Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We have arrived in Oakville!

We have arrived in Oakville!

Old Nov 13th 2010, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Location: currently morpeth northumberland, shortly oakville ontario
donjac919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We have arrived in Oakville!

Hi
This is my first time on here!
We travelled the length and breadth of ontario last week with a relocator looking for a area to settle in with the familly. We arrived at oakville on our 3rd day and we didnt want to visit anywhere else!
So it was decided this is where we are moving in March (Jan for my husband as he starts work).
I have 2 kids 11 & 10 who are quite excited about it all but im quite anxious, I know we are going to have a busy few weeks when we get there. We still havent secured a rental, we viewed approx 10 in oakville.
I love it down by the lake and viewed on king st which is perfect for downtown too, although was pricey and we would struggle to fit in the extended family who are already booking their visits!!
Can anyone sugggest a nice family friendly, central area for us, i really want to be in walking distance of things but would consider anything!!
We've got schools sorted ish.
Any advice on anything that people had wished theyd done etc would be most appreciated.
thanks donna
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

maggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to all

As We have only moved to Oakville since July- 4 months ago, we still we are discovering and getting used to living in Canada! The 4 months have especially gone quick for us as we found jobs straight away and you soon get into the daily routine of things.
We live on the newer housing development on West Oaks trails which is convienently near shops and schools and as a good bus service. Quite often we walk to the nearest supermarkets like Sobeys e.tc.. or go to the Glen Abbey community centre which as agym, swimmingpool and library!
We have also dicoversd the trails and the Escarpent, Bronte creek which is so close and is perfect for families.
Our son has settled in school and gets the bus every morning and I have a job near by.
My experience of going around with a realtor was to buy instead of rent as rental is expensive and if you have kids - you need to be in the catchment area of the school and if you move out of the catcment area, then you need to change schools.living down near the lake is more expensive, and the bronte area nice too! I have heard there is a newcomer club in Oakville, so maybe that too will be a good chance to meet other people and find out more about the area.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

I'm not sure about ex-pat meet ups in Oakville (not currently living there) but when I am back in the Oakville/Burlington area we often go to the Queens head pub in Oakville (I have no affiliation BTW). Lots of expats in there, particularly around late afternoon/dinner time. Its owned by Scots, and all seem welcome.

Lots of good areas in Oakville - A lot will come down to budget etc as some areas can be pricey. As with anywhere, some areas are not as good but in my experience none are particularly dodgy. If commuting into Toronto, its probably useful to be near, or within easy distance of Bronte, Oakville, or Clarkson Go stations.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

thankyou maggie-may and mrs g for your advice. Yes we saw the queens head when we were over last week and were having a wonder around town! didnt go in but did have a lovely sandwich at 'bite me twice' opposite.
i will google earth west oak trails in the morning, thank the lord for google earth!!
we are only supposed to be in toronto 3 yrs but it could be longer ,could be shorter. thats why we are renting, the kids are hopefully going to glenburnie or rotherglen, so we are ok for where we live in oakville. ive visited both and they seem lovely so id be happy with any, so we were going to try and find accomodation and then pick the nearest school to the house, so we need to hurry it up as applications need to go in asap.
im sure we'll find a home soon, my husband is back and forward so will view some more next week.
its going to be a busy few months i think!!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:16 am
Just Joined

lara5517 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Maggie May,

We also arrived in Oakville last July - our experience (realtor, SIN, drivers licence, bank, Sobeys, etc etc) sounds very familiar!

I think we live quite close - we're near Dundas and 6th line. We have three boys (7, 6, 6) and they also get on the school bus each morning.

Just wanted to say "Hi"!

