Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Oh and don't forget how well off you feel over the border....most of the cars on the other side are old and bashed about looking, from my experience. The first time we went I was thinking....these people do not give a s--- about their cars, so would not give a s--- about ramming yours....this is my observation...do correct me if I am wrong???......lol
Stef
Originally Posted by G77
It has been noted that Windsor drivers are "US style" - though I notice an even more extreme shift in aggressive driving style when going over the border....
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:34 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Whinging immigrants that complain about all the things they don't like about living here. Suck it up or move I say
Good comment
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:35 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Oh and don't forget how well off you feel over the border....most of the cars on the other side are old and bashed about looking, from my experience. The first time we went I was thinking....these people do not give a s--- about their cars, so would not give a s--- about ramming yours....this is my observation...do correct me if I am wrong???......lol
Stef
Maybe if you make a habit of touring the Detroit ghetto's I've not noticed any difference in the standard of cars in the nicer suburbs. A lot of the cars in this area (Detroit and Windsor) are on lease with discounts from those who work at the big 3 (those that remain anyway) - so it leads to a lot of new cars about....
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Houses are very poorly built here and cannot withstand the brutal winters. Surely in a Country that has such extreme weather, they should build with brick
The houses here are so ugly. And so are their shops. They are just big soulless boxes.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you have found out my little secret.....lol.....Ssshhhhh don't tell anyone
lol
Stef[QUOTE=G77;8673252]Maybe if you make a habit of touring the Detroit ghetto's :rofl:
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

WHATEVER!
Why would I be upset about something some fussy pratt said on BE forum??
I think somebody is a little upset
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Oh you have found out my little secret.....Maybe if you make a habit of touring the Detroit ghetto's :rofl:
Here are some charming examples near the bottom of the page

http://detroitsghetto.blogspot.com/
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:23 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I think somebody is a little upset
Nope not me
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:51 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

If you guys n gals don't like it here, why do you stay.

The driving is fine, the food is good, the dining out is better, the booze is available from a booze shop, like gas is from a gas station, the roads are great, they are huge and wide here in TO, the parking spaces are big, the bank has a drive through, fast food is fast (not always what you ordered, but thats the fun bit) the public transport infrastructure is usable, the weather has seasons, BBQ food is everywhere, the water is drinkable, the houses are affordable and warm in the winter, cold in the summer (well mine is), the vehicles don't need an MOT, and Vcle Insurance can be paid monthly and lastly and most importantly, Roger Waters will be here in at the A.C.C. in Sept.
The promised land has surpassed all expectations.

The only problem i can put my finger on, that no one likes here is HST but im sure we will all get used to it.

Gas went up 8c a ltr today because of it.

Now wheres that bus pass....

Last edited by magnumpi; Jul 2nd 2010 at 9:10 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
If you guys n gals don't like it here, why do you stay.
Glad you said that. That along with "all the whinging expats" completes my game of what's bad about canada reactionary cliché bingo.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope not me
Of course not.

Don't let them get to you. That Steve_P is a big bully.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
That Steve_P is a big bully.
Yes sir that's me.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, lets see. Today I am sitting outside on my front porch, laptop on my lap, gin and tonic to drink and the cat to keep me company. A neighbour has just strolled over with her dog for a chat. The neighbour chatted the dog just slobbered.

yesterday we had a lovely day being country folks so I am feeling benevolent

The things that annoy me about Canada seem to be things that annoy Canadians too. I reckon that at some stage in this immigration lark you are allowed to criticise without people telling you to eff of back home. Nowhere did it say on my PR papers that I wasn't allowed to criticize anything about life here.

So, that said.

I do not like, the jobs for who you know here is terrible, as is 'seniority' and the unions hold on jobs. As a miner's granddaughter that's a hard thing to admit to. I am appalled by the lack of health and safety rules and their application, the carelessness of people in matters relating to safety, food hygiene.

I don't like the casual attitude to appointment times and people ringing you back when they say they will.

hey ho. the sun is shining, it's a lovely evening.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

There is nothing about living in Canada that I don't accept fully. I may not like the tax being added at point of sale, and I am not keen on the mosquitoes, but I accept it all as being part of the move and part of starting a new life.
My house was built in '74. I have replaced the windows and some other bits and pieces which made a massive difference to the heating of the house. It seems structurally sound and is much warmer than any of the brick houses I had in the UK.
I have no objection to paying tax on 2nd hand cars as it is generally possible to do a deal with the vendor so that the price stated is the price paid.
Not being able to buy liquor in the supermarket seems to be one of the silliest gripes ever. In fact. the majority of gripes are typical british nonsense.

You moved here. Accept that things are not the same as the UK and embrace the differences. Either that or go back. Life is far too short to live with miseries like that.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:29 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Did anybody mention the glacial pace of bureaucracy here yet? You won't believe some of the citizenship application/passport/visa processing timelines reported. Waiting times have improved vastly recently but for us, and we were unlucky our skilled worker application going in just as the queue got a little crazy, from applying to become immigrants to being able to vote would have been be a minimum of about 7 years (best guess - we're still working towards it).

Is it worth it? A definite yes for us right now, but I'm not at all sure I'll want to grow old and die here.

Last edited by acer rose; Jul 2nd 2010 at 11:30 pm. Reason: Crap typing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.