Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 12th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice
Default Why do you want to leave the UK?

Maybe this has been covered before, but it might be too far back for me to find....but as a many-years resident of Canada wondering whether to return, I'd like to know why people want to leave the UK.............so, in more than a nutshell, why?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

got back visit for a fortnight that will sort your head out....there is a huge exodus of British citizens for one reason, the country is going down the toilet...FAST. No respect, no community spirit, over priced, under policed, drunken teenagers causing trouble everywhere at the weekends, need i go on.

Chris
Old Jan 12th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

Originally Posted by cneldred
got back visit for a fortnight that will sort your head out....there is a huge exodus of British citizens for one reason, the country is going down the toilet...FAST. No respect, no community spirit, over priced, under policed, drunken teenagers causing trouble everywhere at the weekends, need i go on.

Chris
I find visits home actually more confusing - I always feel so comfortable there - and I do go for a couple for months at a time, not weeks. I've been here a long time (for me), and find people leave for different reasons from mine all those years ago.....I'm interested to see what those reasons are now
Old Jan 12th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

I have 2 young children and there is no way on this earth i want them growing up in what the UK has become, over here they can look forward to so much the activities we can do as a family summer or winter. In the UK i wouldn't let them play out in the street, and was dreading them becoming teenagers over there. The new happy slapping culture is just another example of how parents have failed to install any mutual respect in kids over there. What is the point is bringing up your kids the right way, to respect each each, work hard, etc etc, if they are going to get dragged down by the majority of kids around them.

Chris
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
I have 2 young children and there is no way on this earth i want them growing up in what the UK has become, over here they can look forward to so much the activities we can do as a family summer or winter. In the UK i wouldn't let them play out in the street, and was dreading them becoming teenagers over there. The new happy slapping culture is just another example of how parents have failed to install any mutual respect in kids over there. What is the point is bringing up your kids the right way, to respect each each, work hard, etc etc, if they are going to get dragged down by the majority of kids around them.

Chris
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505310
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:04 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Two words: property prices.

All the other stuff depends on where you live, but Canada's property prices are still way cheaper than anything you could pick up here.

Example: In Saskatoon, a city where prices have really been on the rise, CAN$200,000 will still buy you a house with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a couple of living rooms, a kitchen and a couple of spare rooms. In the UK you'd have to pretty much double that price (at least) to get anything approaching comparison, and you'll have to be completely flexible about where you live.

I know Saskatoon's not typical of Canada as a whole, but it gives a fairly good picture of the house price difference.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

For me it's the chavs and influx of EU 'migrants', I am a big bloke, bug I just don't feel safe.

The UK has opened it's doors to the HUGE EU massive, allowing the polish, Czech, Romanian. etc etc... exedus.

I have paid into the system for 20+ years and it's these scroungers that are not allowing the UK Government to fulfil their promises to the pensioners and give them back the £££ they have spent all their time paying it\and the NHS can't cope, the schools are bursting at the seams 35+ per class.

I read a report recently that the UK was not even in the top 40 of county's education acheivers,Canada was number 4.

So rather than spend the rest of my life watching my back, I'd ratrher enjoy the quality of life I know it's coming....as soon as I can sell the bloody house!

Rant over~
Chris.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

lucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

MY oh has lived within a mile of where he was born for 45 yrs - Cheltenham Spa in the Cotswolds - and very pleasant it used to be. I have been here for 10 years and in that time the place has just gone downwards. The icing on the cake that made us make the decision to leave was him walking home from our local at around 23.30hrs one summer eve and 5 youngsters aged aroun 13-15 passed him on pushbikes and hurled abuse at him - stupidly he replied ' what did you say? ' and they cam back tohim, surrounded him, asked him for a fight and all pulled screwdrivers on him and went to stab him..... he is 2nd Dan in Karate and decided that he would be better off leaving quick - so he pushed then and ran. The sad thing is we did not go to the police as they do nothing around here - and he felt so angry and humiliated but these kids thought they were supehuman and truly did not give a toss. He said theyseemed to be drugged out of their heads!

