Why Canada?

Old Apr 7th 2018, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why Canada?

Originally Posted by Davita
Vancouver has an outdoor lifestyle and five seasons.
There's the summer season for a couple of weeks in July/August. The winter season which is a fortnight somewhere around January..... and the wet season, a wetter season and the wettest season...which you can pick from the rest of the year.
Haha... that's 2 seasons more than Britain!
I'm loving the proper seasons here... months of 30+ and then months of skiing. Very little rain and no mud. Perfect!

Why did we choose Canada? Mainly the work/life balance, the space, the outdoor lifestyle.
Expectations definitely met, though we're only 8mths in. We miss friends, family and English pubs but our life here is so much better.
Would we do it again... without a doubt!
Old Apr 7th 2018, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I like shovelling snow in April
Old Apr 7th 2018, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There's the summer season for a couple of weeks in July/August. The winter season which is a fortnight somewhere around January..... and the wet season, a wetter season and the wettest season...which you can pick from the rest of the year.

Not last year!!!

Vancouver (and BC) had sun from the end of May right through to close to the end of September. Total rainfall during those months was less than 5 mm in the coastal areas, but 0 mm in most areas.

That's why we had the worst fire season ever recorded.

Just heard on the news tonight that the long range forecast is more or less the same for this coming year, along with as much dry timber.

Vancouver is after all considered to be in the temperate Rain Forest, with most precip falling in the winter months.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Sisteron, Tende or maybe Menton would suit me.
I spent many summers down that way. Cap d’Agde, Marseillan, Sete. Didn’t like Saint Tropez. Way too touristic.
Aawww to feel the sun on my body again! Friggin snowing here again today!!
Old Apr 7th 2018, 12:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I spent many summers down that way. Cap d’Agde, Marseillan, Sete. Didn’t like Saint Tropez. Way too touristic.
Aawww to feel the sun on my body again! Friggin snowing here again today!!
We're off to Normandy (via Holland & Belgium) on Tuesday. I'll think of you.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 1:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I spent many summers down that way. Cap d’Agde
I had a two week holiday there, early 80s, without knowing anything about the naturism before going.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 1:49 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Why Canada?
Back in 2003, the company I worked for had many north american clients, one of the biggest being in the Toronto area, so they decided to open an office in Canada. I was asked if I wanted to relocate, with the option of going back to the UK and retaining my job if at any point I didn't like it here.

It sounded like a good opportunity, so I took it, and I'm still here today.

Did it meet my expectations? Well, I did not really have many expectations. I'd visited the US quite a few times, though mainly for work purposes, so had a bit of an idea of what it would be like. Obviously there are differences between the UK and Canada, and there are still the odd things that annoy me, but there's nothing that can be done about them, and in the grand scheme of things, they're silly.

Would I do it again? If provided with the same opportunity, and the situation was the same, I probably would. However, I'd probably change the location to Australia, just for a giggle.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 2:07 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
seems to have more opportunities
People say this to me in passing every so often.

Other than the ability to boat or go on large lakes in some form and it being slightly easier to do snow sports I'm curious what the further opportunities are meant to be?
Old Apr 7th 2018, 2:22 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Cote d’Azur please.
I live in Cote d'Azur. That's what my neighbourhood is called (that explains the street names). We have bright sunshine today.

The comparison ends there..............
Old Apr 7th 2018, 5:01 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's too expensive to move back to UK. Plus we like it here. I must admit we live in a lovely area and have good incomes, so in that respect Canada has been good to us.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is depressingly ugly though, the rain is a blessing as it makes it harder to see the buildings.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Travelled across Canada as a student and loved it, visited a few times over the years and loved it. fed up with being made redundant post 2008 crisis and thought that it was now or never. Moved here 2010.

Canada again yes New Brunswick again - not for all the tea in China!!!
Old Apr 7th 2018, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I live in Cote d'Azur. That's what my neighbourhood is called (that explains the street names). We have bright sunshine today.

The comparison ends there..............
But maybe I could move there and pretend?
Old Apr 7th 2018, 11:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It's too expensive to move back to UK. Plus we like it here. I must admit we live in a lovely area and have good incomes, so in that respect Canada has been good to us.
This touches upon a fundamental change since we came, one that would influence the decision. At the time that we came buying a house in London seemed impossible so we looked abroad. The deal with most of the foreign countries was that, if you moved to the back of beyond, in our case Toronto, you would be paid about the same but able to buy a very nice house. We paid $140,000 for ours on a single salary of $85,000. Now that house costs close to two million dollars, the $85,000 might be $110,000.

The logic underlying our move from the UK no longer applies. Brexit, if it causes a property crash, would make the case for moving even weaker.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 11:25 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

The logic underlying our move from the UK no longer applies. Brexit, if it causes a property crash, would make the case for moving even weaker.
The Toronto housing market is starting to roll back. It will be interesting to see how much and how long it goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.