Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

BC15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Necessary" is debatable. However, the point of the thread was to identify nice parts of Oakville, not the one in which the poorer or more unlucky immigrants wind up living.

North Oakville. Necessary? Perhaps. Desirable? Hardly.
Your opinion only. Properties sell like hot cakes both off the plans and as used homes. I have to say I actually know people who own up there and love it. Trouble is it's no longer that cheap. West Oakville is much cheaper and you get so much more for your bucks!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BC15
I believe you will find boozing and eating places along Dundas at Trafalgar, .
As I say, I don't see any. I don't think you know the area. I think you just sell little hutches there to innocents from abroad.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I actually know people who own up there and love it.
But you're not one?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=As I say, I don't see any. I don't think you know the area. I think you just sell little hutches there to innocents from abroad.[/QUOTE]

Are you telling me you are unable to see Price Choppers at Third line and Dundas? You don't see the shops and TD Bank at Neyagawa? ..... and you drive?

But you're not one?
No, I live in Bronte. It says just that earlier on in the thread. I know the area well enough. Certainly better than to ever use Trafalgar to get north or south in the rush hour, or to use the QEW between Third and Trafalgar at that time. Have you ever been inside any of the houses up there?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you will find boozing and eating places along Dundas at Trafalgar, Neyagawa and Third. There is a good one (The Irish Pub) at Neyagawa and a great Indian takeaway on Third (run by East Indians). There's also big places like Sobeys and Price Choppers. If you don't see these please let me know the time of day you drive down that area - I'll avoid like the plague.

Yea, sure they are but I wouldn't judge Oakville by them. Take a turn left or right off of Trafalgar and be better informed. Must be the worst part of Oakville. So many better places to compensate.

Try continuing down Dundas (Highway 5) and take a right down Ninth Line. Much nicer.
Oh do get real! I live in Oakville and like it, but please take off your rose-tinted specs. Sure, there are some reasonable eateries along Dundas. The Funky Thai is good; there's a reasonable Italian near 3rd line. Oh, and there's that "family diner" that is always known as the die-nasty but I think is probably really Dynasi or something. I'm supposing the pub you mention at Neyagawa is the Stout Monk - hardly Irish, but yeah, not a bad pub, considering it's in a strip mall. The Indian takeaway is nothing at all to write home about. For the rest, it's as dbd describes: identikit housing, strip malls every other major intersection, chain eateries amongst the big box stores. Dundas at Trafalgar has a gas station, two supermarkets, a Canadian Tire, a giant Wal-Mart, and a plentiful array of smaller strip-mall fare including car dealerships, chainstore bars and restaurants (a Kelsey's and a Keg, a DQ, a couple of pizza places, etc). Not exactly aesthetic nirvana.

In defence of the place, though: the two major non-highway thoroughfares in Oakville are Dundas and Trafalgar - I hardly think it likely that you'll see the best of any town by driving down the main through routes. As I know dbd knows, there are nicer parts of Oakville, in the downtown core, by the lake, in some of the older residential neighbourhoods... the discussion has been done to death about the eternal dilemma of attractiveness vs affordability and to almost everyone there is an acceptable compromise somewhere on that continuum.

Ninth line between Dundas and Upper Middle is in no way representative of the other 99% of Oakville, as you well know. The rugby club, the drive-in cinema, the Islamic Centre (Masjid Noor Al-Haram), a school, and half a dozen once-rural houses on small acreages.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Mar 4th 2009 at 4:07 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

As I say, I don't see any. I don't think you know the area. I think you just sell little hutches there to innocents from abroad.
Between Bronte and Third there's Funky Thai, Dynasis Family Restaurant East of Neyagawa. There's a whole bunch of them at Dundas and Trafalgar - admittedly more on Trafalgar: The Keg, Kelseys, Montanas, Sloppy Joes and if you're really into Macdonalds you'll find it in WalMart. Correction: Sobeys and the great Indian Takeaway is on Upper Middle and Third!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The Keg, Kelseys, Montanas, Sloppy Joes and if you're really into Macdonalds you'll find it in WalMart.
You make it sound hellish.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:31 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Between Bronte and Third there's Funky Thai, Dynasis Family Restaurant East of Neyagawa. There's a whole bunch of them at Dundas and Trafalgar - admittedly more on Trafalgar: The Keg, Kelseys, Montanas, Sloppy Joes and if you're really into Macdonalds you'll find it in WalMart. Correction: Sobeys and the great Indian Takeaway is on Upper Middle and Third!
Hmmm, you're not exactly winning us over with your local knowledge. Montanas is over the 403 towards Mississauga. There's a new Shoeless Joe's (not sloppy joe) recently opened at Dundas & Prince Michael, in the Shoppers Drug Mart mall, but it's hardly on Trafalgar. All the eating places you mention around Dundas & Trafalgar are chains and indistinguishable from the same franchise in any other location - hardly something to single out as a point of differentiation...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Oh do get real! I live in Oakville and like it, but please take off your rose-tinted specs. Sure, there are some reasonable eateries along Dundas. The Funky Thai is good; there's a reasonable Italian near 3rd line. Oh, and there's that "family diner" that is always known as the die-nasty but I think is probably really Dynasi or something. I'm supposing the pub you mention at Neyagawa is the Stout Monk - hardly Irish, but yeah, not a bad pub, considering it's in a strip mall. The Indian takeaway is nothing at all to write home about. For the rest, it's as dbd describes: identikit housing, strip malls every other major intersection, chain eateries amongst the big box stores. Dundas at Trafalgar has a gas station, two supermarkets, a Canadian Tire, a giant Wal-Mart, and a plentiful array of smaller strip-mall fare including car dealerships, chainstore bars and restaurants (a Kelsey's and a Keg, a DQ, a couple of pizza places, etc). Not exactly aesthetic nirvana.

