Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:30 pm
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Originally Posted by viajero
Which makes me think - Erika, have you considered becoming a French teacher? Outside of Quebec (for obvious reasons), French teachers are in massive demand with French immersion enrolment skyrocketing. Teaching in general has a terrible oversupply but it is the opposite for the following subjects : French, math, and the sciences (physics especially, but chemistry and biology also offer decent odds).

You can complete a Bachelor of Education in just a year and as a French immersion candidate you'll be snapped up right away. Even if you'd prefer to teach Core French (i.e. french classes to non-immersion students) there are still plenty of opportunities.
Oh, I just re-read your original post and it seems that teaching doesn't interest you.

However, you might want to reconsider:

- The additional educational requirement is only one year
- For French teachers, employment is practically guaranteed assuming you have the correct temperament and receive satisfactory appraisals in your practica
- You get 10 weeks vacation in the summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, a week in March, every statutory holiday and even some non-stat holidays (Easter Monday, for instance). That's plenty of time to indulge your own interests if you find that you don't absolutely love teaching
- Some school boards offer a "4 and 1" option in which you work for 4 years at 80% of your regular salary, and then take the 5th year off during which you are paid the withheld 20% from the 4 previous years. You are of course guaranteed your job back in Year 6 (at which time you could probably start another 4/1 cycle)
- Unions in Ontario and other provinces have made it virtually impossible to fire crappy teachers so even if you're not good at it, who cares? You'll have a well-paying job for life
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Oh, I just re-read your original post and it seems that teaching doesn't interest you.

However, you might want to reconsider:

- The additional educational requirement is only one year
- For French teachers, employment is practically guaranteed assuming you have the correct temperament and receive satisfactory appraisals in your practica
- You get 10 weeks vacation in the summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, a week in March, every statutory holiday and even some non-stat holidays (Easter Monday, for instance). That's plenty of time to indulge your own interests if you find that you don't absolutely love teaching
- Some school boards offer a "4 and 1" option in which you work for 4 years at 80% of your regular salary, and then take the 5th year off during which you are paid the withheld 20% from the 4 previous years. You are of course guaranteed your job back in Year 6 (at which time you could probably start another 4/1 cycle)
- Unions in Ontario and other provinces have made it virtually impossible to fire crappy teachers so even if you're not good at it, who cares? You'll have a well-paying job for life
Have you *any* idea how hard it is to get a *permanent* teaching job in *any* province in Canada??
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:10 pm
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Have you *any* idea how hard it is to get a *permanent* teaching job in *any* province in Canada??
Extremely hard....except for French or Math teachers.

A French immersion math teacher would pretty much have his/her pick.

For all other subjects, graduates are more or less screwed.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Erika_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your comments. I do understand that it probably won’t work this way – a 30 year old graduate vs someone who is 21 - doesn't seem very appealing to me, too. However, as far as I know, the job market in Canada is a little bit different – it is totally normal when someone wants to change a career and chooses a completely different major… theoretically (well, that’s what I have read).
I did work as an interpreter and translator, but at some point I understood that I would be always jumping through hoops of people who need the services of translation and interpreting. To be honest, translation turned out to be very stressful and nasty– always deadlines and I had to spend up to 16-18 hours a day translating. It was like a nightmare for me. That’s the main reason why I want to stay away from translation.
Psycholinguistics sounds good to me, but I don’t see a practical application, unless I want to do a PhD. Coincidentally, I just finished the book «Criminology for dummies» - but there was nothing about linguists who work in this sphere.
To be honest, I do like foreign languages, everyone is amazed when they get to know that I speak 5 languages (the only reason why I got accepted by Canada is because of my French, and it was the 5th language for me)– but after moving to Canada I realized that it is nothing. Anglos and francophones here in Montreal speak much better than me – so practically I came to Canada with almost no skills whatsoever (no need for Ukrainian here, German I need to check, Russian – well, I don’t really want to work with this language for now).
I am planning to stay in Montreal now – I adore this city and people, plus there are many perks for permanent residents who wish to study (I cant take prêts et bourses and receive a scholarship, though it will be enough only to pay my rent). I don’t have unlimited resources, free apartment or even friends here – so I will need to work things out. But it’s ok, not a big deal.
viajero Thanks for information about teachers, but I am just not interested in teaching (though I know that I am good at it, after 9 months my student passed German and got B1 level, that was quite an achievement because we started from zero).
Probably I should stop fidgeting at this point and go ahead with languages and see the real world, as you all wrote. The thing is that sometimes I feel extremely bitter – I have read so many discouraging posts that getting another degree in humanities (translation or linguistics in my case) is just a suicide… especially in Canada – Canada just doesn't need linguists. That’s the reason why I feel devalued here and started jumping from law school then finance then management. The main reason why I want to get a degree here is because my Master’s degree is not even considered here. I do not have a fancy degree from the UK, Australia, France or the USA, which is accepted in Canada, as far as I know.
Anyway, I do appreciate all your answers – you give me some very nice ideas and I am really grateful that you find the time to share your experience and thoughts.

