Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:57 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Originally Posted by dollface
Well that sounds good! we have driven around Oakville (only been there once) so didn't get to all the areas. College Park sounds nice. We currently have a bigyard - a bit smaller than yours just. Inground pool and still spave for the kids to play. They are only 6 & 8 so still need space to run around.

Schools are very important to us so I have printed off the Grade 3/6 testing results for Oakville, some schools fair high, others are way below average for reading, writing and Math. What are the schools in college park area public, non FI??

And by the look of my spelling on here I must have attended one of those below average schools
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:59 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
And a bloody sight bigger.
and very beautiful, especially in the fall.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:09 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

and very beautiful, especially in the fall.
Oh yes. Summertime on Lac Philippe is even better. Bliss.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:13 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

What are the schools in college park area public, non FI??
Lorne Skuce is it for JK to grade 8, at least for this academic year. There's another one whose name I can't remember which has been closed for redevelopment this year. Munn's was moved from elementary (JK-6) into the FI track for this year, and its pupils bussed to Lorne Skuce. Because of the boundary changes and significant amalgamation and redistribution of staff, I wouldn't read too much either positive or negative into previous performance reports. I really don't think people pay nearly so much attention to those in Canada as they do in the UK, anyway.

BTW if academic performance is a priority, consider the FI track. While nominally not academically selective, the PC-speak way it was put to us was "there is a smaller range between the least able and the most able student in FI, and that range tends to be clustered at the upper end of the scale of academic achievement." Take from that what you will....
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:22 pm

Oh yes. Summertime on Lac Philippe is even better. Bliss.
Yes, been there many times - lovely. Kids love it! picnic on the sand.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Lorne Skuce is it for JK to grade 8, at least for this academic year. There's another one whose name I can't remember which has been closed for redevelopment this year. Munn's was moved from elementary (JK-6) into the FI track for this year, and its pupils bussed to Lorne Skuce. Because of the boundary changes and significant amalgamation and redistribution of staff, I wouldn't read too much either positive or negative into previous performance reports. I really don't think people pay nearly so much attention to those in Canada as they do in the UK, anyway.

BTW if academic performance is a priority, consider the FI track. While nominally not academically selective, the PC-speak way it was put to us was "there is a smaller range between the least able and the most able student in FI, and that range tends to be clustered at the upper end of the scale of academic achievement." Take from that what you will....
Actually my kids are in FI now and the eldest one is doing fantastic - for many reasons we felt core English to be a better route after the move.

I saw the Munn's rating and it was frightening! as was Captain R something or other (Wilson perhaps) .
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:30 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, been there many times - lovely. Kids love it! picnic on the sand.
It's one of my favourite places in the world. It rendered my mother speechless, which is no mean feat.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:32 pm

It's one of my favourite places in the world. It rendered my mother speechless, which is no mean feat.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Actually my kids are in FI now and the eldest one is doing fantastic - for many reasons we felt core English to be a better route after the move.

I saw the Munn's rating and it was frightening! as was Captain R something or other (Wilson perhaps) .
Frighteningly good or bad? We had a very good experience in JK there last year, but that's not "real" school. Of our neighbours' kids who went there over the last 15 years or so pretty much all have gone on to decent universities or are doing well in high school, but anyway it's now a moot point as Munn's is a completely different entity.

Capt R Wilson is an interesting one... kids of a couple of friends of ours go there and are thriving. It's one of those "educate the whole child" places that teaches the children rather than teaches the test, so it wouldn't surprise me if its test results where poor at grade 3/6 but I'd put money on the fact that its former pupils do better than average in high school. It's not all about test results and straitjacket ratings.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Frighteningly good or bad? We had a very good experience in JK there last year, but that's not "real" school. Of our neighbours' kids who went there over the last 15 years or so pretty much all have gone on to decent universities or are doing well in high school, but anyway it's now a moot point as Munn's is a completely different entity.

Capt R Wilson is an interesting one... kids of a couple of friends of ours go there and are thriving. It's one of those "educate the whole child" places that teaches the children rather than teaches the test, so it wouldn't surprise me if its test results where poor at grade 3/6 but I'd put money on the fact that its former pupils do better than average in high school. It's not all about test results and straitjacket ratings.
I agree, but when one is choosing an area to live, education is a huge factor, for me at any rate. One of the only ways of checking out a school is to look at the testing. Of course speaking to people who have experienced the school system should also be taken into consideration.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:11 pm

Bad unfortunately.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future

Is Oakville REALLY that expensive to live in???? I was looking there myself and there seemed to be some really nice houses for around $300-400k.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by sargie2710
Is Oakville REALLY that expensive to live in???? I was looking there myself and there seemed to be some really nice houses for around $300-400k.
Really? where? which area? haven't seen those............
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future

Realtor.com
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sargie2710
Realtor.com
CORRECTION.... www.realtor.ca

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.