We do not go out late at night, especially into Town, we are alarmed and double locked at home and we have still had break-ins and thefts.
UK is becoming so violent, and people just dont seem to care anymore.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
For me it's the chavs and influx of EU 'migrants', I am a big bloke, bug I just don't feel safe.

The UK has opened it's doors to the HUGE EU massive, allowing the polish, Czech, Romanian. etc etc... exedus.

I have paid into the system for 20+ years and it's these scroungers that are not allowing the UK Government to fulfil their promises to the pensioners and give them back the £££ they have spent all their time paying it\and the NHS can't cope, the schools are bursting at the seams 35+ per class.

I read a report recently that the UK was not even in the top 40 of county's education acheivers,Canada was number 4.

So rather than spend the rest of my life watching my back, I'd ratrher enjoy the quality of life I know it's coming....as soon as I can sell the bloody house!

Rant over~
Chris.
I think its for us anyway the adventure, we have a good life, live in a nice place, full of EU but that doesn't bother me too much,except for the spongers but that goes for all spongers, the chavs do and the drink and drugs,
wonder how much you get in Canada, mostly we want to go because we can and for our son to have an outdoors upbringing even in the winter which we don't have here, recent survey showed 26 % of british people are considering leaving the UK in 2008
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
For me it's the chavs and influx of EU 'migrants',
There is no difference in EU Migrants coming to the UK for a better life than you going to Canada for a better life.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:52 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyspoon
MY oh has lived within a mile of where he was born for 45 yrs - Cheltenham Spa in the Cotswolds .
Hester's Way just isn't like it used to be

I know what you mean - I used to work in Montpellier and there are some areas of the town I'd definately feel uncomfortable walking through in an evening.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Danny B
There is no difference in EU Migrants coming to the UK for a better life than you going to Canada for a better life.
Rubbish, there is a big difference between those going to the UK and scrounging and us coming to Canada and grafting..
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
Rubbish, there is a big difference between those going to the UK and scrounging and us coming to Canada and grafting..
Chill young Portsmouth dude. That's not really the comparison he made, is it?

Complaining about immigration per se is rather ironic when you're a potential immigrant yourself - I believe that was the point Danny was making.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Danny B
Maybe not the reason for the move but the DEMANDS they insist on and Complain about when they get here is a different matter.

Protest groups organised when a local coucil refused planning permission for a mosque...so the council overturned it...let them knock down the Christian church and replace it with the mosque.

Having local schools closed down to because the results were so bad in English and Maths tests...reason 52% of the students can't speak English.

Protesting about school uniforms

Demanding interpreters

Commiting crime and not being deported because the government have no balls

etc etc etc

Most do however earn a good living and work hard.

The difference is when we move to Canada we will RESPECT the nation we have moved to. Live by their laws and culture and it is WE who have to fit in there not Canada bow down on bended knee to please me or my family...if we don't like then we can pack up and P**S off but the spinless pricks running this country aint got the balls to say or deliver that.

This country has been lost and will never be able to recover from the mess it is in. SO MANY people slated Enoch Powel for being racist when he made his statements years ago and maybe he was but you have to say alot of what he spoke about has actualy happened...and that is not meant to be racist in any way shape or form.

e.g.

When communities' campaign to maintain customs inappropriate in Britain it is much to be regretted. Working in Britain, particularly in the public services, they should be prepared to accept the terms and conditions of their employment. To claim special communal rights (or should they say rites?) leads to a dangerous fragmentation within society.

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Jan 12th 2008 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Hester's Way just isn't like it used to be

I know what you mean - I used to work in Montpellier and there are some areas of the town I'd definately feel uncomfortable walking through in an evening.
What? Wait!

Rich, are you from Cheltenham??

I was living there up until september, between St Pauls and Pitville.

Fell off my chair the other day when I saw Swedish TV was to start broadcasting Risky Business about The Big Sleep in Cheltenham near Cambury Place. I had my office down there.

All I saw now was "Hester's Way" and dropped my jaw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.