Last edited by Erika_; Sep 5th 2016 at 5:37 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

If I went back I'd take either Brewing and Distilling or Golf Course Management.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There is quite an interesting page on the UToronto website - listing many types of employment for Linguistics.. including some jobs that were recently advertised/filled.

It might be worth taking a look, to give you some ideas.

https://www.utm.utoronto.ca/careers/...or-linguistics

and another: http://www.academicinvest.com/arts-c...istics-careers

Have you considered Court interpreter, Airlines (Air Canada are looking), CBSA? I thought 'Acting Instructor' (voice work - dialect coach) could be interesting! What about 'Foreign Student Advisor'? No teaching necessary!

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/student_das...601&los1=LOS05

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 5th 2016 at 6:22 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the links! :-) I will have a look at them now.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

A perfect summation of why I never want to work in a union environment ever again. I have an immediate family member in the education field who had to basically do the job of two people as her co-worker was basically useless but got full union backing.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

I just want to thank you all. You helped me to make the right decision.
I will continue with linguistics (probably not translation) and get a Master’s degree from McGill. I am not sure how many years it wills take – all depends if they will take into consideration my previous Master’s degree in linguistics I got in 2011. Meanwhile I will find a language-related job in Montreal.
Thank you!
Old Sep 11th 2016, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erika_
Hello.
I would be very thankful if someone could give me a good advice concerning my studying in Canada. I moved to Montreal this summer, I am a permanent resident. To be honest, I feel a little bit lost now. I got a Master’s degree in Linguistics and Translation, apart from English I also speak 4 other languages. The problem is that I don’t want to do anything with linguistics, so probably I will have to go to the University and start studying from the very beginning (which is perfectly fine – I am 26 now and it’s ok for me to invest time and money in another degree). I would like to study at McGill University because it is globally renowned and I am sure that all the lectures will be of a superb quality.
While choosing a new major I am not taking into consideration any degree in Engineering (I am at the humanities, but not math or chemistry). I also realized that I am not interested at all in HR, Finance, Economics, Law, Logistics, Psychology, Teaching, Translation, IT, Management, Design. I feel very strongly that I don’t want to study these majors. Now I am in limbo…
I do understand that choosing another unserious major (Journalism, Anthropology) will ruin my life – though these majors are very interesting. The job perspectives seem brighter for engineers, finance analysts, doctors, lawyers, rather than for me. It makes me really sad and unhappy now – I was a top student at the University, and now I am finding myself at the bottom of the ladder because of my major.
Maybe someone could give me a wise advice concerning a new major in Canada which would lead eventually to a well-paid job? I am not afraid to study anything (though I was always bad at math and physics). I just desperately want to be a successful and happy person, but without any future plan it is just impossible.
Thank you.
Speech & Language Therapy?
Old Sep 12th 2016, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

I am not really interested in speech and language therapy. At first I will try to get into McGill MA program (which will be really hard even with 4.0 GPA), then I will see. I was thinking about neurolinguistics, but still there is a lot to think about.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And where is there a labour market for people with degrees in Neurolinguistics ?
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

The main reason why I want to get a degree here is because my Master’s degree is not even considered here. I do not have a fancy degree from the UK, Australia, France or the USA, which is accepted in Canada, as far as I know.
Hi Erika,

Apologies if you already answered this, have you sent your overseas Master's qualification to an organization like WES to get them "Canadian equivalenced"?

cheers.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Hiya. Yes, I did. It was - évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec. Then confirmed my MA degree, though it is not an equivalent. Probably.

Concerning neurolinguistics - it sounds interesting to me. I need to give a lot of thought to it (or maybe sth else, like computational linguistics... but I am not that smart :-) ). Next month I am going to write a research proposal for unis in Montreal, so I will see where it will bring me.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya. Yes, I did. It was - évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec. Then confirmed my MA degree, though it is not an equivalent. Probably.

Concerning neurolinguistics - it sounds interesting to me. I need to give a lot of thought to it (or maybe sth else, like computational linguistics... but I am not that smart :-) ). Next month I am going to write a research proposal for unis in Montreal, so I will see where it will bring me.
I don't think that's WES or one of the other specific companies that are normally recognised though - isn't that just the Quebec Ministry evaluation?
The Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec (comparative evaluation for studies done outside Québec) is an expert opinion issued by the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion for reference purposes only. It is neither a diploma nor an equivalency diploma.

The comparative evaluation establishes an overall comparison between two official education systems. It indicates the educational benchmarks (or main diplomas) and areas of training in Québec that can be used to compare studies done outside Québec.
It may well be worth your while to get it assessed officially.

Have your education assessed (I know you don't need it done for immigration purposes, but this is a list of recognised companies/educational establishments who can assess your qualifications officially).
Designated organizations for ECAs

You can get your assessment from:

Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies (Date designated: April 17, 2013)
International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (Date designated: April 17, 2013)
World Education Services (Date designated: April 17, 2013)
International Qualifications Assessment Service (Date designated: August 6, 2015)
International Credential Evaluation Service (Date designated: August 6, 2015)

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 20th 2016 at 2:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.