Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Old Sep 5th 2016, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Originally Posted by Erika_
Thank you very much for the link. Ironically, I don’t know any of the languages and dialects required. I have a wrong set of languages for the IRB – English, German, French, Russian and Ukrainian. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Based on your life experience, do you think it is generally a good idea to choose something more practical, like law or finance due to better employment possibilities in Canada? Moneywise, it is not a bad idea at all, even though I will have to spend another 5 years getting a degree and I will feel probably miserable because I don’t have passion and personal qualities of lawyers or financial analysts. Or should I choose a road less traveled and make value of what I know already, rather than spending 5 years on something certain and high-paying, though not really interesting for me?
There is a time in life where you need to start work and stop studying. I hate to tell you this, but you have past this time already. You need to start work.

No bank or law firm will take on a 29 year old fresh graduate. It just does not work that way.

If you are prepared to travel, I would consider EBRD or EIB as potential employers. They would probably like your list of languages.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 11:40 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Good point millhouse. But if Erika is 26 now we'd be talking the wrong side of 30 to be tackling a crowded rookie job market- vs hundreds of fresh grads. As an interviewer I'd be looking for reasons why you're ten years late entering the market (and I'd be sympathetic to some personal issues. Unfortunately less so to someone who's studied for years only to find out there are no jobs for that qualification at the end of that period rather than at the start. Sorry to be blunt...

Originally Posted by Millhouse
There is a time in life where you need to start work and stop studying. I hate to tell you this, but you have past this time already. You need to start work.

No bank or law firm will take on a 29 year old fresh graduate. It just does not work that way.

If you are prepared to travel, I would consider EBRD or EIB as potential employers. They would probably like your list of languages.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:10 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erika_
Hello.
I would be very thankful if someone could give me a good advice concerning my studying in Canada. I moved to Montreal this summer, I am a permanent resident. To be honest, I feel a little bit lost now. I got a Master’s degree in Linguistics and Translation, apart from English I also speak 4 other languages.

The problem is that I don’t want to do anything with linguistics, so probably I will have to go to the University and start studying from the very beginning (which is perfectly fine – I am 26 now and it’s ok for me to invest time and money in another degree). I would like to study at McGill University because it is globally renowned and I am sure that all the lectures will be of a superb quality..

Back to your original post, I have a few questions, comments & suggestions.

Too me, you seem to want to continue be a professional student?

How are you funding your studies at age 26, have you ever worked at anything - if so, what?

If McGill is the place that you want to be, pick & choose something that you like & that you will get accepted into

Maybe someone could give me a wise advice concerning a new major in Canada which would lead eventually to a well-paid job? I am not afraid to study anything (though I was always bad at math and physics).

I also realized that I am not interested at all in HR, Finance, Economics, Law, Logistics, Psychology, Teaching, Translation, IT, Management, Design. I feel very strongly that I don’t want to study these majors. Now I am in limbo…

I just desperately want to be a successful and happy person, but without any future plan it is just impossible.
Thank you.
Would you be content with more language studies or maybe move to fine art?

Since you lean towards languages, why not stick with it, if so, what about 'Forensic linquistics' or 'Psycholinguistics'? Could be a good one, useful for study & a career

What about 'Criminology'?

Do you want to repeat or add-on a Graduate degree in linguistics at McGill?

Could you define what "successful" means to you, is it more academic qualifications, be a lifetime researcher, or being able to work for money, give back to society.... just what is it?

Last edited by not2old; Sep 5th 2016 at 12:20 pm. Reason: edited post
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to agree with those who suggest getting a job, for the moment, before launching into yet more study.

Putting all your qualifications aside for the moment, think about what would you *like* to do as a job/career? Have you worked at any time while you were studying? If yes, was there a job (or aspects of one) you particularly enjoyed? When you chose the studies you did, did you have a job/career in mind?

Have you looked at Federal government jobs? Not just translation/interpreter?

Are you "tied" to Montreal, or would you be prepared to go elsewhere in Canada?

Just throwing out some ideas...
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to sound harsh but I think you need to check out the real world for a while...unless you are planning on becoming a professional student?
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Sorry to sound harsh but I think you need to check out the real world for a while...unless you are planning on becoming a professional student?

Agree, normal folks want to work, some want to be students all their life - it takes all kind

We don't know, yet the OP would appear to have unlimited resources, probably supported by someone, along with free accommodation & keep, best computer & cell phone, clothes, circle of friends, coffee shop, clubbing

Why at age 26 do folks want to continue to be in school, want to be successful - yet not work.... its because 'they don't live in the real world' IMO

My wifes brother in the UK was a 'professional student' till age 30, then started working. At age 35 (5 yrs after starting work) he was unable to continue because of depression. He stayed on disability (welfare benefits supported) continued 'in the books' till he died of a massive heart attack at age 66.

