Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Old May 15th 2017, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I dunno, I think generalizing Brampton as "Suburb populated by Indians", while not technically correct, conveys an accurate impression of the place.
Casting Cole Harbour as a northern East Saint Louis does seem a bit harsh, but I was only there once and barely remember it, perhaps it's gone to the dogs.
Have you ever noticed downtown Brampton is not the same colour as the rest of Brampton?
Old May 15th 2017, 12:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Have you ever noticed downtown Brampton is not the same colour as the rest of Brampton?
No but I'm not sure where downtown Brampton would be. My ex had a job next to the GO bus station and I'd meet her there sometimes. The streets had carriage lamps and seasonal decorations, maybe that's downtown. If so, no, I didn't think the population was much different. I accept though that there may be a ghetto of people who've been there fifty years and who originally came from Scotland.
Old May 15th 2017, 12:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
When someone tells you the way to their house, and adds "stay on the main road, don't take any short cuts or you might be in trouble", one pays attention!..
I have no idea what the area is like.

But a common thread running through these comments is the dire warnings of kidnapping and murder from someone local to the area who hasn't experienced much of living somewhere different.

I can't help wondering if someone from any number of cities from Bristol to Vancouver, Bath to Winnipeg, Coventry to Toronto etc might wander along those short cuts and wonder what the problem was.
Old May 15th 2017, 1:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have no idea what the area is like.

But a common thread running through these comments is the dire warnings of kidnapping and murder from someone local to the area who hasn't experienced much of living somewhere different.

I can't help wondering if someone from any number of cities from Bristol to Vancouver, Bath to Winnipeg, Coventry to Toronto etc might wander along those short cuts and wonder what the problem was.
My partner is from Middlesbrough and last year when we were in Canada I took him to one of the more deprived areas of Hamilton - lots of boarded up storefronts, run down buildings, etc. He asked when we were going to get to the rough parts

It really is all relative, isn't it?
Old May 15th 2017, 3:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My partner is from Middlesbrough and last year when we were in Canada I took him to one of the more deprived areas of Hamilton - lots of boarded up storefronts, run down buildings, etc. He asked when we were going to get to the rough parts

Don't you mean 'not yet under regeneration' lol I'm guessing you were down on Barton?

Building renovations a sign of changing times on Barton Street - Hamilton - CBC News
Can Barton Street become the next hip area of Hamilton? - Latest Hamilton news - CBC Hamilton

Despite the run down appearance, I've never felt unsafe in the area (not that I go down there often, but there's a couple of good places to eat).

Anyway, back on topic - has anyone any other suggested specific areas to avoid in NS/NB? Having never been there (it's on my bucket list) I'm not able to offer any insight.

Thanks

Last edited by Siouxie; May 15th 2017 at 3:40 pm.
Old May 15th 2017, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm certainly not offering any more suggestions ........

.......... I've been going to NS since 1972, love it, but obviously I'm never believed in what I say!

I wouldn't dare offer suggestions re Moncton, Hamilton, Windsor, Toronto, Winnipeg, St John's, etc etc because I've never spent more than a week in any of those places, but I DO know Vancouver and BC very well, and Halifax and NS well.
Old May 15th 2017, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all, I really do appreciate the recommendations, comments, warnings and all. We will be moving to a rural ish area as we want acreage.

I've lived in some, ahem, "interesting" parts of the world (Johannesburg for one) where personal safety is a concern but since moving to Canada its been mostly unicorns and rainbows and I love that, I love the sort of calm, quiet, rural Maritime quality of life and we'd like to move somewhere which still has that.

Some of our PEI friends have gone so far as to say they'd rather live in Jo'burg than Moncton or Halifax when we've talked to them about us moving. None of them have ever actually been to Jo'burg - I suspect they have a u-turn of opinion if they did but it did make me a bit paranoid.
Old May 15th 2017, 10:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
Thank you all, I really do appreciate the recommendations, comments, warnings and all. We will be moving to a rural ish area as we want acreage.

I've lived in some, ahem, "interesting" parts of the world (Johannesburg for one) where personal safety is a concern but since moving to Canada its been mostly unicorns and rainbows and I love that, I love the sort of calm, quiet, rural Maritime quality of life and we'd like to move somewhere which still has that.

Some of our PEI friends have gone so far as to say they'd rather live in Jo'burg than Moncton or Halifax when we've talked to them about us moving. None of them have ever actually been to Jo'burg - I suspect they have a u-turn of opinion if they did but it did make me a bit paranoid.
Unbelievable! I stayed in Vereeniging for a few months back in the 70's and visited Jo'burg several times.. I didn't feel very safe there and that was before everything changed (and I won't talk about the time a group of us inadvertently drove into Soweto)!

Good luck with your move and I'm sure where ever you end up, you will make it 'home'.

Old May 15th 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie. Yeah I was there when it was pretty bad, its definitely the place I felt least safe living - PEI is pretty much then exact opposite

I think I'm just worrying and dreading the hassle of moving again and its making me overly paranoid, I really want this to be our last move at least until our toddler has gone through school and out then other side, so I want to make sure we get it right, if that makes sense.
Old May 15th 2017, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also inadvertently in Soweto!?!
Old May 16th 2017, 2:22 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - I was looking at a job at Middlesbrough General Hospital a good number of years ago- I had a look round and despite being invited to interview for the job which was very busy ( Part of the job involved patching faces back together after assaults, car wrecks etc) I declined- certainly at that time it was a real sh!thole, I wonder if it has improved?
Old May 16th 2017, 2:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Yeah - I was looking at a job at Middlesbrough General Hospital a good number of years ago- I had a look round and despite being invited to interview for the job which was very busy ( Part of the job involved patching faces back together after assaults, car wrecks etc) I declined- certainly at that time it was a real sh!thole, I wonder if it has improved?
We were looking at going through the UK next time we go to Canada and stopping to visit the boy's sister. She did say that before we go out at night we should pre-stab ourselves to save the locals the effort.

I'm guessing that it hasn't improved since he was back in 2014.
Old May 16th 2017, 2:33 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We were looking at going through the UK next time we go to Canada and stopping to visit the boy's sister. She did say that before we go out at night we should pre-stab ourselves to save the locals the effort.

I'm guessing that it hasn't improved since he was back in 2014.

I would meet her up in some welcoming inn in the Borders stay a couple of days - much nicer and you will escape with your lives
Old May 16th 2017, 2:46 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses

wow, cant wait for you to see the difference. I persinally have not been to Jo-burg but have seen the crime documentaries on it and from living in NS I would say you are safe to come here

Last edited by Siouxie; May 16th 2017 at 4:28 pm. Reason: fixed your quote
Old May 16th 2017, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Howefamily
wow, cant wait for you to see the difference. I persinally have not been to Jo-burg but have seen the crime documentaries on it and from living in NS I would say you are safe to come here
I did think it was almost certainly an Islander overreaction, crikey even typing that makes me jointly want to laugh and makes me feel like a paranoid, pearl clutching dweeb! People were so resolute in their conviction about it though that it did make me pause, which makes me feel really silly!

We're going to try and visit both NS and NB over the next two weekends, but we're pretty certain that its the Lunenburg/Bridgewater area of NS which we think would be best, my husband prefers the sound of the job offer in that area too rather than the one he's been offered near Fredericton.

When I'm well enough again I can work from anywhere with an internet connection, and I fit work in around being a stay at home mum so no worries there. Plus I can do as much or as little work as I like without much pressure which is lovely and works perfectly for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.