Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move from YYC

Wanting to move from YYC

Old Aug 31st 2017, 7:47 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Kooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move from YYC

Originally Posted by scottabraham13
I'm moving to YYT next week to start my new life with my Canadian wife. I have visited St. John's 3 times before. It is a truly beautiful island and I love it there. The people are amazing as well, possibly more amazing than the scenery.
I am so terribly sorry for the late reply! The transition back into Canada has been extremely difficult and has brought out some ugly ass mental health problems!
How did your move go? Do you still love it as much as before you moved?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 7:48 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Kooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And the weather is great!
What's the weather like out there? I heard the winters were worse than here in Calgary.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:04 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
NL is a great place. (Despite the weather). It is beautiful, often in a harsh way, has unlimited ocean views if thats your thing. (I'd struggle I think to live far away from the ocean), friendly people, a climate that doesn't have the highs and lows of mainland Canada and more fiddle music than is healthy. It's also 3.5hrs time difference from the UK which becomes surprisingly useful in staying in touch - and in my case working with primarily London based colleagues. Access to the outdoors is easy - hiking, walking, ATV, Skidoo etc - 1000's of kms of trails and paths. St John's is a vibrant social city with surprisingly good restaurants and a legendary bar scene.

But....It's going to be more expensive to live here than YYC. Groceries cost more - they have to be shipped further & it's very noticeable when weather stops the ferries running that shelves empty quickly. Travel, anywhere is more expensive and involved than in YYC I'm sure. Getting to Halifax, for example is likely a $600 airfare r/t or a 12 hour drive, an 8 hour ferry ride and another 6hr drive. On the flip side, getting to London is a cinch with regular 4.5hr flights. Taxation is higher than AB & electricity rates are predicted to double in a few years when Muskrat Fails comes on line.

The economy is in a bit of a decline. It's very much Oil and Gas driven (like AB) so you know the impact that lower price of oil can have. Megaprojects (Hebron, Long Harbour, Muskrat Falls) are winding up which will release a ton of labour back into the market. The fishery is going down the crapper (again but probably more seriously this time) and the public sector is being cut back. (a necessary thing).

Property might be cheaper than YYC though - and prices have softened over the past year (2% decline). Can't speak for rents but suspect the same.

IMHO Success / Happiness is intrinsically linked to having adequate/good employment. So whether you want to move to NL, NS, NB or PEI, it's likely all around a job first. What do you do for a living?
Sorry for the extremely delayed reply Atlantic Xpat!

My husband and I both grew up on the SE coast of England and I know that I particularly struggle with being away from the ocean. I often find myself feeling trapped being in AB.
That time difference sounds very appealing. Would definitely make it so much easier to stay in touch.

That sucks about the groceries. I thought they were excessively expensive here! Travel I'm not AS concerned with. I'd mostly be going to London anyway or at least that's my biggest concern and then it's usually relatively easy and cheap to get elsewhere from London so the short flight is definitely appealing.

The economy seems to be in a decline everywhere unfortunately. As you say with the fishing over there, I don't think oil and gas is ever going to get to where it once was. Everyone here says the economy over on the east coast is absolute trash but I can never decide if that's just the greedy oil money mentality or if it really is that bad.

Property is quite expensive here for sure. From a quick browse on real estate sites it looks like we would be able to afford a great house with the sale from our current one.

I currently work for Alberta Health Services in a clerk type position but I'm on the edge of starting my own photography business, which even once started properly likely won't make much money for a good few years.
I partially agree with you on the job front for happiness.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:07 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
We moved to NS last year, and I can honestly say that it was the biggest mistake we have ever made! Stay in Calgary; even in a recession it has more going for it than any of the maritime cities. Plus, there is the much-reported doctor shortage, appalling state of the roads, and an older demographic (I am at the "older end" and all the grey-hairs put me in a funk!). If AB is getting you down, then I feel that the best move for you would be back to the UK, since almost everywhere else in Canada seems to be going into the crapper!
What was your reasoning for moving to NS though?
Nowhere in a recession is going to be good. I think it also depends on what makes you happy though. i.e. the style of life you enjoy living, what you like to do with your free time etc.
As far as I saw when I was back in Blighty the economy was in the trash and jobs were hard to find but it's a lot more expensive to live there. So would it really be better to move back there?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:08 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Originally Posted by Howefamily
The roads are indeed appalling although I have seen equally bad ones in Dorval.
Yes, what do you do for a living. If you have a career and can get a decent job here (they do exist) AND can find a doctor its a great place to live
I work for Alberta Health Services in a clerk type position but it makes me miserable. The dream job is to start my own photography business, luckily something that can move anywhere but is also extremely difficult to start.
I half eye roll when people from AB tell me there aren't any good jobs out there because if it were truly as bad as people from here make it out to be, literally no-one would live there.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:57 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooksty
I work for Alberta Health Services in a clerk type position but it makes me miserable. The dream job is to start my own photography business, luckily something that can move anywhere but is also extremely difficult to start.
I half eye roll when people from AB tell me there aren't any good jobs out there because if it were truly as bad as people from here make it out to be, literally no-one would live there.
I Really hope you prove me wrong but earning money in photography to keep adequate food on the table is incredibly difficult these days
Old Sep 1st 2017, 12:22 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the sound of Halifax and wish to heaven I had moved to.a city with more than a handful of people. I am in NB and don't detest it, but dislike it, quite strongly on occasion and will leave when my son has finished his education.

