Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ahem. Best city to find a job

Ahem. Best city to find a job

Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ahem. Best city to find a job

The Best (And Worst) Cities In Canada To Find A Job
A year ago, the highest-ranking cities in BMO's Labour Market Report Card were primarily places near Toronto and Vancouver, beneficiaries of a major housing boom...
So what's the best city in Canada to find a job? Um, that would be Moncton, New Brunswick, according to BMO — population 72,000. The city has rocketed to first place in BMO's rankings
Sorry...where was that you said? Oh yes, Moncton. Rings a bell.
10. Halifax, N.S.
9. Edmonton, Alta.
8. Saskatoon, Sask.
7. Quebec City
6. Toronto, Ont.
5. Kelowna, B.C.
4. Vancouver, B.C.
3. Oshawa, Ont.
2. Abbotsford, B.C.
1. Moncton, N.B.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 11:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: Ahem. Best city to find a job

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The Best (And Worst) Cities In Canada To Find A Job

Sorry...where was that you said? Oh yes, Moncton. Rings a bell.
Possibly due to everyone buggering off to other places there is nobody left to employ??
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Possibly due to everyone buggering off to other places there is nobody left to employ??
It's funny, of course, and quite strange to have such a turnaround but for anyone (the usual naysayers ) thinking that may be it, the reverse is actually true with the city population continuing to increase.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

It's funny, of course, and quite strange to have such a turnaround but for anyone (the usual naysayers ) thinking that may be it, the reverse is actually true with the city population continuing to increase.
Lack of jobs has not been a problem in Moncton in the 8 years that I have lived here.

Well paid jobs with good companies and conditions on the other hand....
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:58 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Well paid jobs with good companies and conditions on the other hand....
On the other hand, what's the point of better pay if buying a home is beyond reach or rent cancels out the extra net pay?
Old Apr 12th 2018, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

On the other hand, what's the point of better pay if buying a home is beyond reach or rent cancels out the extra net pay?
It isnt so much the pay vs the cost of housing here that is the problem. It is the lack of viable alternative. Far too many find themselves underemployed. If you are lucky enough to find a good gig then the employer knows that they have you by the ..... As a result they take the proverbial. Longer hours for less pay and crap benefits are a real problem as it means a poor work life balance. The employer uses this to their advantage as they know full well that there is very little that you can do. Quite often its a)dead mans shoes or b) the job will go to the boss' mate or relative etc.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:48 pm
Oscar nominated

It's hard for me to argue against that since I never had to look for work but all these things are said about everywhere in Canada.

I do think people judge the province here rather than the cities and the city population is increasing. If the jobs front can improve so dramatically even with the number of people moving here increasing it's hard to see it's all bad.

The universities, hospitals, finance houses, government departments (federal and provincial) IT organisations, lawyers, schools etc must be able to supply one or two decent jobs between them.

Someone must be able to afford the $1500 a month luxury rents, the executive homes and those new condos costing up to $780,000
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Is that in general?

Toronto probably has an advantage of a vast number of low-skilled jobs, and I suspect the City of Toronto probably has more employees than the entire population of Moncton.

Edit. Apparently the City employs approx. 33,500 employees.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

David_ns is an unknown quantity at this point

NS I would say is only an option if you can work in health care / medical field. Other than that hgv driver, not much other than retail, very limited fields and opportunities
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:43 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David_ns
NS I would say is only an option if you can work in health care / medical field. Other than that hgv driver, not much other than retail, very limited fields and opportunities
I dont agree, I have had no issue finding work other than when I waited for a specific role in a specific company - that took a year. Other than that no issues. I am an Accountant, in industry.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

David_ns is an unknown quantity at this point

I held a position for several years until the company changed its business direction.
I have worked in media, defence, technical and managerial. More recently found that myself and other Brits in & around this area are passed over in favour of less qualified and experienced individuals and more than myself experiencing 'negative issues' at places of employment with regards to "foreign workers".
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I know of one employer hiring in Vancouver... But there are lots of now hiring signs here, mostly lower paid service type jobs, but i am sure there are others, I just don't look for those jobs since they are not within my realm of possibilities.

When I look online I see jobs in Moncton and NS, the issue is pay, while I do know the cost of living there is lower, not sure 2 people can live on 13/hr even in Moncton with 1 income....

Odd to see Abbotsford on the list, I tried for 2 years to get a job there, any job and couldn't even get interviews.

Only reason Vancouver has so many service jobs/lower wage jobs is because people cannot afford to live here, even at 15-20/hr its difficult to survive in Vancouver.

My employer pays $15/hr to start and $16 within 3-6 months. No set increases beyond that however.

Those in NS/Moncton can 2 adults survive on 12/hr?

$480 week before taxes/deductions.

Canada doesn't really lack jobs it seems, but Canada does seem to lack jobs that pay a decent wage.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 16th 2018 at 7:11 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:29 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I know of one employer hiring in Vancouver... But there are lots of now hiring signs here, mostly lower paid service type jobs, but i am sure there are others, I just don't look for those jobs since they are not within my realm of possibilities.

When I look online I see jobs in Moncton and NS, the issue is pay, while I do know the cost of living there is lower, not sure 2 people can live on 13/hr even in Moncton with 1 income....

Odd to see Abbotsford on the list, I tried for 2 years to get a job there, any job and couldn't even get interviews.

Only reason Vancouver has so many service jobs/lower wage jobs is because people cannot afford to live here, even at 15-20/hr its difficult to survive in Vancouver.

My employer pays $15/hr to start and $16 within 3-6 months. No set increases beyond that however.

Those in NS/Moncton can 2 adults survive on 12/hr?

$480 week before taxes/deductions.

Canada doesn't really lack jobs it seems, but Canada does seem to lack jobs that pay a decent wage.
I know that its not easy at all but I have friends earning that, they have their own property on an acrea overlooking the river, I think it was $130k, they both drive 30 mins to work. Their house is always warm in the winter and there is never a shortage of food and they frequent Tims so they are certainly surviving.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I know that its not easy at all but I have friends earning that, they have their own property on an acrea overlooking the river, I think it was $130k, they both drive 30 mins to work. Their house is always warm in the winter and there is never a shortage of food and they frequent Tims so they are certainly surviving.
Are they both working?

My wife due to health doesn't work, in BC she receives disability support.

As far as I can find there is no real disability support in NB or very little anyhow.

I would be the only income.

Trying to sort out if these lower cost areas for housing are low enough to improve our life on just 1 income.

She doesn't qualify for CPP disability so that isn't an option.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by David_ns
HGV driver if you want to work for peanuts and long haul yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.