Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Walk in Doctor verses Registering with Doctor

Walk in Doctor verses Registering with Doctor

Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:03 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walk in Doctor verses Registering with Doctor

Where I live (QC) you have almost zero chance of getting a family doctor and no chance whatsoever of getting into one of the two walk-ins unless you are prepared to camp on the payment. People use hospital ERs or go to walk-ins in Ottawa, where we have to pay. You can claim reimbursement from the QC government but it's only about 50%. Last year my missus and I were able to sign up with a family doctor in Ottawa. You still have to pay but it's not a case of here's a prescription now bugger off.

You hear a lot of French being spoken in his waiting room.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
In BC, it is now the duty of the pharmacist to catch all drug interactions AND multiple prescriptions for the same drug issued by different doctors ...... all possible by having the computerised and centralised programmes.
I don't know if any other provinces have also put the onus on pharmacists.
I believe the central thing happens here also. I can't remember exactly what happened but my mother in law had a prescription to fill and it happened that we were near a completely different pharmacy to the regular one - not even part of the same chain - and she went in to fill it.

The usual pharmacy had her Seniors Drug Program (OAS) details on file for which she pays a reduced rate for but this pharmacy didn't. She decided to pay the extra $15 because it was more convenient than making a separate trip to the usual one, but it was obvious they linked in to her existing prescriptions records.

On the point of Interactions, there's all this information out there about taking a list of current meds (or the meds themselves) to your doctor - which you'd really think would be in your file (if it's a regular doc and no walk-ins used) and when you look up a particular drug on the internet or read the sheet that comes from the pharmacist when it's a new prescription, you read "do not take (drug C) if you already take (drug A).

It seems to me that if I can glean this information then I'd prefer it if my doc didn't prescribe drug C when he should be aware he's already prescribed drug A previously.

Of course it's not a perfect world and he may miss it - or it may just be that the doses are okay or an interaction risk is better than not having A & C or something.

It's just that I'd prefer the pharmacy to be a secondary, or back-up, check rather than the only one.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I believe the central thing happens here also. I can't remember exactly what happened but my mother in law had a prescription to fill and it happened that we were near a completely different pharmacy to the regular one - not even part of the same chain - and she went in to fill it.

The usual pharmacy had her Seniors Drug Program (OAS) details on file for which she pays a reduced rate for but this pharmacy didn't. She decided to pay the extra $15 because it was more convenient than making a separate trip to the usual one, but it was obvious they linked in to her existing prescriptions records.

On the point of Interactions, there's all this information out there about taking a list of current meds (or the meds themselves) to your doctor - which you'd really think would be in your file (if it's a regular doc and no walk-ins used) and when you look up a particular drug on the internet or read the sheet that comes from the pharmacist when it's a new prescription, you read "do not take (drug C) if you already take (drug A).

It seems to me that if I can glean this information then I'd prefer it if my doc didn't prescribe drug C when he should be aware he's already prescribed drug A previously.

Of course it's not a perfect world and he may miss it - or it may just be that the doses are okay or an interaction risk is better than not having A & C or something.

It's just that I'd prefer the pharmacy to be a secondary, or back-up, check rather than the only one.
Very interesting and never thought about that. Then again not been in that position so would not have crossed my mind.

Crazy you have to pay more to use a different pharmacy. Surely the price should be consistent across them!
Old Jan 18th 2018, 12:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
Good points, but still question the system as not registered for a doctor in the last 7 years. Then again not really been that sick in which I would care for my doctor to know my medical history.

And then what you have said, they probably would not as only reading a file prior.

Does registering with a doctor in Canada, allow you access to certain prescriptions otherwise that would not be prescribed.
The only meds I can think of are narcotics. You're unlikely to get these at a walk in clinic and Emerge docs won't prescribe them.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 12:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy you have to pay more to use a different pharmacy. Surely the price should be consistent across them!
On a general point the cost of the prescription does vary at different pharmacies as the cost includes a 'processing' fee.
I think the same drug may have different pricing according to the pharmacy, irrespective of the fee. Some pharmacies subsidise the cost too.

MIL specific, though, the different pharmacy would have given her the seniors drug plan reduced cost but they had no proof she qualified.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Some mental health meds can be difficult to get filled at walk in clinics here in Vancouver.

Originally Posted by bats
The only meds I can think of are narcotics. You're unlikely to get these at a walk in clinic and Emerge docs won't prescribe them.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

You do realise that most doctors only have one 1 term class in pharmacy at the most?

Some schools only offer much shorter classes, say 6 seminars over a period of 6 weeks.

