Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is a decent salary?

What is a decent salary?

Old Nov 4th 2017, 2:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a decent salary?

Originally Posted by frenchie82
hi again everyone, I feel like I'm constantly posting on here so bear with me......my husband will have his formal job offer arriving beginning of next week for a inter company transfer to the GTA. He has been told by the canadian boss that it will be minimum 80000 CAD plus company car. Is this a good salary for a family of 4? This will be a minimum total salary as my plan is to also work but want to wait until our children are settled before rushing to work but just wondered if this salary was decent enough to start with?

We would be looking at renting a 3 bed house around Burlington but happy to look at Kitchener also.

Any help greatly appreciated.......again!
The average salary in Toronto is $58k so yes it is decent.

However with 2 kids you'll likely need a second income stream if you want to save and get ahead.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

frenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your input.
A lot of the salaries mentioned seem to be huge and totally not within the reach of us at the moment. I'm guessing that you are in totally different employment fields as 150000 CAD is about 3 times the average wage of my husbands industry and researching my husband potential offer is already way above the average. This salary is about £12k a year more than what he earns here in the U.K And there is certainly the scope for progression with the inter company transfer to Canada.

Obviously totally understand and can see in research that we have done that rental prices are expensive.

We are not planning on living in downtown Toronto. His office will be based mainly in Kitchener but they also have offices in Mississuaga that he would need to go to occasionally but Kitchener will be the main one.

We will keep researching but 150-200k is absolutely loads of money to us and totally not in our reach so can only presume this wage is in a different industry altogether.

Good luck to you all with that salary.

Not envious at all.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your input.
A lot of the salaries mentioned seem to be huge and totally not within the reach of us at the moment. I'm guessing that you are in totally different employment fields as 150000 CAD is about 3 times the average wage of my husbands industry and researching my husband potential offer is already way above the average. This salary is about £12k a year more than what he earns here in the U.K And there is certainly the scope for progression with the inter company transfer to Canada.

Obviously totally understand and can see in research that we have done that rental prices are expensive.

We are not planning on living in downtown Toronto. His office will be based mainly in Kitchener but they also have offices in Mississuaga that he would need to go to occasionally but Kitchener will be the main one.

We will keep researching but 150-200k is absolutely loads of money to us and totally not in our reach so can only presume this wage is in a different industry altogether.

Good luck to you all with that salary.

Not envious at all.
I think there might have been 1 or 2 posts about wages in this thread slightly exaggerated aka taking the piss about not getting out of bed for less than 150,000
The average Canadian wage is around $50,000 but certain markets like Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary skew the figures. Toronto is an expensive city compared to somewhere like Regina, Winnipeg or Halifax.
[Updated November 2016] Statistics Canada recently updated their report on average salaries across the country, and it seems we’re taking home a little more than we were in 2015.

As of September 2016, the average wage for Canadian employees was $952 a week – or just under $50,000 a year. This represents a 0.4% increase over the same period last year.
https://careers.workopolis.com/advic...ges-right-now/
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

frenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I think there might have been 1 or 2 posts about wages in this thread slightly exaggerated aka taking the piss about not getting out of bed for less than 150,000
The average Canadian wage is around $50,000 but certain markets like Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary skew the figures. Toronto is an expensive city compared to somewhere like Regina, Winnipeg or Halifax.
[Updated November 2016] Statistics Canada recently updated their report on average salaries across the country, and it seems we’re taking home a little more than we were in 2015.

As of September 2016, the average wage for Canadian employees was $952 a week – or just under $50,000 a year. This represents a 0.4% increase over the same period last year.
https://careers.workopolis.com/advic...ges-right-now/
Thanks for that info. Really appreciate that info.

Really just wanted to know if we could 'survive' on that salary temporarily. I will be wanting to work for my own sanity at the very least but ideally wanted to wait until kids are happy and settled before rushing off out to work.

It seems that we can certainly survive so that's good.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 8:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info. Really appreciate that info.

Really just wanted to know if we could 'survive' on that salary temporarily. I will be wanting to work for my own sanity at the very least but ideally wanted to wait until kids are happy and settled before rushing off out to work.

