Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rear Fog Lights

Rear Fog Lights

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:07 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rear Fog Lights

I just saw a fog advisory on the news and I'm still confused as to why North American vehicles don't have rear fog lights? Is it because plonkers in the UK can't use them properly, so they decided not to bother?

I mentioned rear fog lights at my Ford dealer once and they looked at me like this
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:37 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rear Fog Lights

Originally Posted by G77
I just saw a fog advisory on the news and I'm still confused as to why North American vehicles don't have rear fog lights? Is it because plonkers in the UK can't use them properly, so they decided not to bother?

I mentioned rear fog lights at my Ford dealer once and they looked at me like this
Probably because no one would use them. They rarely put their lights on here in rain/fog/snow. Most seem to think that they have the daythingy running lights on and that will do.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

The same continent that thought it was a good idea to use flashing red brake lights as turn signal/indicators.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:42 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wizzard
The same continent that thought it was a good idea to use flashing red brake lights as turn signal/indicators.
Seems to have got your attention.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

or drives around with full high beam on in big trucks which shine directly into your mirrors so seems like your being followed by UFOs everywhere as cant see a bloody thing behind you
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:47 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
I hate that. Still not used to it and it delays my reaction when they're braking AND indicating at the same time. Stupid!!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Those big Oldmobila Auroras have them as standard equipment.

Dunno Why.

Maybe north american drivers already know enough to SLOW DOWN in fog so they are less likely to drive into the back of the car in front without the aid of a high intensity rear light. Or perhaps rear lights here are brighter to start with, who knows...
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:27 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

As if the rear end of most cars wasn't bright enough!

I'm glad they don't have rear foglights here... too many eejeits would leave them on all the time.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by G77

Something I recently discovered with our VW. They do not fit North American cars with blind spot mirrors as standard. Apparently they are illegal in the US. Having driven in the UK for years I was somewhat mystified as to the amount of times I would go to change lanes and find there was a car in my blindspot. I put it down to the driving on the other side of the road lark. However now I have found the proper mirrors http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...Mirrors/Glass/ and things are totally different. Now I can see cars coming up behind and by the time they are alongside you can see them with your peripheral vision. You still have to shoulder check, but awareness of other vehicles is massively improved. They also sell euro tail lights with orange indicators and fog lights!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:43 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
As if the rear end of most cars wasn't bright enough
Too true.

I drive one of the offending vehicles.

I was very surprised to see how bright the LED brake lights are on the same model of vehicle on day when I pulled up behind one at a stop light at night.

Unfortunately nothing I can do about it but they are damned bright.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Rather a moment in fog this morning. The road is twisty but surfaced and I know it well. I was going at my customary 80mph, not phoning or texting for once but singing along to the Pretenders, when two bright white lights appeared shining at me.

I thought them too high for a pick up and so assumed a tractor trailer coming at me. I was just about to move right to be sure to be in my lane when I realised they were mounted on the ROPS bar of a tractor and were rear facing. Had I gone to the right of them I'd have been in the ditch. "****ing bumpkins" I thought, reverting to type.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

dontrush2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just on the subject of lights and stuff.....
Does anyone else think that the headlights here don't seem to be as good as in Europe? ( I know, I know.. I can hear the sniggering starting at the back of the room already! ) But honestly, although they look as bright on the outside, it seems like they don't show up stuff as well when you are driving. Probably just me. Though one thing that I miss like hell here are cats eyes and road markings that have a reflective quality in the paint. When it gets wet or mucky, you can't see a thing with regards to centre lines at night.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:51 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontrush2
Just on the subject of lights and stuff.....
Does anyone else think that the headlights here don't seem to be as good as in Europe? ( I know, I know.. I can hear the sniggering starting at the back of the room already! ) But honestly, although they look as bright on the outside, it seems like they don't show up stuff as well when you are driving. Probably just me. Though one thing that I miss like hell here are cats eyes and road markings that have a reflective quality in the paint. When it gets wet or mucky, you can't see a thing with regards to centre lines at night.
You just answered your own question. It's not that the lights here aren't as bright... it's that in Canada, everything is darker to begin with.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

dontrush2 is an unknown quantity at this point

LMAO!! Thanks for that!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:08 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
You just answered your own question. It's not that the lights here aren't as bright... it's that in Canada, everything is darker to begin with.
Cats eyes don't last very long with a snow plow coming along.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.