Pharmacists have a 4 year university degree

It is believed that many, if not most, doctors rely more on what drug company representatives tell them

I'm much happier to have the pharmacists responsible for catching multiple prescriptions, drug interactions, etc etc.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There is another option for getting a doctor if you live in a city with a university with a medical school that operates a Family Practice Clinic.

The Family Practice Clinic serves as the place where newly qualified doctors can do the 2 year Residency Programme in Family Practice.

There are supervisory doctors acting as mentors, most of whom are in practice themselves and give half a day or a full day a week to work with the residents. Other supervisors might be members of the Medical School faculty, or retired family doctors.

We have been registered with one of these clinics for about 16 years ........... I see the resident in an examination room, he/she has access to my file on the computer (it used to be hard copy!), discusses the problem with me, tells me what s/he thinks, then s/he goes off to consult with the supervisor on duty. The supervisor may come in to see me to confirm the diagnosis, but always signs or co-signs any prescriptions or forms requesting tests.

There is also always a pharmacist in that "back room" to give some more training to the Residents on suitable drugs, possible interactions, possible alternatives, etc. That pharmacist may also request to meet with the patient ......... I had a long interview with a pharmacist on duty 2 years ago in which he went into detail with me about the prescriptions I take, suggestions on changes, and listened to what I had to say.

The clinic likes a patient to stay with a resident once assigned during the 2 year period .... unless there is a personality conflict, or you need to see a doctor when the resident is not available or away for extra training.

Con .............. residents are only in the Clinic for a maximum of 2 years, some may go elsewhere to do their second year. But the supervisors provide continuity

Pro .......

..... I can get an appointment within 2 days even for minor things
..... I have got in same day for an emergency, seeing one of the supervisors once and having a supervisor coming in on the second to commend the Resident for a quick diagnosis and congratulate me on being aware enough to demand and immediate appointment ............ it saved a several day stay in hospital!
..... the resident is almost always on time, and has time to spend with each patient (not sure how this plays out when they get out into the real world!)
..... the university hospital is just down the street, easy access for Xrays etc
..... covered by the provincial medical plan

Last edited by scilly; Jan 18th 2018 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by scilly
You do realise that most doctors only have one 1 term class in pharmacy at the most?
Why on earth would I know that?
But I don't have any at all and I can find out very quickly about an interaction. My doc has a gizmo that would allow him to find such things out very quickly too. I've seen him use it to find an alternative medication for that very reason.

So I don't think it unreasonable for him to know (perhaps from a previous experience), be sure or check. Those few seconds checking his gadget could save the time on a further appointment.

I'm much happier to have the pharmacists responsible for catching multiple prescriptions, drug interactions, etc etc.
I didn't suggest one or the other, though, I suggested both. That's double the chances of avoiding something nasty.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

On a general point the cost of the prescription does vary at different pharmacies as the cost includes a 'processing' fee.
I think the same drug may have different pricing according to the pharmacy, irrespective of the fee. Some pharmacies subsidise the cost too.

MIL specific, though, the different pharmacy would have given her the seniors drug plan reduced cost but they had no proof she qualified.
Interesting, as was not aware of that. And not really noticed any discount chemists/pharmacies here. Then not had any prescriptions but the way Mississauga is so spread out, I may have missed them.

Interesting that getting the same drug may cost more at one pharmacy than another. I thought it was just the US screwing people over prescription drugs, Canada also but keeps it on the quiet.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:15 am
Oscar nominated

Interesting, as was not aware of that. And not really noticed any discount chemists/pharmacies here. .
Patients covered by NB's equivalent of Ontario's Trillium and social assistance recipients normally pay $4, but Shoppers DrugMart "pays" it for them.

The Seniors Drug Program (if receiving OAS) means they pay $9 but Shoppers only charges them $5, so the same $4 'discount'

I remember seeing a notice at the pharmacy in Superstore/Loblaws offering something similar some time ago and I remember a 'local character' on social media talking about it a few years ago.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok ta, so no real discount pharmacies here then. Kinda pot luck, but if you have private healthcare then it does not really matter as covered.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:25 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ok ta, so no real discount pharmacies here then. Kinda pot luck, but if you have private healthcare then it does not really matter as covered.
Costco are usually the cheapest.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bats
Costco are usually the cheapest.
Do you need Costco membership, as heard the same from some colleagues.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need Costco membership, as heard the same from some colleagues.
I don't believe you do. Can be a long wait to pick up though. Our Costco is 60 to 90 mins processing time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.