Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What are Hamilton, Brampton and Mississauga like to live and work?

What are Hamilton, Brampton and Mississauga like to live and work?

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are Hamilton, Brampton and Mississauga like to live and work?

Originally Posted by dbd33
When I parked in the Monoxide Towers (Church and Esplanade Toronto), most nights, I had a sign like in New York "No Radio Doors Unlocked Please Don't Break Glass". Someone kept breaking the glass anyway. One day I caught him, it was long enough ago that, when I hit him with my mobile phone he went down and my arm ached from the effort of heaving it.
Years ago in the UK, a friend of mine had one of those convertible jeeps with a soft top. The top was fitted to the car by means of press studs and zips. One day some moron totally mangled the door trying to break the lock then smashed the window when all he needed to do was pull the zip.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

To get back to the poor OPs original question. All those places could be made to work for you, personally (depending on commute) I would go for Hamilton over the other two. My reasons being that it's a place in its own right. It has a distinct character of its own, it's grubby in places and beautiful in others. Mississauga freaks me out a little for reasons I can't quite determine. I think it's the fact that once you get away from the older communities close to the Lakeshore (eg Port Credit, Mineola) it becomes something of a soulless wasteland of identical housing on identical subdivisions. I don't know Brampton that well (I only know the areas around the hockey rinks).
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
To get back to the poor OPs original question. All those places could be made to work for you, personally (depending on commute) I would go for Hamilton over the other two. My reasons being that it's a place in its own right. It has a distinct character of its own, it's grubby in places and beautiful in others. Mississauga freaks me out a little for reasons I can't quite determine. I think it's the fact that once you get away from the older communities close to the Lakeshore (eg Port Credit, Mineola) it becomes something of a soulless wasteland of identical housing on identical subdivisions. I don't know Brampton that well (I only know the areas around the hockey rinks).
I work now with a fair number of people who live in Brampton and Mississauga notQEW. What they value in housing is not what I value. They specifically want no lawn, no foliage and as much internal square footage as possible. I think this accounts for the look these areas, it's not just that the builders are soulless destroyers of the environment, blind to beauty, but that their customers are.

Something I find odd though is that my colleagues are sociable people, those who lived in Bradford or Southall speak warmly of the pubs there. They mostly eat lunch in restaurants. It's not the inclination of the residents that has lead to these areas having nothing but houses, that's just greed, shoving in as many boxes as possible.

I was once charged with delivering some children to a birthday party in what was then northern Mississauga, halfway up to the 401, it was before satnav and I had a hell of a time on the phone with the parents of the birthday child trying to navigate identical streets of identical houses; all the streets being named for something bulldozed to build them. That Jim Carrey film would be an accurate portrayal of the wasteland but it has too much green and not enough roll on faux brickwork.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I work now with a fair number of people who live in Brampton and Mississauga notQEW. What they value in housing is not what I value. They specifically want no lawn, no foliage and as much internal square footage as possible. I think this accounts for the look these areas, it's not just that the builders are soulless destroyers of the environment, blind to beauty, but that their customers are.

Something I find odd though is that my colleagues are sociable people, those who lived in Bradford or Southall speak warmly of the pubs there. They mostly eat lunch in restaurants. It's not the inclination of the residents that has lead to these areas having nothing but houses, that's just greed, shoving in as many boxes as possible.

I was once charged with delivering some children to a birthday party in what was then northern Mississauga, halfway up to the 401, it was before satnav and I had a hell of a time on the phone with the parents of the birthday child trying to navigate identical streets of identical houses; all the streets being named for something bulldozed to build them. That Jim Carrey film would be an accurate portrayal of the wasteland but it has too much green and not enough roll on faux brickwork.
I know, it never fails to amaze me what people will consider desirable property. Provided the kitchen has granite and stainless steel, the floors are hardwood and the bathroom is large enough to hold a barndance they don't seem to care that the backyard is smaller than a postage stamp and the occupants of 37 other homes can see them. More than one 'really?' has slipped out when clients have announced they want to offer for a particular house.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I know, it never fails to amaze me what people will consider desirable property. Provided the kitchen has granite and stainless steel, the floors are hardwood and the bathroom is large enough to hold a barndance they don't seem to care that the backyard is smaller than a postage stamp and the occupants of 37 other homes can see them. More than one 'really?' has slipped out when clients have announced they want to offer for a particular house.
My S-I-L and B-I-L live in a town which is just outside of Hamilton that has experienced a lot of growth on what was good quality farmland. The homes look like the home of that Kazakstani Canadian in Ancaster who has been charged with internet crimes. The homes are about 3000 - 3500 ft2 each with high vaulted ceilings and about 3' on each of the sides and a back yard that is maybe 15' deep. They have found a way to fill the house with 'stuff' and they find our 1700 ft2 home in Ottawa to be tiny. They have never been away from North America and in seeing photos of our holidays in the UK or Europe and seeing photos of homes they recoil in horror at the cramped surroundings. My usual retort is that people easily adapt to the amount of room that they have and that I don't want to spend my dying days paying for a McMansion.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
My S-I-L and B-I-L live in a town which is just outside of Hamilton that has experienced a lot of growth on what was good quality farmland. The homes look like the home of that Kazakstani Canadian in Ancaster who has been charged with internet crimes. The homes are about 3000 - 3500 ft2 each with high vaulted ceilings and about 3' on each of the sides and a back yard that is maybe 15' deep. They have found a way to fill the house with 'stuff' and they find our 1700 ft2 home in Ottawa to be tiny. They have never been away from North America and in seeing photos of our holidays in the UK or Europe and seeing photos of homes they recoil in horror at the cramped surroundings. My usual retort is that people easily adapt to the amount of room that they have and that I don't want to spend my dying days paying for a McMansion.
Each to his own I suppose. I am much more about the surroundings and privacy of the plot rather than the house itself. Which explains why we just bought 33 acres of trees with a house right out of 1989 (parquet flooring, grey bathroom suite and melamine with wood trim kitchen cupboards).
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 4:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

parquet flooring
Highly sought after nowadays, I hear.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

Here's a house with a nice parquet floor. Otherwise awful but nice floor:

https://espc.com/property/87a-hepbur...sid=8168767790
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Here's a house with a nice parquet floor. Otherwise awful but nice floor:

https://espc.com/property/87a-hepbur...sid=8168767790
I think the rest of the decor supports my point about the parquet. That house is also stuck in an era that is not the current one. However as parquet floors go, those are not at all bad - ours I fear are worse.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:50 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wasss
I am relocating from the UK and Toronto is expensive so I was thinking of living in one of these other places to rent and work and then go to Toronto for events, the social life on the weekend, theatre etc, is it worth it or is the difference in rent and transport not that different? Would it be better to just live in Toronto?
What do you do for work?