Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:32 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Where I am in NS there is not enough traffic to worry about other drivers.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Whinging immigrants that complain about all the things they don't like about living here. Suck it up or move I say
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:35 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Good point - what irritates me most is there's a general lack of driving courtesy, it's very much "every man for himself" mentality. Even in the UK, if you were waiting at a side road or something, you'll generally get let out into the flow of traffic (unless you're in a BMW). I dunno if it's because there's no unofficial uniform method of signalling this i.e. flashing of lights in the UK - so it's hard to signal for someone to come out, if you're waving your hand at them, they often can't see this from the sun glare. And then if you do manage to let someone out, they just look at you like this and don't wave a thanks or any kind of acknowledgement
I was just saying this to OH yesterday. When you let people come out infront of you, they don't acknowledge and wave 'thanks' like they do in UK.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I was just saying this to OH yesterday. When you let people come out infront of you, they don't acknowledge and wave 'thanks' like they do in UK.
But in Britain they only wave at you with two fingers don't they?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:43 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
But in Britain they only wave at you with two fingers don't they?

Not always
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Car drivers in Vancouver, although incredibly useless are always very pleasant. Perhaps too much so; I am sure they are trying to be courteous, but often that seems to just be indecision.

Also on a motoring theme, i don't like the governmental, mandatory car insurance racket.

I don't like not being able to buy booze in the supermarket.

I don't like that tax isn't included in the sticker price of things.

I don't like all the Australians who come over and overwhelm the ski hills.

I don't like that the only cheaply priced ice time is during the working day.

I don't like not being able to tell if i am watching a Canuckian or American TV channel.

I don't like how Beautiful British Columbia makes me realise on a daily basis that life is waaaay way too short and that all of this will still be here to be enjoyed long after i am gone. Yes! I want to take it with me!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

The work ethic, complaining about "how busy" they are and then proceed to burn 2+ hours every day on the internet.

I struggle with the graduate mentality too, the 23 - 28 year old "I'm God's gift to the workforce because I have a degree" but then that could be anywhere I guess, I just have not worked in a company with a graduate training program before so can't compare to another country.

I love living here though.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:03 pm
The Brit is back

Houses are very poorly built here and cannot withstand the brutal winters. Surely in a Country that has such extreme weather, they should build with brick

I also don't like how tax isn't included in the sticker price.

Paying for outgoing and incoming calls/texts on the mobile phone is a complete rip off!

Lack of choice in food and clothes.
Canadians would rather drive into the states and spend all their money in the US shopping for decent clothes which are alot cheaper than here.

TV is bloody awful with way too many commercials!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Houses are very poorly built here and cannot withstand the brutal winters. Surely in a Country that has such extreme weather, they should build with brick
Huh??

Please not the brick argument again.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:07 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Brick doesn't flex with the seasons, but more to the point why bother making bricks when you have so much wood !!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:07 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Huh??

Please not the brick argument again.
Sorry, never realised it had been done already
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:09 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Brick doesn't flex with the seasons, but more to the point why bother making bricks when you have so much wood !!!

True, but we have lived in our house 3 years and the wood siding down one side has rotten like crazy so we have to have it replaced! When it rains we have a river flowing through our kitchen and into the basement!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Paying for outgoing and incoming calls/texts on the mobile phone is a complete rip off!
True. Solution: don't buy a phone.

I spent most of my life without one and i figure, i can revert back to the good old days once again.

(Until a bit of competition arrives to make it competitively priced .)
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

True, but we have lived in our house 3 years and the wood siding down one side has rotten like crazy so we have to have it replaced! When it rains we have a river flowing through our kitchen and into the basement!
So you have a poorly built home. That does not mean "all" houses in Canada are built like it.

Our home is 37 years old has the original siding and no rivers when it rains, stays comfortably warm at -40°C and show no signs of falling apart.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
So you have a poorly built home. That does not mean "all" houses in Canada are built like it.

Our home is 37 years old has the original siding and no rivers when it rains, stays comfortably warm at -40°C and show no signs of falling apart.
My current house is about 95yrs old and the frame is solid,
granted I'm dam sure that the siding isn't that old, nor the outer layers on the roof

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.