Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to settle in Toronto? And what are prices?

Where to settle in Toronto? And what are prices?

Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to settle in Toronto? And what are prices?

Originally Posted by Dane2014
In that sense I would assume that our priority would be to find someting that ot be close to the financial district/Union St in terms of distance, but maybe a place that is close to a GO Station or Subway station on a line that would lead him directly to Union St. (which would save a lot of time when commuting...)

But are there such areas in Toronto - or am I being totally unrealistic?
Leaside. Express bus down Jarvis, walk from there.
Cabbagetown. Walk to work, walk to the zoo, accept that it's both rich and poor.
Beach. Accept that the commute will be more than half an hour.

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 20th 2014 at 6:05 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:25 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

my general rule for commuting within Toronto is that routes involving two forms of transit are fine. Three forms gets horrendous.

My streetcar - subway commute at the moment works fine.

bus subway is doable.

When I had to do street car - subway- bus . that's a problem.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Don't discount the suburbs, as they do offer exactly what you are looking for in terms of lifestyle. We are in Oakville (West of Toronto), for the salary you quote you could rent in the nicer bits, with the good schools and larger plots etc. I commuted downtown for nearly 5 years, 7 min drive to station, 1 min walk through parking lot timed to arrive as train pulled up, 30 min train ride and then 20 min walk, for a total of 1 hour from shutting house door, to logging on at the office. My husband still does the same commute, but he does it faster as he times his arrival on the platform just as they are closing the doors. He gets a faster train (20 mins, but no seats) and runs to the office.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:21 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Don't discount the suburbs, as they do offer exactly what you are looking for in terms of lifestyle. We are in Oakville (West of Toronto), for the salary you quote you could rent in the nicer bits, with the good schools and larger plots etc. I commuted downtown for nearly 5 years, 7 min drive to station, 1 min walk through parking lot timed to arrive as train pulled up, 30 min train ride and then 20 min walk, for a total of 1 hour from shutting house door, to logging on at the office. .
indeed, indeed - Oakville is as good as any

I know folks that commute into the city from Richmond Hill, Thornhill, Newmarket, Stouffville, Bradford or Barrie

example from Bradford

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...Board/BDGO.pdf
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I expect that my husband will do the commuting by train or subway so that I will be able to get around by car.

In that sense I would assume that our priority would be to find someting that ot be close to the financial district/Union St in terms of distance, but maybe a place that is close to a GO Station or Subway station on a line that would lead him directly to Union St. (which would save a lot of time when commuting...)

if it must be that close, then I agree with dbd33 response below, either one of from the choice of three

Originally Posted by dbd33

Cabbagetown. Walk to work, walk to the zoo, accept that it's both rich and poor.

Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
More than an hour on the train, say three hours a day total, and then you're in Bradford. What a horrible idea.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Oh thanks all, this is just great. Very very helpful for me!

He has been told by someone who should know that he should expect to be offered an annual pay of CAD 250-275,000 before deduction of taxes.

Taking into consideration that I would probably not be able to work, at least not in the beginning, this still seems like an amount that should set us up nicely, even taking into consideration that we will be going from 2 salaries to 1. I assume, though that it will not set us up "anywhere", if we still would like to have financial freedom to "do stuff" (cool vacations etc). whenever my husband has time off work.

We do not plan to buy property in the beginning - at least for the first couple of years until we have decided whether to make the placement permanent, so we are looking at rentals.
on the salary & expenses, some basic assumptions....a stab in the dark

Take home pay: $10,000 - $12,000/mth

Apartment rental: $2500/mth unfurnished 3+ bedroom apartment (Toronto Area T5 or T6 in the link below)

http://www.viewit.ca/vwListings.aspx?cs=1&city=Toronto

Utilities, Phones, Internet: $300/mth

Groceries: $700/mth

Travel/transit, Entertainment, Dining/eating out: $1000/mth

All Insurance: $500/mth

All other expenses: $1000/mth add to or increase or decrease as necessary

Income $10,000 to $12,000/mth - expenses $6000 = cash flow $4000 to $6000/mth

What budget have you anticipated?

Last edited by not2old; Nov 20th 2014 at 8:56 pm. Reason: added further information
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide on a suburb, pick one on the Lakeshore Line as the Lakeshore GO trains run much more frequently than the other lines.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

.Beach. Accept that the commute will be more than half an hour.
26 minutes from Hammersmith & Queen to Yonge & Adelaide by bicycle for me!

But unfortunately the wonderful Canadian climate means you can't really do this in the winter unless you're a little bit hardcore.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Oh thanks all, this is just great. Very very helpful for me!

He has been told by someone who should know that he should expect to be offered an annual pay of CAD 250-275,000 before deduction of taxes.
for a simple quick 'take home pay' calculation - use the following calculator

Tax Take Home Pay Calculator for 2014.xls
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:23 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I did a thread recently if you search .... how much do you spend? You should get a good idea about monthly costs.

Not2old...five people for $700 a month?

I think you could easily add another $500..
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Leaside - nice area, best schools of the three, middle in terms of commute.

Cabbagetown - love it myself, shortest commute, but the schools in the immediate area are dreadful.

Beach - agreed on the commute, people also tell me the schools are middling.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Cabbagetown - love it myself, shortest commute, but the schools in the immediate area are dreadful.
Ahem. My children went to school there. The only way in which the school could be considered dreadful is in terms of sporting facilities, the school had no arena so they played iced hockey at Moss Park. Standing outside Moss Park at 5am having a smoke while they revolved and hit each other with sticks was an elightening experience.

Otherwise, ib program, cramming classes for the US SATs, hookers on the doorstep at dawn, a stone's throw from Filmore's, a very educational establishment in every sense.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:44 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I did a thread recently if you search .... how much do you spend? You should get a good idea about monthly costs.

Not2old...five people for $700 a month?

I think you could easily add another $500.
from my post# 22 above, good point on the groceries - thanks & yes maybe the number could be higher, then again we don't know the OP lifestyle choices & they'd be renting.

Good info your thread "How much do you spend" - from your post # 7

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...-spend-845708/

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ok so I'm thinking we're not that bad then...

No cable, internet costs $50
Food shopping $200 a week for a family of 4 although have been entertaining at home so probably spending a $100 on a weekend on that.
LCBO spending dropped substantially since pregnant
Cars $1100 Sure this is where we differ from UK, just don't know how to make it cheaper yet.
Property tax $350 a month it works out, but not really doing that monthly.
Hydro $150 at present.
Last propane was $300 since June.
Mobiles $160 ? Too much for two? Only phones we have..plus I just upgraded!
Gas for two cars... $300.
Mortgage.....on par with UK when we were overpaying.
We used to save regularly for kids and policy in UK- not really happening here.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:38 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Yes- I've already given you one (Cliffside/ Cliffcrest) abnd you can drop hubby to Scarboro GO.

If you decide on a suburb, pick one on the Lakeshore Line as the Lakeshore GO trains run much more frequently than the other lines.
This is a very good point. The Lakeshore line is the only "proper" dual track line, the inland lines are single track, trains come in in the morning and out in the evening and that's it.

Having said that looking at your budget I'm thinking Oakville.

I've had friends with young kids who've done the downtown condo thing but they were continental Europeans used to family life in a tiny flat. I think Brits would sooner go for a nice suburb as long as it has a decent, direct commute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.