It seems that we can certainly survive so that's good.
But the people who survive on that sort of salary are local people, who usually have a vast support networks of family and friends not new immigrants who have none.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 8:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... This salary is about £12k a year more than what he earns here in the U.K .....
You should be very careful about using the current exchange rate to calculate income and personal expenditure because the exchange rate has been quite volatile for reasons that have nothing to do with day to day expenditure or income levels, such as concerns over brexit and the fact that the Canadian dollar is heavily influenced by the price of minerals and commodities. So when the price of oil, coal, iron ore, timber, etc is high the Canadian dollar rise in value and Canada looks expensive, and when the price of commodities falls so does the Canada dollar, but that doesn't make Canada a cheaper place to live.

In other words that £12k you referred to above may be entirely illusory.
Originally Posted by Oink
But the people who survive on that sort of salary are local people, who usually have a vast support networks of family and friends not new immigrants who have none.
I have told them the same thing in the US forum, because it is equally true. ... Not least because they have granny and grampa to provide free daycare for infants and after school care for their children.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 4th 2017 at 8:21 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Hello All, I am the husband in question, so I am going to add some info with regards to the offer within Toronto, aka Kitchener.
The intra company transfer is for a role as an applications engineer for a UK based company.
My role will be customer facing, si the package will include a company car, my office location will be in Kitchener, however I will not have a regular commute as I will be visiting customer premises.
The first offer we received was 80,000 CAD plus company car, obviously I will push for more.
We will not have the family network for childcare etc, so my wife will have to do the lions share of this, plus finding suitable part time work for extra cash and to integrate into the local communities.
However please note, that we also do not have 'free childcare' here in the UK as grandparents are still working themselves, so this is a cost we already face.
We have cash behind us of just over 40,000 CAD which we hope is enough for a deposit for a house.
My main concern is that we do not relocate and be worse off financially because of this.
House rents, car insurance costs and food costs are the main concern, is it possible to be sensible with these costs, ie we already food budget in the UK with certain supermarkets, can this also be easily done in Canada?
$4800 will roughly be our income each month, and I would like to be able to put money aside regularly. Can this be done?
We are trying to build up the most informative picture we can to assist with our decision.
We have visited Canada once before and thoroughly enjoyed it, we are excited at the opportunity, but I am also fully aware of the realities of life.
Informative info you guys can pass on is priceless for us.
We are not looking for get rich quick methods in Canada, just an honest wage for an honest days work and integrate into the communities.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All, I am the husband in question, so I am going to add some info with regards to the offer within Toronto, aka Kitchener.
The intra company transfer is for a role as an applications engineer for a UK based company.
My role will be customer facing, si the package will include a company car, my office location will be in Kitchener, however I will not have a regular commute as I will be visiting customer premises.
The first offer we received was 80,000 CAD plus company car, obviously I will push for more.
We will not have the family network for childcare etc, so my wife will have to do the lions share of this, plus finding suitable part time work for extra cash and to integrate into the local communities.
However please note, that we also do not have 'free childcare' here in the UK as grandparents are still working themselves, so this is a cost we already face.
We have cash behind us of just over 40,000 CAD which we hope is enough for a deposit for a house.
My main concern is that we do not relocate and be worse off financially because of this.
House rents, car insurance costs and food costs are the main concern, is it possible to be sensible with these costs, ie we already food budget in the UK with certain supermarkets, can this also be easily done in Canada?
$4800 will roughly be our income each month, and I would like to be able to put money aside regularly. Can this be done?
We are trying to build up the most informative picture we can to assist with our decision.
We have visited Canada once before and thoroughly enjoyed it, we are excited at the opportunity, but I am also fully aware of the realities of life.
We are not looking for get rich quick methods in Canada, just an honest wage for an honest days work and integrate into the communities.
Welcome...it would be best if you opened your own account. It gets a little confusing otherwise.

Thank you.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 9:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Push for a lot more. See below.

Sorry but $40k is peanuts for a deposit. You might, just might be able to get a $250K -$300K mortgage on the above salary. You can't buy a home for a family of four for that in Kitchener, even less so in Burlington.

With no information about your present salary and location, I can't comment on that.

HTH
Old Nov 4th 2017, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I thing that is good salary, many immigrants would trade with you in an instant. If you are really good at your job, you will be able to negotiate your salary, to have a car thrown in too is a huge bonus, insurance and stuff to go with that is crazy expensive here, so good for you for getting that perk. It is quite unusual to get that in Canada.