In defence of the place, though: the two major non-highway thoroughfares in Oakville are Dundas and Trafalgar - I hardly think it likely that you'll see the best of any town by driving down the main through routes. As I know dbd knows, there are nicer parts of Oakville, in the downtown core, by the lake, in some of the older residential neighbourhoods... the discussion has been done to death about the eternal dilemma of attractiveness vs affordability and to almost everyone there is an acceptable compromise somewhere on that continuum.

Ninth line between Dundas and Upper Middle is in no way representative of the other 99% of Oakville, as you well know. The rugby club, the drive-in cinema, the Islamic Centre (Masjid Noor Al-Haram), a school, and half a dozen once-rural houses on small acreages.
You read me wrong oakvillian. I didn't say there are any good or for that matter bad eating drinking places. I was just supporting the fact that there are some.The only one I said was good was the Indian Takeaway which we happen to think is good.

dbd asked if there was a better route south from Dundas, I suggested Ninth Line was a more scenic route to Trafalgar. I don't really know where you got the idea that it was meant to be representative of Oakville.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:42 pm
Magnificently Withering

You read me wrong oakvillian. I didn't say there are any good or for that matter bad eating drinking places. I was just supporting the fact that there are some.The only one I said was good was the Indian Takeaway which we happen to think is good.

dbd asked if there was a better route south from Dundas, I suggested Ninth Line was a more scenic route to Trafalgar. I don't really know where you got the idea that it was meant to be representative of Oakville.
Ah, it might have helped if you'd made it clear you were replying to a post other than the one you quoted. Your post read as though you were pointing out 9th Line as a nicer part of Oakville, rather than as an alternative North-South route (which I'd agree it is).

In the post you quoted, dbd asked for "the best independent bars and restaurants along Dundas" - I don't think chainstore/franchise diners really count in his book.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm, you're not exactly winning us over with your local knowledge. Montanas is over the 403 towards Mississauga. There's a new Shoeless Joe's (not sloppy joe) recently opened at Dundas & Prince Michael, in the Shoppers Drug Mart mall, but it's hardly on Trafalgar. All the eating places you mention around Dundas & Trafalgar are chains and indistinguishable from the same franchise in any other location - hardly something to single out as a point of differentiation...
I always call it Sloppy Joes. No Montanas? Oh, well, but there is the Great Canadian Superstore, a huge LCBO and a coffee pub as well as Longos. Loblaws used to be on the mall on the East side of Trafalgar.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:53 pm
Magnificently Withering

I always call it Sloppy Joes. No Montanas? Oh, well, but there is the Great Canadian Superstore, a huge LCBO and a coffee pub as well as Longos. Loblaws used to be on the mall on the East side of Trafalgar.
I think we're at cross purposes here, and I really don't want to pick an argument with you over nothing.

Nobody is denying that all these big-box stores and chain eateries exist. Superstore and Longos were the two supermarkets I referred to above. The point is that they do not make the place any more desirable to live in or drive through. The Dundas/Trafalgar plazas are my nearest shopping area, so I'm well aware of what's there; none of it is beautiful.

Shoeless Joe's only opened a couple of months ago.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, it might have helped if you'd made it clear you were replying to a post other than the one you quoted. Your post read as though you were pointing out 9th Line as a nicer part of Oakville, rather than as an alternative North-South route (which I'd agree it is).

In the post you quoted, dbd asked for "the best independent bars and restaurants along Dundas" - I don't think chainstore/franchise diners really count in his book.
to quote myself:
I believe you will find boozing and eating places along Dundas at Trafalgar, Neyagawa and Third. I was actually answering the original post by Souvenir who said there where no shops or pubs along that stretch.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:02 pm
Magnificently Withering

Which would you say are the best independent bars and restaurants along Dundas? I see only garden centres and stonemasons yards.

Oh, and I think the Oakville municipal buildings are likely very much in Oakville. Also the mall, "Oakville Place".
I believe you will find boozing and eating places along Dundas at Trafalgar, Neyagawa and Third. There is a good one (The Irish Pub) at Neyagawa and a great Indian takeaway on Third (run by East Indians). There's also big places like Sobeys and Price Choppers. If you don't see these please let me know the time of day you drive down that area - I'll avoid like the plague.

Yea, sure they are but I wouldn't judge Oakville by them. Take a turn left or right off of Trafalgar and be better informed. Must be the worst part of Oakville. So many better places to compensate.

Try continuing down Dundas (Highway 5) and take a right down Ninth Line. Much nicer.
to quote myself:
I believe you will find boozing and eating places along Dundas at Trafalgar, Neyagawa and Third. I was actually answering the original post by Souvenir who said there where no shops or pubs along that stretch.
The post you quoted in the reply to which I took exception is dbd's, above. It helps, in threaded discussions such as those on this forum, if you quote the post you're replying to rather than a comment from somebody else about something unrelated. If you were replying to Souvenir's question, why not quote that in your response? It can avoid confusion.

If you're replying to more than one point in a single post, there's always the "multi-quote" button.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

To Oakvillian

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Plus no trees, no sidewalks and, in the case of north Oakville, not much in the way of shops, bars, restaurants or public transport.

You need to revisit to get up to date.
This was my original post to which subsequent posts related to on this thread. Otherwise many thanks for the lecture

Last edited by BC15; Mar 4th 2009 at 5:46 pm. Reason: left out name

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.