Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Forces Pension

British Forces Pension

Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of
Default British Forces Pension

We are filing taxes for the first time this year. Could anyone let me know what the procedure is to add the British Forces Pension to the income earned:

We understand that we have to pay tax on it but is there anyway we claim the tax back from the UK Govt. Any help would be grateful.

Cheers
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Forces Pension

Originally Posted by keznjj
We are filing taxes for the first time this year. Could anyone let me know what the procedure is to add the British Forces Pension to the income earned:

We understand that we have to pay tax on it but is there anyway we claim the tax back from the UK Govt. Any help would be grateful.

Cheers
Report the pension as income, get a certificate of tax paid (or other proof of tax paid), claim the tax paid as a foreign tax credit. You only end up paying what you would have paid on the income in Canada, at least that's what I do.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Convert the gross £ received at 1.58607 (for 2011) and report it on line 115 of your tax return. You will need to complete form T2209 (federal) and T2036 (provincial) to claim a credit for the UK tax withheld. As Aviator says above you will need to keep evidence of the UK tax withheld as this is a favorite area for the CRA to review.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

So it is as easy as that? When do we put the details forward to the UK tax department for their payment back? Cheers again great info much appreciated.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:31 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Convert the gross £ received at 1.58607 (for 2011) and report it on line 115 of your tax return. You will need to complete form T2209 (federal) and T2036 (provincial) to claim a credit for the UK tax withheld. As Aviator says above you will need to keep evidence of the UK tax withheld as this is a favorite area for the CRA to review.
Are you sure about using one rate for the whole year? My accountant asked me to break down the income and exchange rate on a monthly basis. It's new, apparently.

You are bang-on about the foreign tax credit. I've been done twice on that one. It's a red-flag but easily sorted if you've got the appropriate documentation.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Are you sure about using one rate for the whole year? My accountant asked me to break down the income and exchange rate on a monthly basis. It's new, apparently.

You are bang-on about the foreign tax credit. I've been done twice on that one. It's a red-flag but easily sorted if you've got the appropriate documentation.
This is from the CRA website (my bolding);

Line 115 - Pensions from a foreign country

If you received a pension from another country, you have to report the total amount on your return in Canadian dollars. Use the Bank of Canada exchange rate that was in effect on the day you received the pension. If you received the pension at different times during the year, use the average annual exchange rate. The average monthly rate as well as the daily rate are available by visiting the Bank of Canada Web site.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by keznjj
So it is as easy as that? When do we put the details forward to the UK tax department for their payment back? Cheers again great info much appreciated.
If you are going to apply for a refund from HMRC you should not claim a foreign tax credit. That would be double dipping. The CRA don't like it. When you apply to HMRC for a refund of UK tax withheld you will need the CRA to certify that you are tax-resident in Canada. This is one thing they will check.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:35 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This is from the CRA website (my bolding);

Line 115 - Pensions from a foreign country

If you received a pension from another country, you have to report the total amount on your return in Canadian dollars. Use the Bank of Canada exchange rate that was in effect on the day you received the pension. If you received the pension at different times during the year, use the average annual exchange rate. The average monthly rate as well as the daily rate are available by visiting the Bank of Canada Web site.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html
OK. I'm talking about employment income, not pension.

In past years it was sufficient for me to tell my accountant the total amount that had hit my Canadian bank account during the year. It seems to have changed this year. He needed to declare what the individual monthly income was and what the prevailing exchange rate was. That wasn't hard because I keep a spreadsheet for all that stuff.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

From IT270:

16. For the purpose of claiming a foreign tax credit, an amount in respect of income taxes which is payable to a foreign government in a foreign currency should be converted to Canadian dollars at the rate at which the income itself (other than capital gains) was converted. For business income, this could be done monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually, using the average rate for the period, depending on the taxpayer's normal method of reporting income. For investment income which was subject only to a tax similar to that imposed by Part XIII of the Act, the conversion rate should be the rate applicable on the date of receipt of the income, although use of the average rate for the month or the mid-month rate would usually be acceptable. For other types of income, such as salaries and wages, the average rate for the months in which they are earned is the most appropriate rate. For capital gains, the rate should approximate the rate applicable at the time the gain was realized.

Your accountant is correct, though this document is dated 2004. If you immediately convert your earnings into CAD the actual amount you receive would also be acceptable IMO.

Last edited by JonboyE; Apr 24th 2012 at 9:01 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:57 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

I thought that if you are now an overseas resident, you could inform the pensions office and they will then pay it to you gross and in Can$. It is then just income received and will then be subject to canadian tax only. Simplifying matters...unless there is a reason to continue receiving it Uk? Is it tax efficient? Or just convenient for commitments at home in UK?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Phone Phixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fletcher m
I thought that if you are now an overseas resident, you could inform the pensions office and they will then pay it to you gross and in Can$. It is then just income received and will then be subject to canadian tax only. Simplifying matters...unless there is a reason to continue receiving it Uk? Is it tax efficient? Or just convenient for commitments at home in UK?
You can have your pension payed into a Canadian account, but as I understand it, XP use a currency trader who charges for each months transaction. I prefer to save it over a few months in my UK account and transfer it in bulk.