Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

SurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSurreyGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

We are looking at re-locating to Nova Scotia.

It looks a good place to live but I would appreciate the views of those who have moved from the UK to be there.

Steve
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it like living in Nova Scotia?

Originally Posted by SurreyGuy
We are looking at re-locating to Nova Scotia.

It looks a good place to live but I would appreciate the views of those who have moved from the UK to be there.

Steve
Have you been on a recce yet?

We are visiting in September to have a look around NS and NB. Will be interested to see what folks say. From other posts, I get the feeling that providing you don't have culture and big cities high on your list of requirements, if you can find decent employment, it is a good area to be.

There are plenty of people on here who live there so hopefully you will get some good responses. It might be helpful to them if you give them an idea of what you are looking for though, i.e. Priorities are schooling, healthcare, employment as a fisherman.... whatever it is.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Have you been on a recce yet?

We are visiting in September to have a look around NS and NB. Will be interested to see what folks say. From other posts, I get the feeling that providing you don't have culture and big cities high on your list of requirements, if you can find decent employment, it is a good area to be.

There are plenty of people on here who live there so hopefully you will get some good responses. It might be helpful to them if you give them an idea of what you are looking for though, i.e. Priorities are schooling, healthcare, employment as a fisherman.... whatever it is.
We lived there from 2011 to 2014. Loved it but hubby lost his job and couldn't find another.
It's a great place to live. Between locals and other expats we made lots of friends.
The ocean is never far away and housing is cheap.

We're now in Ontario which is more like the rat race we wanted to leave behind when we were in SE England. Lol
Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

lived here since 2008 and love it. A lot depends on what you want out of living here. We didn't want to live near Halifax so live close to the NB border but Halifax is only a couple of hours away and traffic is nothing like the UK
Old Jun 26th 2017, 1:45 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Great place to live but obvs unless you have a trust fund or are retired you will need a job. I personally havent had any issues with finding work but some have. What do you do for a living and whats high on your priority list for lifestyle?
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Think "Wales"
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:08 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Think "Wales"
OMG No! (shudders at the mere thought of that link)
Old Jun 26th 2017, 5:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's pretty accurate for all of the Maritimes
Old Jun 26th 2017, 5:25 pm
Happy

I dont. I lived in South Wales and I hated it.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 5:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Interesting, so how does it differ ?
Old Jun 26th 2017, 7:13 pm
Happy

Interesting, so how does it differ ?
Well, obviously just my experience here....but:
Mountaineous and rainy, lots of steel works and open cast mining which for me painted an ugly picture.
Many teens had just the desire to follow their parents and grandparents in their quest for a house "up the site" due to having their first child at 16.
The baby daddies in question "went to the university of life" which could well be true as now many of them have numerous kiddos with different ladies who all live in various "site houses". None of them work because, well, there is NO work at all unless you want to work in Amazon or at the local factory kicking out blouses for M&S.
The last time I visited (2011) some buildings had burned down so now there is just one pub in the village I lived in with a sticky bar.
No-one would give a rats ass about even the concept of going to Uni.
There were ponies though, and there are ponies where I live now....

There is no "site" where I live in NS. There are teens working in McDs or Tims in their summer/weekend jobs but all are in school for the most part.
No site houses (thank God)
No pound shops littering everywhere you look, we have a dollar store but it feels totally different to the menagerie of pound stores in south wales.
No burned down pub.
You can see through the water to the bottom at the beach.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't agree. We live in PEI and are about to move to NS (in 3 weeks time). Wales? No way, although it has been many years since I was last in the UK so perhaps Wales has changed since I lived there.

If anything I would say the Maritimes are a mash up of rural UK South Coast and laid back, colonial-esque Caribbean (I have lived in both of those). That's not really fair or accurate, but as sweeping generalisations go its certainly closer than comparing the Maritimes to Wales in my opinion.

I've also yet to have any one shout at me to F Off just for going about my business, yet to witness any street brawls and yet to be called insulting names in a different language by people who think I can't understand the language.

Still, sweeping generalisations aside, as Howefamily said, with anywhere one of the key things is having a decently paid job or income stream, without one of those anywhere is quickly goign to become unappealing.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Also, our dollar stores are awesome in PEI (hoping NS will be the same). Dollarama is my favourite, their replica Bounty's and Mars Bars are fantastic, plus their herbs are brilliant value and have the best flavour of any herbs I've found yet.

Sorry, back to the issue in hand!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

If I was to compare NS to anywhere it would probably be dorset or Somerset. It's laid back, has the sea/ocean and friendly communities. There are more jobs I would say than in Wales but still not tons unless you are lucky to have the right experience.

It doesn't rain as much as in Wales either!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:21 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses

If anything I would say the Maritimes are a mash up of rural UK South Coast and laid back, colonial-esque Caribbean (I have lived in both of those). That's not really fair or accurate, but as sweeping generalisations go its certainly closer than comparing the Maritimes to Wales in my opinion.
This is how it feels to me too, especially in the summer heat and humidity, I thought I was the only one who saw it quite that way....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.