Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Walk in Doctor verses Registering with Doctor

Walk in Doctor verses Registering with Doctor

Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:13 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walk in Doctor verses Registering with Doctor

Originally Posted by evets
Do you need Costco membership, as heard the same from some colleagues.
People here (BE) have said you don't but that entering the store you may be asked and they've said it's not a problem just to say you're there for prescriptions.

Anyone know if they have an on line or phone refill capability?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need Costco membership, as heard the same from some colleagues.
No.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Ok ta, so no real discount pharmacies here then. Kinda pot luck, but if you have private healthcare then it does not really matter as covered.
Depends on how good your private scheme is ..... usually called Extended Healthcare here, as everyone if supposed to be contributing to the Provincial medicare programme.

There may well be a deductible to the Extended Health .......... ours is $1,000 before they will cover anything.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to try to find the cheapest pharmacy dispensing fee wise to save the govt money but now I just go the closest one to me.

Crazy how much dispensing fees can be. Sometimes more then the med.

I had a generic med once which was only 1.80 but the dispensing fee was 13 and some change.

But we have coverage for the dispensing fee but always interesting to see the costs of meds and dispensing fees on the receipt.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I don't believe you do. Can be a long wait to pick up though. Our Costco is 60 to 90 mins processing time.

OK ta, will double check with a colleague at work as believe from memory he may use this.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I used to try to find the cheapest pharmacy dispensing fee wise to save the govt money but now I just go the closest one to me...
Yep...it's not worth the hassle. The gov doesn't seem to care about wasting enormous sums - and, boy, do they ever waste - it's barely worth the $ here and there going out of your way.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
People here (BE) have said you don't but that entering the store you may be asked and they've said it's not a problem just to say you're there for prescriptions.

Anyone know if they have an on line or phone refill capability?
No membership needed and yes they do have phone refill capability.

You can also negotiate the price of meds at a pharmacy. Our cat needed cyclosporine which is pricey and Costco was the cheapest by a long way but it's also 45km away so that's time and money to get there. The village pharmacist brought their price down to close to Costco's price which made it worthwhile to get there.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

fourspoon is an unknown quantity at this point

This was an interesting read. I'm having the same debate myself. We've been here 6 months and after trying a couple of different ones, we have found a walk-in clinic that we really like. The Dr is a really nice British expat, we see the same guy everytime, we never have to wait long to get seen, but everyone assumes we will register with a family doctor at some point.

But all I'm seeing is that hardly any family doctors in my area are taking new patients, so I'm going to be going further away, having far less convenient opening hours and a complete pot luck as to whether the Dr is any good or not...I'm struggling to see what the benefit is.