Hannah

Originally Posted by maggie-may
As We have only moved to Oakville since July- 4 months ago, we still we are discovering and getting used to living in Canada! The 4 months have especially gone quick for us as we found jobs straight away and you soon get into the daily routine of things.
We live on the newer housing development on West Oaks trails which is convienently near shops and schools and as a good bus service. Quite often we walk to the nearest supermarkets like Sobeys e.tc.. or go to the Glen Abbey community centre which as agym, swimmingpool and library!
We have also dicoversd the trails and the Escarpent, Bronte creek which is so close and is perfect for families.
Our son has settled in school and gets the bus every morning and I have a job near by.
My experience of going around with a realtor was to buy instead of rent as rental is expensive and if you have kids - you need to be in the catchment area of the school and if you move out of the catcment area, then you need to change schools.living down near the lake is more expensive, and the bronte area nice too! I have heard there is a newcomer club in Oakville, so maybe that too will be a good chance to meet other people and find out more about the area.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:54 am
Just Joined

maggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to all

Hi
Its nice to hear from you!
Its been a busy and hectic 4 months- It seems like we have been here for ages and the memories of the hot summer have gone!
Because I got a job within 4 weeks of getting here and now a second one, I think work governs your life , the same as it does in U.k, but the added stress of learning new things and adapting. It has been hard at times!
My son is 15 and he goes to White oaks school- we live off the west oak trails near the Bronte road!
Again nice to hear from someone close by- I don't go on ex-pats that much, but might join the newcomers club in Oakville- I think the firt meeting is on Tuesday evening 14th December.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

lara5517 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo!

I can totally relate to what you wrote - very stressful at the beginning with everything being new! I get quite homesick at times, mainly because I miss my family, but I'm told it gets better :-)

I went to the Newcomers Club this month and it wasn't really for me. The Oakville Mum's Meet Up group www.meetup.com is fun - I'm organising a Mom's Night Out on December 3 in a local restaurant. Would you like to come?

Bye!

Hannah
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Big GG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Donjac,

We are also moving to Oakville next summer. We have two children, 8 and 6. We are also looking at schools and found out already that renting a house within the catchment area of a good school is a real struggle.

Glenburnie and Rothlergen are private schools as far as I know. What exactly is the primary reason for choosing a private school ? Is it just because that you would not need to worry about the catchment area ?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lara5517
Hallo!

I can totally relate to what you wrote - very stressful at the beginning with everything being new! I get quite homesick at times, mainly because I miss my family, but I'm told it gets better :-)

I went to the Newcomers Club this month and it wasn't really for me. The Oakville Mum's Meet Up group www.meetup.com is fun - I'm organising a Mom's Night Out on December 3 in a local restaurant. Would you like to come?

Bye!

Hannah
Hi Hannah
Thanks for the invite, but i work Friday evenings (typical) Maybe another time. Why was the newcomers club not for you/ I have my reservations, but thought I can at least try it and then take it from there!
Bye Maggie
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Big GG

The reason we chose private over public was for a variety of reasons.

Firstly, we came over for 5 days with a relocator in tow, in that time we travelled the length and breadth of ontario and visited 6 schools and 20 houses. So time was against us in that decisions had to be made pretty quick.

Secondly, the public schools we visited in the time we had, were not a patch on the public schools my kids attend in northumberland, in terms of facilities, class sizes and just gut feeling.

Then finally we discovered the restrictions on which school you could attend if you were living in this st or that st etc, which was the final decider as rentals are so few and far between in oakville.

Maybe if we'd had more time and could have explored more public schools, im sure we wouldve found a nice one that we felt comfortable with.

The applications are now going into Rotherglen which seems really nice and friendly and im hopeful the kids will settle here.

House rental is a different matter, i didnt realise that to rent, an offer has to be submitted in contract form much like when you purchase ! just sent that off today and keeping fingers crossed on them accepting our offer to rent.

Looking forward to coming out though and im sure we'll get sorted soon
Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Poolsadie will become famous soon enoughPoolsadie will become famous soon enough

Ledoux, Lew and Patterson Insurance Brokers...contact Ilija Dujmovic (pronounced elia). Great guy, and honestly the cheapest car insurance in the 7 years we have been here (we insure 2 cars). Worth the call.

AND Good Luck, sounds like you are really enjoying your first time in Canada - Oakville is a lovely place, we actuallly looked their first ourselves but decided on the greener, more countryfide North Caledon!