The winter here is abominable. When I tell people in Europe that I can't see my neighbour's house over the snow banks....they laugh politely as they think I'm exagerating...but I'm not. The weather doesn't do anything half heartedly here...if it rains it buckets or it's boiling hot or freezing...the snow generally hangs about until the end of April.

If you are having mental health issues in Alberta, for heaven's sake don't bring them to NB...half of this Province seems to be permanently depressed and the other half is not far behind.

Very best of luck
Old Sep 1st 2017, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or personal experiences on the East Coast? I'd rather not move to another big city but I'd like to be near one, particularly one with an airport.

There are no big cities on the east coast of Canada.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:44 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I Really hope you prove me wrong but earning money in photography to keep adequate food on the table is incredibly difficult these days
I know! If I were going to do it full time, it would take me years to get to that point. Hopefully with enough hustle in the right direction, I'll be able to make it work
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:45 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
There are no big cities on the east coast of Canada.
That's fine. I grew up in a small town. The only big city I really love is London but that's a special breed all of its own.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:47 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Originally Posted by MillieF
I really like the sound of Halifax and wish to heaven I had moved to.a city with more than a handful of people. I am in NB and don't detest it, but dislike it, quite strongly on occasion and will leave when my son has finished his education.

The winter here is abominable. When I tell people in Europe that I can't see my neighbour's house over the snow banks....they laugh politely as they think I'm exagerating...but I'm not. The weather doesn't do anything half heartedly here...if it rains it buckets or it's boiling hot or freezing...the snow generally hangs about until the end of April.

If you are having mental health issues in Alberta, for heaven's sake don't bring them to NB...half of this Province seems to be permanently depressed and the other half is not far behind.

Very best of luck
What don't you like about it if you don't mind my asking?

Oh wow, that weather sounds insane!

Thankfully, I'm getting better. Sounds like that place needs some life thrust back into it.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 12:03 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

What don't you like about it if you don't mind my asking?

Oh wow, that weather sounds insane!

Thankfully, I'm getting better. Sounds like that place needs some life thrust back into it.
I think the problem lies with me because whilst I have lived in small places before, I have always had reasonale access to larger cities. Fredericton is a 'City' of 58,000. Moncton has more people but is a long drive for not really any benefits so Halifax at 5 hours plus driving is the only larger place. I need more people. There are often occasions when I feel that I have blundered onto the set of the walking dead.

Fredericton talks about change and can initiate studies and discussion groups in a heatbeat but there is remarkably little interest in modernization...they are proud that something has 'always been done that way'.

It's hard to have a broad based discussion on any subject because generally its just so very parochial. It just damps down your spirit a bit.

The weather is insane...an excellent word for it.

On a good note, I know all of my neighbours we all do things for one another...but that being said, I've always known my neighbours, it's unthinkable not to.

I have friends who hail from many other parts of Canada and even a New Zealand friend who had her kids in Moncton and they all tell me that Fredericton is a cliquey unfriendly place and is very unrepresentative of Canada.

So I live in hopes for the future...and so must you Kooksty
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Lately I've been feeling the East Coast of Canada calling me.
The Maritimes have a crappy economy (except possibly NL if you want to work on an oil rig) way higher taxes and much crappier infrastructure. Plus if you're really lucky, you get hit with a hurricane. Everyone moved from there to here or Toronto so not sure why you would want to move there.

If you want to move to the GTA or Ottawa there might be some sense to that but I don't think you'll like the traffic in the GTA.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 10:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

When they say there aren't any good jobs out there, they mean there aren't enough good jobs out there. Even for your clerk type position, there are likely hundreds of locals that are desperate for a steady job like that, and as many report here, there is plenty of favoritism amongst family and friends. Photography, as Stinky said, is a very unlikely proposition. Even in that, family, friends and network would be essential to make a very modest income. It may well be that you will be able to afford a better property in the Maritimes, and that it has the sea and shorter time difference, all great reasons, but be sure to investigate realistic work opportunities before taking the plunge. Especially if one you has mental health issues. There is a reason so many young maritimers end up in Alberta when they too prefer the good life.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 12:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
...there is the much-reported doctor shortage...
NS has more per 100,000 than any other province according to 2015 figures.
For several years the maritimes has come out rather well in comparisons with doctor availability.

2015. Canada per 100,000 = 228

Highest province = 261/NS. NL = 243, NB = 222.
Qc 242, On 220, AB 237, BC 232, MB 204

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.