acre with a nice house overlooking a river here on an engineers salary more than makes up for it for me.

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hi Guys,

Well when I first started using this forum about a week ago I was full of enthusiasm. We haven't applied yet - I'm just at the information gathering stage. However, the more I read, the more I ask myself ...

'Why do I want to move to Canada?'...

* There are tornados and earthquakes (?)
* It is winter for 8 months a year
* Car insurance is outrageous
* There are few IT jobs (both my partner and I work in IT)
* Not having any Canadian work experience will make it very difficult to find work.
* We will earn half what we do in the U.K. (if we manage to get a job)

Could anyone help to restore some balance or shed any light on any of the above.

Thanks all.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:05 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
8 months of winter! Pllleasse! someone is pulling your leg
That might have originated with me ... depends how you define winter.

It starts snowing in Calgary in Sept/Oct and finishes in May/June ... during those 8 months, the temperature will be somewhere between -20C and +20C most days, although it could be warmer or colder ... it can be as warm as a summer's day in Glasgow on Christmas Day.

Although the trees are bare for eight months, it's not winter as you know it in the UK.

Most of Canada isn't as freaky as Calgary ... if you want predictable weather, head to Ontario or BC.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 9:22 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Most of Canada isn't as freaky as Calgary ... if you want predictable weather, head to Ontario or BC.
To be honest, we are thinking about Calgary (and that is what we are going to put on the application form). But of course will go where the work is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.