Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to move to ?

Where to move to ?

Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to move to ?

Hi All,
I am still looking for pointers on where to move to out West,Calgary (Okatokes) or BC (Chilliwack or Abbotsford).
I work in nova Scotia Offshore and the company I work for will pay for my flights anywhere in Canada,so I don't have to worry about the costs of getting to work or gaining employment.
The reasons for moving out West are basically a lower Tax base and more opportunities to work elsewhere in the oil and Gas industry.For my son and daughter a better chance to gain a good job ,my son is 17 and looking to do some kind of trade and my daughter is finishing her honours degree in pharmacology at Herriot Watt Uni.
I understand there are millions of reasons for and against living in these area and or choosing other parts of Canada.I am hoping that these three areas I have honed in on, that there are people on this forum who have direct knowledge of life there.
cheers
Art
Old Jul 20th 2014, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move to ?

Go where you prefer based upon what is important to you. From the info you have provided, Alberta wins.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 3:33 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi All,
I am still looking for pointers on where to move to out West,Calgary (Okatokes) or BC (Chilliwack or Abbotsford).
I work in nova Scotia Offshore and the company I work for will pay for my flights anywhere in Canada,so I don't have to worry about the costs of getting to work or gaining employment.
The reasons for moving out West are basically a lower Tax base and more opportunities to work elsewhere in the oil and Gas industry.For my son and daughter a better chance to gain a good job ,my son is 17 and looking to do some kind of trade and my daughter is finishing her honours degree in pharmacology at Herriot Watt Uni.
I understand there are millions of reasons for and against living in these area and or choosing other parts of Canada.I am hoping that these three areas I have honed in on, that there are people on this forum who have direct knowledge of life there.
cheers
Art
How did you arrive at those 3 suggested places?

Okotoks is just like a giant soulless housing estate. Nothing else to it than that.
Chilliwack is a dump.
Never been to Abbottsford.

If you want to move to Alberta for O&G trades opportunities, your best bet would be Edmonton. Edmonton & Calgary probably have the best opportunities for healthcare workers, though there may be any number of small towns in need of a pharmacist.

For quality of life (weather, laid back vibe), I'd look at BC, though there is a trade off with work opportunities.

I'd agree that AB and BC are probably where you need to be in your circumstances, but I personally wouldn't choose any towns like the ones you've suggested.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
How did you arrive at those 3 suggested places?

Okotoks is just like a giant soulless housing estate. Nothing else to it than that.
Chilliwack is a dump.
Never been to Abbottsford.
I've been to Abbotsford. It's also a dump.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody else think it generous for the employer to fund the move away from them?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:26 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Anybody else think it generous for the employer to fund the move away from them?
He works offshore Nova Scotia and currently lives in Scotland.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 5:36 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak highly enough of Calgary. So many things to do and see, never a dull moment. Big city life, with the luxury of being surrounded my wilderness and mountains. Win win.

Also, AB has no provincial sales tax. Only 5% federal sales tax that everybody pays. BC PST is 7%, making a 12% total sales tax. Over the course of a year that adds up to a pretty serious chunk of change. Buying a car? 7%-12% more expensive than in AB because of their PST.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 5:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

He works offshore Nova Scotia and currently lives in Scotland.
Probably just the way I read it.
I don't have to worry about the costs of getting to work or gaining employment.
The reasons for moving out West are basically a lower Tax base and more opportunities to work elsewhere in the oil and Gas industry.
The reference to gaining employment made me think new employment especially coupled with working elsewhere.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Abbotsford and Chilliwack are not really going to lead to good jobs for your kids and probably wont be a great place to live considering they will likely end up commuting for a couple hours a day to Vancouver or elsewhere.

Also unless planning on using the Abbotsford airport, its a bit of a pain to get to Vancouver's Airport from both Abby and Chilliwack, not a horrible drive, but not desirable either.

Just curious how you decided on Abbotsford and Chilliwack?

Abbotsford is just a bigger version of Chilliwack, but Chilliwack has slightly better scenery.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Have lived in Calgary, South Surrey, Abbotsford and Chilliwack. Abby was OK 20 years ago, too developed for me now. Used to commute to to YVR from Abby (75 mins), it was no big deal, even easier now with the new South Fraser perimeter road.

Chilliwack is a rural community, 20 mins to the border, 35 to YXX. Shopping is adequate, what I cannot get here I either don't need or I buy online and have shipped here or to the border.

One gets the quality of a rural lifestyle, within easy reach of Vancouver if necessary, an easy ride to the interior.

I could not be paid to live in Vancouver or its suburbs. Calgary rural parts are OK, the rest of it did not appeal at all, a sprawling urban mess surrounded by flat grassland.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Can't speak highly enough of Calgary. So many things to do and see, never a dull moment. Big city life, with the luxury of being surrounded my wilderness and mountains. Win win.
I think Calgary is a very dull and suburban city, saved only by the luxury of being surrounded by wilderness and mountains.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:50 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

I think Calgary is a very dull and suburban city, saved only by the luxury of being surrounded by wilderness and mountains.
In the 'burbs maybe! Not so dull in the inner-city
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:17 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Photoplex
In the 'burbs maybe! Not so dull in the inner-city
A few pockets like Kensington and Marda Loop, maybe. But really, for a city of 1 million, there ain't a lot going on apart from work. Calgary is the same size as Glasgow and bigger than Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Leeds... with a social scene more like Inverness.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A few pockets like Kensington and Marda Loop, maybe. But really, for a city of 1 million, there ain't a lot going on apart from work. Calgary is the same size as Glasgow and bigger than Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Leeds... with a social scene more like Inverness.
But at Stampede time isn't Calgary like the 4 and 20 virgins coming down from Inverness but they are from Red Deer instead.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think its generous for an employer to pay for anything. Had no idea companies did those sorts of things until I came across this website.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.