Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

who cold is cold

who cold is cold

Old Aug 19th 2004, 10:27 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: who cold is cold

I've seen weather like that in Calgary on the May long weekend - I especially remember 2002 because I dropped my pager in two foot of snow and it didn't reappear for days.

Old Aug 19th 2004, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Did you tell us that you've already had snow in Calgary this year? Makes for a short summer and long winter. Hope you had a good summer if that's the case!

Were you still able to use the phone or have to buy a new one??

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I've seen weather like that in Calgary on the May long weekend - I especially remember 2002 because I dropped my pager in two foot of snow and it didn't reappear for days.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 10:38 pm
Glaswegian

I think we had the last real snow in May - can't remember if we had a few flakes in June. We've had hail thick enough so that the piles lasted overnight. No snow so far this "summer" .... we're counting the days.

The pager still worked!

Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by liftman
How cold/snowy does it get in Nova Scotia?

I've read the stats, bit that does not really give a feel for the place in winter.

I know about the big dump last winter, but that was unusual, wasn't it?
As a rule of thumb the closer you are to the Atlantic coast the milder and less snowy your winters will be. The big snowfall last February in Halifax was against the rule. The spine of Nova Scotia, and particularly the NS/NB border can be prone to some pretty serious snowfall. There`s a stretch of highway between Amherst and Moncton that is quite often a no go, with frequent white-outs. Nova Scotia may have reasonably `mild` winters but you pay the price with some of the most unsettled winters. The Prairies in the other hand can be bone bitingly cold, but quite dry, because the area is frequently dominated by high pressure.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:50 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by BritBob
The Prairies in the other hand can be bone bitingly cold, but quite dry, because the area is frequently dominated by high pressure.
But when the precipitation does arrive, it arrives with a vengance ... flooding, railway lines washed away, you name it .... give me the dryness of an Alberta winter anytime, this summer has been way to wet for comfort!

I can run outside at -20C, it's nice and dry - we've had 100% humidity lately and my old knees just sieze up! That's just not fair.

Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

But when the precipitation does arrive, it arrives with a vengance ... flooding, railway lines washed away, you name it .... give me the dryness of an Alberta winter anytime, this summer has been way to wet for comfort!

I can run outside at -20C, it's nice and dry - we've had 100% humidity lately and my old knees just sieze up! That's just not fair.
Yup, been a pretty lousy summer really. I`m grateful I don`t live in the BC interior :scared: talk about cooking for months on end.

This year the seasons are really screwed up. Without boring people with meteorological terms, the weather pattern (in the upper levels) is more akin to winter than summer. Better hope this breaks soon as many of us are going to freeze to death, and more than normal!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:40 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

To get the facts go to

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...s/indexcan.htm

Pick the province and then the town on the side is statistics

Example Winnipeg and Moncton
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...6.htm?CANB0067

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...7.htm?CAMB0244

Also looked up this site for records
http://www.weatherbase.com
for Winnipeg
Highest Recorded Temperature Years on Record: 21

YEAR Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
°C 37 6 7 16 33 37 36 35 37 37 30 23 8
Lowest Recorded Temperature Years on Record: 21

°C -40 -40 -38 -32 -26 -10 -1 5 1 -3 -16 -33 -36

Average Number of Days Below 32F/0C Years on Record: 21

Days 194 31 28 29 20 6 --- --- --- 3 17 28 31

Average Number of Days Below 5/-15C Years on Record: 21

Days 80 24 18 10 1 --- --- --- --- --- --- 7 20

so basicly Winnipeg is frozen from early december to end of March.

for Moncton
Highest Recorded Temperature Years on Record: 40

°C 37 17 15 21 28 32 34 37 37 33 28 22 18

Lowest Recorded Temperature Years on Record: 40

°C -37 -36 -37 -31 -15 -7 -5 --- -1 -6 -10 -21 -34

Average Number of Days Below 32F/0C Years on Record: 12

Days 174 30 27 29 21 4 --- --- --- 1 9 19 29

Average Number of Days Below 0F/-17C Years on Record: 12

Days 17 7 5 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 3

Moncton, Canada

And the coldest wind chill temperature in Winnipeg -74c

And did you know
the coldest place in the Antarctica is warmer than Winnipeg...

Updated: 1:00 AM NZDT on January 30, 2004
Observed at Amundsen-Scott, Antarctica Temperature -31°C Windchill -40°C Humidity N/A Dew Point - Wind ENE at 9.7 km/h Wind Gust - Pressure - Conditions Partly Cloudy Visibility 11 kilometers UV 1

Updated: 7:00 AM CST on January 29, 2004
Observed at Winnipeg, Canada Temperature -40°C Windchill -52°C Humidity 67% Dew Point -44 °C Wind NW at 11.3 km/h Wind Gust - Pressure 1031 hPa (Steady) Conditions Mist Visibility 6 kilometers Clouds
(Above Ground Level) (FEW) : 7012 m

cool eh
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:27 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

But when the precipitation does arrive, it arrives with a vengance ... flooding, railway lines washed away, you name it
Try Boscastle in Cornwall if you want rain!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...198625,00.html
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:08 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by liftman
Try Boscastle in Cornwall if you want rain!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...198625,00.html

We saw it on the news here!

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How cold is cold

Well thank you i think i know that cold means cold

Last edited by perkinsgap; Aug 22nd 2004 at 4:39 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritBob
Yup, been a pretty lousy summer really. I`m grateful I don`t live in the BC interior :scared: talk about cooking for months on end.
Hi

The heat here in the Okanagan is very dry so you do not bake at all. A hot summers day in Britain is more unpleasant due to the humity. Our weather in the summer is gorgeous, blue skies everyday and no rain. Our summers are long too therefore making the winters short. Wouldn't get me living anywhere in Canada, other than BC, due to the harsh winters.

JJ
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:15 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joggerjo
Hi

The heat here in the Okanagan is very dry so you do not bake at all. A hot summers day in Britain is more unpleasant due to the humity. Our weather in the summer is gorgeous, blue skies everyday and no rain. Our summers are long too therefore making the winters short. Wouldn't get me living anywhere in Canada, other than BC, due to the harsh winters.

JJ
I wonder why is has been so terribly humid this summer in the Fraser Valley? We're three hours from you and my summer has been very hot, sticky and uncomfortable. It has now rained for two days straight and we are very happy down here!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

railman is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in Barrie Ontario? I hear it's in the snowbelt! Is it? Also I have been told it is lots of black flies in the summer? What's it like compared to Oshawa? These are the two places we are looking at.

Thanks for any advice
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:31 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dingbat
I wonder why is has been so terribly humid this summer in the Fraser Valley? We're three hours from you and my summer has been very hot, sticky and uncomfortable. It has now rained for two days straight and we are very happy down here!
I hate to tell you this, but in comparison to southern Ontario (during most summers) this summer in the Fraser Valley has been very comfortable, not at all sticky or humid.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:34 am
squarepants

Is the thread title a quotation by any chance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.