Last edited by not2old; Sep 5th 2016 at 2:13 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Sociolinguistics ? Very interesting, but aside from an academic job teaching the subject, where does it lead ? Language Teaching, perhaps.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Sociolinguistics ? Very interesting, but aside from an academic job teaching the subject, where does it lead ? Language Teaching, perhaps.
Off the top of my head: communications, PR, various flavours of Law Enforcement jobs, policy analysts, speech writers, etc etc & all sorts of areas not directly related...
Old Sep 5th 2016, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to teach sociolinguistics and was never short of work in the UK. I still teach online for a UK university.

When I got here, I did a TESOL qualification but found TESOL teaching conflicted with my ideas about language, particularly notions of "correctness" which you challenge a lot as a sociolinguist. You can study topics such as:

World Englishes; Language change; Code-switching; Style shifting; language and gender; language variation .. Conversation Analysis ... and many more.

I'm also a discourse analyst which is kind of overlapping.

S
Old Sep 5th 2016, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I used to teach sociolinguistics and was never short of work in the UK. I still teach online for a UK university.

When I got here, I did a TESOL qualification but found TESOL teaching conflicted with my ideas about language, particularly notions of "correctness" which you challenge a lot as a sociolinguist. You can study topics such as:

World Englishes; Language change; Code-switching; Style shifting; language and gender; language variation .. Conversation Analysis ... and many more.

I'm also a discourse analyst which is kind of overlapping.

S
So why can we not have mooses or mouses (mice) or others that don't have plurals

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Sep 5th 2016 at 3:36 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

When people start using new words or come up with new ways of saying things, and usage spreads, eventually it becomes "normal".

But there is often a lot of criticism first from people (usually older) who would say it's "not correct" or "bad English" or "the state of the language" etc.

Then if people carry on using the new terms, eventually they become assimilated into the language and finally you'd find them in the dictionary.

Something like that anyway.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 3:43 pm
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

I disagree with this.

There are many people who finish their undergraduate degree, then work for a few years, and then return to school for a Masters (or professional degree), finishing up in their late-20s.

I did this myself - began an MBA at 27 and finished at 29. Didn't encounter any problems, but then I worked full-time between 23-27.

The problem with law, however, is that it's a saturated field in Canada. Not as bad as teaching, but close.

Which makes me think - Erika, have you considered becoming a French teacher? Outside of Quebec (for obvious reasons), French teachers are in massive demand with French immersion enrolment skyrocketing. Teaching in general has a terrible oversupply but it is the opposite for the following subjects : French, math, and the sciences (physics especially, but chemistry and biology also offer decent odds).

You can complete a Bachelor of Education in just a year and as a French immersion candidate you'll be snapped up right away. Even if you'd prefer to teach Core French (i.e. french classes to non-immersion students) there are still plenty of opportunities.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Snowy560
When people start using new words or come up with new ways of saying things, and usage spreads, eventually it becomes "normal".

But there is often a lot of criticism first from people (usually older) who would say it's "not correct" or "bad English" or "the state of the language" etc.

Then if people carry on using the new terms, eventually they become assimilated into the language and finally you'd find them in the dictionary.

Something like that anyway.
Thank goodness that I do not have to worry about the 'gooblygob' manner or correctness of my speech or english language skills (this is what you get), as well as to have to compete in todays job meat market

From 'all walks of life', not that its important (so why ask), d'ya reckon most of the members on the BE are academically qualified to degree +?

How important is it in todays world to have or attain the level of an undergrad, or even a graduate degree?

Last edited by not2old; Sep 5th 2016 at 4:13 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viajero
I disagree with this.

There are many people who finish their undergraduate degree, then work for a few years, and then return to school for a Masters (or professional degree), finishing up in their late-20s.

I did this myself - began an MBA at 27 and finished at 29. Didn't encounter any problems, but then I worked full-time between 23-27.
Hummm. I'd say your case is quite different. You did an MBA after 5 years work experience. That's a normal path. You were not a fresh graduate on getting the MBA (just like almost all other MBA grads).
Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Hummm. I'd say your case is quite different. You did an MBA after 5 years work experience. That's a normal path. You were not a fresh graduate on getting the MBA (just like almost all other MBA grads).
there are folks that do graduate studies much later - in their 30's, 40's, 50's & beyond, even change discipline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.