Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:11 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
You can actually get to Boston in under eight hours from Nova Scotia - ferry from Yarmouth to Portland, Maine, and then just under a two hour drive to Boston. New York in under eleven hours too, again ferry then drive.
Is the ferry year round? I thought it was just a few months in the summer, and as it's only leased for a few years there's no guarantees what will happen after that. Looking at google it's an 11 hour drive to Boston without stops, and 15 to NYC but both assume no traffic hold ups.

ETA: May 31 - Oct 15 this year

Last edited by cxx; Jun 29th 2017 at 7:16 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

CXX do you think the "from away" thing is to do with being from away, or something else?
People often say that about PEI, but when I question things which non-islanders are doing with my PEI friends I'm always told "you wouldn't understand as you're not from away, you're an islander". I haven't even lived in PEI yet so I'm not sure what it was that upgraded me to part of the furniture status
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:30 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

The people that I've spoken to say that they were continually referred to as being "from away" despite being in NS for say 10 years, so it's not a case of someone just arriving and being told that. They were Canadians too, mostly from other Maritime provinces. They said they were made to feel like outsiders, and for example if someone they knew introduced them to someone else it would be "this is C, they're from away" then they would be pretty much ignored and told that they wouldn't understand as they were from away. Most of the people had then moved to NB and they say they don't get that and people in NB are more open to incomers.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
The people that I've spoken to say that they were continually referred to as being "from away" despite being in NS for say 10 years, so it's not a case of someone just arriving and being told that. They were Canadians too, mostly from other Maritime provinces. They said they were made to feel like outsiders, and for example if someone they knew introduced them to someone else it would be "this is C, they're from away" then they would be pretty much ignored and told that they wouldn't understand as they were from away. Most of the people had then moved to NB and they say they don't get that and people in NB are more open to incomers.
Crikey that must be uncomfortable and make conversation a bit awkward! I've heard people say the same about PEI and about always being introduced as from away, but
I've never had that personally, despite very much being from away. We move to NS south shore in 2.5 weeks so I will be on the lookout.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I've not experienced the 'come from away thing' but talking to locals who have lived here their whole lives I get the feeling it's all down to the attitude of the individual who has moved here. A lot of people have come from big cities with lots of money & automatically act superior to everyone else, those people seem to have gravitated towards each other here & have formed their own little snooty group of friends. It's quite fascinating watching different behaviours & interactions between people.

I've just found that being nice, pleasant, & down to earth, no one really has a problem with you.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:01 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by confused_uk
I've not experienced the 'come from away thing' but talking to locals who have lived here their whole lives I get the feeling it's all down to the attitude of the individual who has moved here. A lot of people have come from big cities with lots of money & automatically act superior to everyone else, those people seem to have gravitated towards each other here & have formed their own little snooty group of friends. It's quite fascinating watching different behaviours & interactions between people.

I've just found that being nice, pleasant, & down to earth, no one really has a problem with you.
I certainly wouldn't describe the people I've talking about as snooty etc. and they weren't from big cities with loads of money. One couple were from small town NL whilst another was from rural PEI and the rest had similar backgrounds. They aren't good friends of mine, just people I've met over the years but they all said they couldn't settle in NS so moved and found the people in NB to be more welcoming. Actually one lady was married to someone from NS and said that people were friendly to her husband but so horrible to her that her husband insisted they move.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I certainly wouldn't describe the people I've talking about as snooty etc. and they weren't from big cities with loads of money. One couple were from small town NL whilst another was from rural PEI and the rest had similar backgrounds. They aren't good friends of mine, just people I've met over the years but they all said they couldn't settle in NS so moved and found the people in NB to be more welcoming. Actually one lady was married to someone from NS and said that people were friendly to her husband but so horrible to her that her husband insisted they move.
That's just been my experience in this town, it's probably different elsewhere. To be fair this is a town that seems to attract a lot of people from all over the place so I think most locals are used to us foreigners & know from the get go the type they like & the type they don't.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

You can actually get to Boston in under eight hours from Nova Scotia - ferry from Yarmouth to Portland, Maine, and then just under a two hour drive to Boston. New York in under eleven hours too, again ferry then drive.
Expensive ferry though...
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
It's more theoretically possible to go there in one day than practical to do so. By contrast, people in Toronto who are interested in fashion routinely drive to "the collections" around Detroit and come back for dinner. Much as I like NS, it's not a place I would choose for urban amenities.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 3:08 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey that must be uncomfortable and make conversation a bit awkward! I've heard people say the same about PEI and about always being introduced as from away, but
I've never had that personally, despite very much being from away. We move to NS south shore in 2.5 weeks so I will be on the lookout.
If they are in anyway standoffish and unfriendly then just threaten to set Fluff on them ..that should do it
Old Jun 30th 2017, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
If they are in anyway standoffish and unfriendly then just threaten to set Fluff on them ..that should do it
Perhaps that's why I have friends, its Fluff's eyes boring into them so they daren't upset me!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 3:18 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps that's why I have so many friends, its Fluff's eyes boring into them so they daren't upset me!
I found that having a dog is a great icebreaker, people talk to you and want often to meet and pat said dog- also works with children though without the patting bit. You have both, a small child and massive dog, you will be fine..
Old Jun 30th 2017, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I found that having a dog is a great icebreaker, people talk to you and want often to meet and pat said dog- also works with children though without the patting bit. You have both, a small child and massive dog, you will be fine..
Thanks Stinky, kid(s) + dog does seem to be the magic combination for making friends doesn't it? We're all very laid back, friendly and tolerant too, and none of us are phased meeting new people or joining new groups (its sort of old hat now) we're happy to just muck in, and I think that helps.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:14 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill
and 3.5 hours drive from Halifax + 5.5 ferry + 2 hours drive + loading / unloading = well over 11 hours to Boston so probably quicker to drive, and cheaper too.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cxx
and 3.5 hours drive from Halifax + 5.5 ferry + 2 hours drive + loading / unloading = well over 11 hours to Boston so probably quicker to drive, and cheaper too.
Where's the fun or adventure in that though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.