Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do landlords mean when they say "utilities are included"?

What do landlords mean when they say "utilities are included"?

Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

mesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant future
Default What do landlords mean when they say "utilities are included"?

Sorry if it is a silly question but this is the first time I try to rent a place!! I can see many units are advertised on craiglist and it is always mentioned that utilities are included. What do they exactly mean? electricity, water and gas? Does it mean that I don't need to contact any company, just pay the bills? Can anyone estimate how much will I need to pay monthly for the bills if I live alone in a studio?
Thank you.
AM
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do landlords mean when they say "utilities are included"?

Originally Posted by mesh2005
Sorry if it is a silly question but this is the first time I try to rent a place!! I can see many units are advertised on craiglist and it is always mentioned that utilities are included. What do they exactly mean? electricity, water and gas? Does it mean that I don't need to contact any company, just pay the bills? Can anyone estimate how much will I need to pay monthly for the bills if I live alone in a studio?
Thank you.
AM
It means that you do not have to pay for them (heat, electricity, water and gas if they have it) they are included in your rent, you will just move in and they should all be on.

You will however most likely have to pay for Internet, Cable TV and Telephone.

Last edited by Steve_P; Oct 14th 2008 at 2:35 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

To me it means the stove, fridge, washer, drier are included in the rent. But the electicity to heat the hot water is not unless the lease says otherwise. And yes cable, internet and phones are for the tenant to pay.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by montreal mike
To me it means the stove, fridge, washer, drier are included in the rent.
They're appliances Mike not utilities.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

alot of them say includes wireless internet and cable TV as well..
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
They're appliances Mike not utilities.
oops ... my goof
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by mesh2005
Thank you.
AM
=Some or all bills included in the rent.

Our place is in a condo, so all of the heating, water, waste and gas is on a communal supply, covered in the condo fees which are paid by the landlord (and included in the rent).

We have to pay for the electricity out of the plugs, cable, phone, internet.

Utilities Included can mean a number of different things to different people.... just make sure you confirm exactly what is included before you sign!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

mesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ramsey
=Some or all bills included in the rent.

Our place is in a condo, so all of the heating, water, waste and gas is on a communal supply, covered in the condo fees which are paid by the landlord (and included in the rent).

We have to pay for the electricity out of the plugs, cable, phone, internet.

Utilities Included can mean a number of different things to different people.... just make sure you confirm exactly what is included before you sign!
Thank you guys. I appreciate your help.
Thanks again