Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Shooting - 10 injured

Vancouver Shooting - 10 injured

Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:42 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver Shooting - 10 injured

I think everyone needs to take a very deep breathe. Vancouver is an extremely safe city. I am as troubled by the recent shooting as anyone else but things need to be kept in perspective. You are more likely to be killed in a car accident than shot by a gangster, assuming one is not involved with them of course.

Besides there is way less street level violence here and anti social behavior which is rife in major UK centres, which is more likely to impact one's life than a banger out in Abbotsford. Moreover, the gangsters here are different that other citys and don't adopt street level culture as in larger NA cities. Its all about the drug trade here for the most part

Police here take these incidents very seriously and lots of resources are assigned to tackle the issue.

I'd be very concerned in the UK at the moment when you consider 20 - 25 percent has been axed from the police budget which will result in less coppers/support staff and less proactive initiatives.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:48 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jandro
Abbotsford's murder rate was also 5.2 in 2009. 2 murders were not counted because they occurred on native land but were near Abbotsford.
2009 was a bad year everywhere due to a spat between the UN and the RS over control of the drug trade. Both groups were put out of business by project Rebellion a joint VPD and RCMP operation.

I doubt it will be that high this year.

At the end of the day when comparing major urban areas, Vancouver is no better or worse than the UK and if guns were as availible as here, i suspect it would be far worse.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 5:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's just as bad in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-12026743

I'm glad I don't live in Leicester. Who'd want that next door?