Reload this Page >

Where to live.

Where to live.

Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Charleybear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live.

Hi everyone,
My husband and I have waited 3 years and as long as our paperwork goes through ok, we will be moving later this year.
We are quite stumped on where to move to but know we want to be around mountains, I would also like to be near the water.
I teach English as a foreign language, so need to be able to commute on public transport to where there are language schools. My husband loves going to gigs and wants to have access to those as well (the bands he sees mostly are punk rock bands) We are also bringing our dog with us and she loves swimming.
We have lived in a few different countries and always 'make do' with where we live cause of money. I want to find somewhere with maybe even a garden which is not too expensive and to start a family.
Does this place exist?
We are set on staying so I want to get it right, we've moved around so much and just want to settle.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live.

Originally Posted by Charleybear
Does this place exist?
Assuming the water means the sea then no, not in Canada. The places with mountains either don't have the sea or aren't cheap. Have you considered Edinburgh?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,
My husband and I have waited 3 years and as long as our paperwork goes through ok, we will be moving later this year.
We are quite stumped on where to move to but know we want to be around mountains, I would also like to be near the water.
I teach English as a foreign language, so need to be able to commute on public transport to where there are language schools. My husband loves going to gigs and wants to have access to those as well (the bands he sees mostly are punk rock bands) We are also bringing our dog with us and she loves swimming.
We have lived in a few different countries and always 'make do' with where we live cause of money. I want to find somewhere with maybe even a garden which is not too expensive and to start a family.
Does this place exist?
We are set on staying so I want to get it right, we've moved around so much and just want to settle.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!
Hello and welcome to BE!

I'm presuming that you are coming over as Permanent Residents? Canada is a huge country, your question is a bit like 'where in Europe should we move to'!

Sadly, many people have to move to where ever there is work available rather than their 'ideal' location. That being said, mountains and water really equalls the West coast and prices are generally horrendously high in those areas. If you are happy with lakes rather than ocean, then your options are expanded somewhat but not hugely.

What is it your husband does for a living? Will he also need access to a largish city for work? Have you had your qualifications for teaching evaluated and do you have Provincial certification?

What level of income do you anticipate having and will you be renting or buying?

Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Ha ha! That's really funny because we were looking at it as a Plan B if we don't get in!
I don't mean the sea, lakes etc are also great.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi Siouxie, Yes lakes are fine too. My husband does lots of different things but has done gardening, maintenance etc. I don't think he will need access to a large city but I don't know what he'll end up doing. My line of teaching is universal (TESOL) and I have contacted some schools who have said I'm fine to get work, if I want to work in government schools, I will have to convert my qualifications but private schools are ok. The average wage is vetween 20 and 40 dollars an hour and it's usually 30-40 hours a week.
Yes we'll be residents � ����
We want to buy but have to wait to save so will be renting.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:31 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i would say best on your needs the only place i can think is BC..you need what i would call an international city so Vancouver ticks the box..close to the water either lakes or the sea BC ticks that box and obviously its next to the Rockies so mountains tick here also..its the only place in Canada that seems to fit..IMO.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Language schools and public transit suggest a city, ideally one with lots of immigrants. The desire for mountains limits you to Vancouver and Calgary. Vancouver is probably too expensive so there you are, give up the punk, pick up Western Swing (I suggest starting with "It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the King or Miles and Miles of Texas) and Calgary it is.

Give up the mountains and there are a lot more options. Do you speak French?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Cheeky monkey! That's where we're looking at most seriously. It's just that I'm sick of not having a garden for our dog and I doubt we'll be able to make $2,000 rent. How much are usual outgoings living there? Like food and electricity and travel etc?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest seeing where the most chance of getting a permanent job is, then choose which Province you are most interested in.

https://ca.indeed.com/Tesl-Canada-jobs

Vancouver is exhorbitant for rentals, cost of living etc., you really don't want to move there unless you are able to have an income of around $100k. It's highly unlikely that you would be able to afford an apartment with a garden unless you live in one of the suburbs. Perhaps one of the smaller cities would be more affordable whilst still commutable for mountains and lakes? Kelowna?

There are many threads on the cost of living for Vancouver, if you do a search on this forum...

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 21st 2017 at 5:40 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Dbd33 Ha ha! He would never give it up. We currently live a Sweden and we've really been craving the mountains. We have been trying to look at Calgary but pictures seem like you can't actually see the rockies?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Siouxie � ����
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Dbd33 Ha ha! He would never give it up. We currently live a Sweden and we've really been craving the mountains. We have been trying to look at Calgary but pictures seem like you can't actually see the rockies?
If you're in the right spot you can

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...ithin_calgary/

I suspect that, in terms of cost, that would be like living in London and having a view of the river but it does seem possible.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:49 pm
Banned

https://www.facebook.com/calgarypunkshows/
https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc...=Calgary%2C+AB
17 Live Music Venues in Calgary

He can still see punk bands in Calgary
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

in the following link with slide show

Canada's top 10 picturesque mountain lakes | Cold Lake Sun

That about lakes & mountains, what about work & income to support yourselves?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I thought it was the mountains he would never give up. The punk band members are even older than I am, they'll be giving us up shortly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.