Seriously though, don't try too hard to get the deal of the century until you are established, if you can integrate and be of such importance that you are irreplaceable, then you can ask for more, but don't destroy your hopes of the new life before you have made it here. Struggle by with what you have, which I am sure you will manage and then play your hand when you are in a position to negotiate. Good luck.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 9:40 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Could I ask you please to sign up with your own username? It saves a lot of confusion regarding 'who' we are talking to.. many thanks.

Kitchener is going to be a bit cheaper to rent in than, say, Toronto or Mississauga (as you are aware) but from searching online, there doesn't seem to be that many 3 bedroom houses available at present. Whilst Milton does have a fair few, you may want to keep Burlington in mind as there are probably more things to do and more opportunities for finding part time work. It's a lovely town, in my opinion. You could also consider Hamilton, which tends to be cheaper than Burlington and is only a little bit further.

Are you planning on renting initially until such time as you have Permanent Residency?

Vehicle insurance is a killer here! Do make sure that you bring proof of being accident free to reduce the premiums. There was a post the other day about which companies were prepared to accept UK experience when considering premiums which you might find useful: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...idents-904594/

We have a great 'groceries' thread that may be of help in ascertaining costs.. there are 'expensive' grocery stores and cheaper ones (usually a subsidiary/part of the same chain as the expensive ones). To give you an idea of basic costs, it may be helpful to look at some of the flyers: https://www.save.ca/flyers?gclid=EAI...SAAEgJKV_D_BwE
https://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/

There are subsidies and tax credits available for children: https://www.ontario.ca/page/tax-cred...ople#section-1 but child care can be very expensive; if you children are of school age then there are before/after school clubs that can help reduce the costs. [url]http://www.mtc.gov.on.ca/en/sport/afterschool and www.edu.gov.on.ca/kindergarten/whathappensbeforeandafterschool.html/after_school.shtml

Hope that gives you something to be going on with..

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 4th 2017 at 9:50 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 9:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...is it possible to be sensible with these costs, ie we already food budget in the UK with certain supermarkets, can this also be easily done in Canada?
Definitely. With minimal effort - no more than comparing flyer prices and going to where the best prices are that week you can save at least 25% against normal prices. If you're prepared to do two shorter trips in a week instead of one 'big' shop - easy if rival stores are not far apart or one is near where you travel for work - you can save as much as 40%. Basics - like Milk, butter, sliced bread, coffee, eggs etc are often cheapest in the big drug stores

$4800 will roughly be our income each month,
I'm not sure what the rules are on when you would qualify but I input your $80000 in the online child benefit calculator for two kids 8 & 10 and the monthly amount of $435 came up.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 10:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm not sure what the rules are on when you would qualify but I input your $80000 in the online child benefit calculator for two kids 8 & 10 and the monthly amount of $435 came up.
Although worth noting that if the OP is moving on a TWP (as seems to be the case), they wouldn't get that to start with.

OP, in case you've not already discovered it, this Wiki article may be useful reading. Intra-Company Transfer-Canada : British Expat Wiki I assume you'll be applying under the 'specialised knowledge' category so be aware that it's the most scrutinised category, and you will need to prove the points outlined in that Wiki article.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 4th 2017 at 10:48 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 11:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If the job is mainly in Kitchener, with trips elsewhere, you could consider living farther out. I work in Guelph. At one time, most people I worked with commuted there from Toronto. Then Toronto became too expensive for immigrants and new recruits lived in Guelph or Kitchener, then they were too expensive and people lived in Cambridge. Now Stratford is the fashionable location. I would not wish the hell that is Cambridge upon anyone but Stratford, the little I see of it, seems pleasant enough.

It's impossible for anyone else to say if $80,000 is enough for you; we don't know how you live now or what you hope to achieve by leaving. It's not more than getting by money for a family of four but maybe that's enough for a start in a new place.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

When we "landed" in September 2017 we had a look at Kitchener/Waterloo area to buy property. Guelph a university town close by was more to our liking. House prices in https://www.zolo.ca/guelph-real-estate/trends Guelph average around $500K for a 3 bed property which roughly equates to £300K in Sterling. With a salary of $80K you are going to need more of a deposit to buy a house in Canada.

Prices in https://www.zolo.ca/kitchener-real-estate/trends Kitchener are similar, but only 52 houses sold last month with more than 650 new listings. So it looks like the Buyers have dried up and prices could drop over winter.

Last edited by glendem4; Nov 5th 2017 at 6:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.