Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver for a holiday advice

Vancouver for a holiday advice

Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:39 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver for a holiday advice

Originally Posted by el_richo
yep the snowboarding was great apart from my popped knee and pulled tendon in my foot.

I guess i was being too literal in the word Vancouver. I do agree, especially in the summer, there are lots of things to do but many of them are not in Vancouver - like the Okanagan wineries, the Island, Whistler, etc.

For my personal tastes, most of what's available that i'd enjoy in vancouver proper can be done in a few days - like whale watching, fish & chips in Steveston, Grouse mountain, Celebration of Light, Stanley park incl. Aquarium, etc.

I would recommend a few days in Vancouver proper, a few days on the Island, and a few days in the Okanagan to give the best spread of options.
Sounds lovely! Ging to start saving......
Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
You could add whale watching, a trip over the border to the US shopping, coffee and watching the world go by in Chapters (bookshop) or Gastown. I think Chinatown is worth a visit. Hire a bike ad go around Stanley Park. There are lots of very informative guide books and maps for Vancouver and the region as a whole.

Enjoy your stay.

Fly 10 hours to sit in a chain store and watch badly dressed Canadians walk around. What a rich tapestry life can be.

Last edited by Oink; Mar 21st 2012 at 5:38 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

In vancouver itself the best way to get around is by using the tour busses, they come by every half hour or so and you can jump on/off as much as you like.
Stanly park is great if you like wildlife, seals, sea otters, beaver, eagles. Or If you want more than the local wildlife a trip to the aquarium is good.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu_g2004
In vancouver itself the best way to get around is by using the tour busses, they come by every half hour or so and you can jump on/off as much as you like.
Stanly park is great if you like wildlife, seals, sea otters, beaver, eagles. Or If you want more than the local wildlife a trip to the aquarium is good.
I don't mean to be pedantic but you'll have to go to the Aquarium to see sea otters. The ones around here are river otters and the little ****ers shit all over my boat.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

It is great for a week, a lovely resort town. Jericho beach park has a nice family of Beavers (unless my nazi ex-landlord has poisoned them, 'Beavers are vermin') best to see at dusk.

After a few days just sit and 'thrill' at the 'best place on earth'.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I just got my Canadian reprieve. (wife got spouse visa so back to the UK in a few months. hooray etc.)
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't mean to be pedantic but you'll have to go to the Aquarium to see sea otters. The ones around here are river otters and the little ****ers shit all over my boat.
Maybe, but the little ***ers were swimming in the sea when I saw them, I ain't no marine biologist so there sea otters in my eyes. Lol

We also saw a beaver that had fell over the sea wall and was paddling around in the sea.

I know for a fact that was the rare lesser spotted sea beaver!!!!

Last edited by Stu_g2004; Mar 22nd 2012 at 10:48 am. Reason: More added
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

sta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, some interesting suggestions

I was speaking to a guy yesterday who suggested that it is an experience to take a small plane to go over to the island instead of the ferry.

A friend of mine moved to Canada and him and his mrs own http://www.chaletluisewhistlerinn.com

So could be an idea to take a visit there.

Last edited by sta123; Mar 22nd 2012 at 3:54 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:23 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sta123
Thanks guys, some interesting suggestions

I was speaking to a guy yesterday who suggested that it is an experience to take a small plane to go over to the island instead of the ferry.

A friend of mine moved to Canada and him and his mrs own http://www.chaletluisewhistlerinn.com

So could be an idea to take a visit there.
The flight to the island is good but i'd suggest taking the ferry one way and a plane the other if you're doing that. Check out costs of taking a flight tour instead versus a commute to the island as this could be a cheaper way to see the area from above, and take the ferry both ways.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

The summer flights to Victoria via float plane are pretty spectacular. I used to do it weekly with my job. Go for it if you can.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

You were very lucky. I've never seen anything other than racoons and eagles in Stanley Park.

I do see a lot of seals and river otters in False Creek though but mainly from the living room.

I'd personally avoid the tour buses. It's a small city and you can walk much of it, or hire a bike and cycle if the weather's nice. Use the Seabus / Aquabus to get across to the North Shore or South False Creek.

In reality, the best and probably most convenient way to get things done would be to hire a car and drive.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=el_richo;9967115]You were very lucky. I've never seen anything other than racoons and eagles in Stanley Park.

It was early in the morning, before the park got too busy, also saw black squirrel which I'd never seen before!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Stu_g2004;9967162]
You were very lucky. I've never seen anything other than racoons and eagles in Stanley Park.

It was early in the morning, before the park got too busy, also saw black squirrel which I'd never seen before!!!
The are not black squirrels, they are grey squirrels that just happen to be black. If you see what I mean.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:22 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The are not black squirrels, they are grey squirrels that just happen to be black. If you see what I mean.
And they spoil the fun of the little native squirrels
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:25 pm
Beep

Spent many hours over the years in that park on the seawall at very quiet times but still not been that lucky to see all that wildlife

I see more bears than sealife these days.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Spent many hours over the years in that park on the seawall at very quiet times but still not been that lucky to see all that wildlife

I see more bears than sealife these days.
I'll tell you exactly where we were, 3rd beach just down from the little cafe, by the rocks on the right looking out to sea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.