Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where are they ???

Where are they ???

Old May 18th 2015, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Where are they ???

Can some one tell me where all the polite Canadians are please! Is it a myth that they say please and thank You?
Old May 18th 2015, 4:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are they ???

Originally Posted by Aqua
Can some one tell me where all the polite Canadians are please! Is it a myth that they say please and thank You?
There are plenty around here, the majority I would say. Now Toronto that's another matter, all pushy and shovey. City folks.
Old May 19th 2015, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty around here also!

Plus ourselves .............. we've joined them!
Old May 19th 2015, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute

lol, No I have found folks in Vancouver say thank you - especially on buses. It's quite charming.

However, at least in my workplace, I have found the politeness is superficial and sways with the wind. So it's a politeness that I don't rate highly.
Old May 19th 2015, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Well they didn't come to High River,in general, I find them very impolite in most places, in particular, smaller shops, buyers and sellers alike, no communication whatsoever, the only ones I find polite 99% of the time are the Philipina's or anyone expecting a tip.
Everything from opening a door to letting someone out in front of me in the car doesn't get even an acknowledgement.
Old May 19th 2015, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried flashing, and there's just a look of confusion
Old May 19th 2015, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

I find the majority here very fickle with politeness, one day it's fine and they say hi.... Chat a little, the next day we may be invisible! And they all turn into green monsters behind the wheel
Old May 19th 2015, 1:42 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylord
That's because it is usually males who flash. It also depends which park u use and the type of rain coat, long and grey is the norm I am told. Good luck with that tho
Old May 19th 2015, 1:45 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

That's because it means something different here- that there is a problem not that you're letting them go. That's nothing to do with Canadians not being polite, that's about you not knowing...
Old May 19th 2015, 2:11 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's family is visiting from the UK right now and they have commented that they have found everyone excessively polite... even on our few touristy trips into Toronto to go to Ripleys and the CN Tower...
Old May 19th 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
Everything from opening a door to letting someone out in front of me in the car doesn't get even an acknowledgement.
The only driving signals I use in Calgary now are my horn and my middle finger
Old May 19th 2015, 3:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
That's because it means something different here- that there is a problem not that you're letting them go. That's nothing to do with Canadians not being polite, that's about you not knowing...
Flashing around here means watch out, plod about.
Old May 19th 2015, 6:14 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Flashing around here means watch out, plod about.
Well yes, OPP are a problem if you're going too fast
Old May 19th 2015, 7:00 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I found Toronto to be more polite than Vancouver.
Old May 19th 2015, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Drivers here, and I assume elsewhere in Canada, wave his / her hand, palm upward, across the body to indicate you are to go to first.

As said before, flashing your headlights means you are heading towards a speed trap or police road block

I've said before that you have to learn a new language when you come to Canada ........ and it is not only in the spoken language!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.