Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live GTA/Barrie

Where to live GTA/Barrie

Old Dec 15th 2017, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live GTA/Barrie

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ah...I knew I must be missing something obvious.

I remember when I was landlording in NB I ventured onto a finance forum with a landlord section and I was always horrified about tales from Ontario. Lack of deposit must have been a big part of it.
As a NS landlord there is no protection either.

Asking for a half month deposit, $300, is plain ridiculous. You actually get more money in Ontario.

In NS you have to wait until the rent is 15 days late before serving a notice to quit. In ON you can give it immediately.

I would prefer to be a landlord in ON than NS any day tbh.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 12:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Asking for a half month deposit, $300, is plain ridiculous.
That's actually what I used to do.
My place was a bit more than most (except the luxury/executive types) but worth the extra. You can ask for a deposit equal to a full month.

But with delays in a tenant getting that back, plus moving costs and having to pay a month's deposit and first month's rent at a new place, there aren't that many who can do that.

I found by only asking for half (and sometimes by instalments too) that I got people in with no breaks in my rental income.

In NS you have to wait until the rent is 15 days late before serving a notice to quit. In ON you can give it immediately.
You can begin "action" in NB after one day, but that's just a notice to vacate, which is immediately cancelled if rent is paid. It becomes a final notice to vacate, I think, another 15 days later.

I just don't like the idea of taking action for one piddling day late. But you learn that subsequent difficulties and delays can make that a risky strategy.

I would have preferred action to be informal initially but more stringent according to how many attempts to get rent and/or 10 days or something.

Having had to follow the procedure twice it can easily be a month later before you can even access the place, although the Rentalsman may allow you to check much earlier.

But still preferable to everything I heard about Ontario.

Last edited by BristolUK; Dec 15th 2017 at 12:51 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

As a NS landlord there is no protection either.

Asking for a half month deposit, $300, is plain ridiculous. You actually get more money in Ontario.

I would prefer to be a landlord in ON than NS any day tbh.
I am not sure how you figure you get more money in Ontario. In NS you can ask for half a month's rent Security Deposit which goes back to the tenant after they have moved out and the Landlord is satisfied with the condition of the property (10 days). In Ontario there is no security deposit at all against damages.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I am not sure how you figure you get more money in Ontario. In NS you can ask for half a month's rent Security Deposit which goes back to the tenant after they have moved out and the Landlord is satisfied with the condition of the property (10 days). In Ontario there is no security deposit at all against damages.
Half a months damage deposit is a joke. As mentioned above we typically get $300 which doesn’t cover any damages or dealing with tons of garbage etc.
As there is no last month it means that the tenant will often secure his rental a few weeks before the start of the lease...so guess what money he uses to pay his first month on his new place... yup! The money he should have paid for his last month at your place!!
So I would prefer first and last instead of first and a piddly damage deposit!
Old Dec 16th 2017, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Half a months damage deposit is a joke. As mentioned above we typically get $300 which doesn’t cover any damages or dealing with tons of garbage etc.
As there is no last month it means that the tenant will often secure his rental a few weeks before the start of the lease...so guess what money he uses to pay his first month on his new place... yup! The money he should have paid for his last month at your place!!
So I would prefer first and last instead of first and a piddly damage deposit!
Fair enough
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi following on from my original question my husband has spoken to his prospective employer and it seems that he will be a mix of field (GTA) and office (downtown Toronto) this been said at the minute he covers 32,000 a year here covering his Area of work. So we have looked a bit further afield thinking he can get the Go train into Toronto on days he doesn't really need to drive around. Can anyone give us opinions on the Oakville and Burlington areas. Thanks again for info.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Hi following on from my original question my husband has spoken to his prospective employer and it seems that he will be a mix of field (GTA) and office (downtown Toronto) this been said at the minute he covers 32,000 a year here covering his Area of work. So we have looked a bit further afield thinking he can get the Go train into Toronto on days he doesn't really need to drive around. Can anyone give us opinions on the Oakville and Burlington areas. Thanks again for info.
Burlington is lovely, very family friendly with a good waterfront; lots of events and festivals in the summer and a fair few pubs, restaurants etc.

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Both Oakville and Burlington are nice places to live and raise a family. Schools are mostly good and if you pick your location carefully it's possible to manage without a second car walking to school, neighbourhood parks and grocery stores. However you would be limited to what is in your immediate neighbourhood, there are bus routes but they are of variable quality throughout the town. I would say that both places are quite similar, Oakville has more history than Burlington (but it's Canada, not really the place to come for history). Burlington did a better job of developing its waterfront. Oakville is pricier, but it has a shorter train ride to Toronto.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Burlington is lovely, very family friendly with a good waterfront; lots of events and festivals in the summer and a fair few pubs, restaurants etc.

Thanks for the reply it is going on the shortlist.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Both Oakville and Burlington are nice places to live and raise a family. Schools are mostly good and if you pick your location carefully it's possible to manage without a second car walking to school, neighbourhood parks and grocery stores. However you would be limited to what is in your immediate neighbourhood, there are bus routes but they are of variable quality throughout the town. I would say that both places are quite similar, Oakville has more history than Burlington (but it's Canada, not really the place to come for history). Burlington did a better job of developing its waterfront. Oakville is pricier, but it has a shorter train ride to Toronto.
Thank you for the info, I think they will definitely be on my wish list. I've looked at wiki articles on both and they do seem to be the kind of place we would love to settle in. Beaches on a lake 😁 look amazing.