Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

URGENT--i need help re property in trnto

URGENT--i need help re property in trnto

Old Jul 8th 2001, 10:56 am
bowave

yes, i'm sorry i have actually posted this query elsewhere on this site but got no response! reason i'm posting it here is that i too am looking to purchase a condo in downtown toronto, but am having difficulty in obtaining the right mortgage loan, as I am a UK citizen; ie i'm looking for something like 15% to 20% downpayment but at present have only heard of one Bank who will do it, and they require 30% downpayment!!! Thats far too much for me, as 30% for me will be around C$60 000!!! Can anyone help at all, please? oh, and what is the capital appreciation of property in toronto like in percentage terms per year? many tnks.

Old Jul 9th 2001, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough
Default Condo purchase

There are some banks that will do 5% deposits on mortgages. They tend to be for people who are continuing the same line of work in canada that they did in the uk. Mortgages here are a minefield as they are anywhere else, you need to shop around. Most instituions require 25% deposit.

the best policy seems to be to invest in RSP's to use as a deposit in a few years and rent in the meantime.

No idea about appreciation I'm afraid, all I know is the closer to downtown, the more expensive properties are.