Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

Originally Posted by Howefamily
This is how it feels to me too, especially in the summer heat and humidity, I thought I was the only one who saw it quite that way....
Oh the humidex thing that only exists in Canada:-)
https://www.thestar.com/news/starwea...e-humidex.html

I think Caribbean is more in relation to wooden houses and beaches.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Oh the humidex thing that only exists in Canada:-)
UK humid days - it's a bit sticky. Rain cools it down but then it's sticky again.

Canada humid days - harder to breathe, especially walking alongside certain shrubs, glasses steam up when leaving an air conditioned store to go in the outside "air"
Air conditioning essential.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:00 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
UK humid days - it's a bit sticky. Rain cools it down but then it's sticky again.

Canada humid days - harder to breathe, especially walking alongside certain shrubs, glasses steam up when leaving an air conditioned store to go in the outside "air"
Sweat streams down you when you are getting ready for work..... you walk outside and you feel like you are in a steam room - yup, love it!!!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Humidity varies across Canada and you'll only find what you mentioned in parts of Ontario, Quebec due to location. Nova Scotia is not really that humid compared to other places.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 27th 2017 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Humidity varies across Canada
I'm sure it does, as it likely does in the UK.
and you'll only find what you mentioned in parts of Ontario, Quebec due to location.
Probably the parts where most of the population lives.
I'm describing what I experience in New Brunswick.
Nova Scotia is not really that humid compared to other places.
I wouldn't know. But I have done spot check comparisons in many places and "could be worse" doesn't make it any more bearable.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:18 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Moses you must be in one of those provinces to be able to speak so confidently as to what its like. Where you at? (as they say in NL)
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure it does, as it likely does in the UK.

Probably the parts where most of the population lives.
I'm describing what I experience in New Brunswick.

I wouldn't know. But I have done spot check comparisons in many places and "could be worse" doesn't make it any more bearable.
Sure but that's called summer and many people around the world feel hot. Of course the UK doesn't get extreme heat but can also be humid and Canada is no different to other parts of the world.

This is good to check relative humidity.
Intellicast - Relative Humidity in Eastern Canada
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses you must be in one of those provinces to be able to speak so confidently as to what its like. Where you at? (as they say in NL)
Thanks for replying again
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:33 pm
Happy

Thanks for replying again
haha! Thought so!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

haha! Thought so!
I know you hate it, especially if I say anything that might not suit you.
Yes it's humid and hot in Canada and you won't find that anywhere else in the world. Hope you're happy now .
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:40 pm
Happy

I know you hate it, especially if I say anything that might not suit you.
Yes it's humid and hot in Canada and you won't find that anywhere else in the world. Hope you're happy now .
Actually I didnt say that at all. You should go back and read what I actually write. I speak of humidity here and I dont actually say that its not hot and humid anywhere else in the world. I spoke of NS and Wales....

What makes me laugh is how you speak so confidentally with absolutely no personal experience.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually I didnt say that at all. You should go back and read what I actually write. I speak of humidity here and I dont actually say that its not hot and humid anywhere else in the world. I spoke of NS and Wales....

What makes me laugh is how you speak so confidentally with absolutely no personal experience.

Back to that again. You are also not in Wales today and I never said Canada is like Wales. You should have read that my post was in relation to you replying that it feels more like the Caribbean. The only thing I see in relation to Caribbean might be wooden houses and some of the beaches, not the humidity in NS.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:57 pm
Oscar nominated

This is good to check relative humidity
I find personal experience to be a better guide. Walking alongside the shrub at the top of my street on a humid day and having difficulty with anything other than short breaths tells me a lot more than one figure being a bit higher than another.

It's why people say "feels like" rather than than the technical term.

I wonder, do you similarly play down second degree burns because they're not third degree?
Old Jun 27th 2017, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I find personal experience to be a better guide. Walking alongside the shrub at the top of my street on a humid day and having difficulty with anything other than short breaths tells me a lot more than one figure being a bit higher than another.

It's why people say "feels like" rather than than the technical term.

I wonder, do you similarly play down second degree burns because they're not third degree?
Exactly, personal experience is always better and believe me, a hot and sticky day in Halifax is far better than a hot and sticky day in Nassau. I've had the discussion before with Howefamily and it's always the same. It's like saying how can you have a political opinion, if your not a politician etc. LOL although in this case you have it proven and on paper and been to different places. No offence to you either. It's just that the same people moan if someone from the UK says it "feels like" but it's fine to say that if you're in Canada.

Just saying that it can feel hot and sticky in most places during summer, so nothing unique.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 2:35 pm
Oscar nominated

Just saying that it can feel hot and sticky in most places during summer, so nothing unique.
Yes to the hot and sticky in most places, but glasses steaming up when going outside and the breathing issues are not really just hot and sticky.

There are very many days like this every year, no exceptions. I never had one hour like it in 47 years in Bristol. That's the unique bit.

That other places might get it even worse doesn't render it less remarkable from the point of view of someone living in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.