Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Un-happy in Canada!

Un-happy in Canada!

Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:44 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un-happy in Canada!

Originally Posted by xxdb
I sympathize with you and even agree to a large extent but I think you have internalized the message that you are average by being forced through the meat grinder of a standardized education.

Here's the problem: ALL human beings are capable of learning the same stuff. Some take longer to learn it than others and some find learning harder than other. But ALL can learn even if at a slower pace with sufficient practise, help and determination.

The problem with e.g. modern high schools is you're expected to get through a certain volume of coursework in three years. If you need five years to get through that then you're viewed as a "failure" because you don't get the five years and then you're turfed out on the street. This is a patently unfair and STUPID system because it is ruining the aspirations and prospects of huge numbers of young people.

Recent studies show that competency in any skill takes 100 hours of practice, mastery takes 1,000 hours and expert level takes 10,000 hours.

Nowhere does it say "intelligence" is required. It's practise. Over and over and over.

I was "lucky" if you like because I did get through high school in the allocated time and thereafter got to university and completed that too (though I failed second year and had to repeat it) but here's an example that proves that people are not inherently "bad" or "average" at something:

When I was at high school I was (among others) one of the kids who got thrown out of French repeatedly because I was too stupid to pick it up. I just couldn't figure it out. Or so I thought at the time. What was really happening was it was moving too fast.

Fast forward fifteen years: I was put in the situation that I was *forced* to learn a foreign language in my early thirties (Spanish). I was basically forced to try to figure it out because I was in a Spanish speaking country. And I did, much to my surprise, because I spent several hours per night over the course of the months I was there trying to learn it. Determination did it.

I believe almost anyone has the ability to improve their skills and learn new things. Obviously some have constraints (like not having many hours to study because you need to work) but there's no reason to consider yourself average. You're not. You're unique.
Very simplistic views IMO. But well meant, I suppose.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shard
I'd be interested (genuinely) why you think that. Please explain to me the nuances I'm missing about why people can't improve their skills.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:19 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is that "average" really isn't an insult... Unless you are super intelligent or super talented at a sport then people are basically average, with strengths in different areas.

Nowt wrong in being much the same as everyone else. I think it would be nicer for children all round if people concentrated on good qualities such as being kind, empathetic, hard working than how good they are at football or science... It seems society is entirely too focused on academic measurement of a person. Competitive parenting is something I will not partake in... Hubby's boss seems to live vicariously through his son's sporting and academic achievements- it appears at the cost of the poor boys happiness!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:30 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I think the problem is that "average" really isn't an insult... Unless you are super intelligent or super talented at a sport then people are basically average, with strengths in different areas.

Nowt wrong in being much the same as everyone else. I think it would be nicer for children all round if people concentrated on good qualities such as being kind, empathetic, hard working than how good they are at football or science... It seems society is entirely too focused on academic measurement of a person. Competitive parenting is something I will not partake in... Hubby's boss seems to live vicariously through his son's sporting and academic achievements- it appears at the cost of the poor boys happiness!
Interesting comment, as somehow, on paper (err...web) I took you for quite a competitive parent. I agree that average should not be seen negatively, as most people are by definition, average.

One survey asked people about whether they though they are bad drivers, worse than average, average, better than average or good. Invariably the mode was "better than average", which of course, is not a possible description of actual driving ability (it would have to be "average"). Unless of course the sample was predominantly men
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:34 pm
Yo

I'd be interested (genuinely) why you think that. Please explain to me the nuances I'm missing about why people can't improve their skills.
Please read more carefully. "Simplistic views" does not mean that they are false.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:36 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting comment, as somehow, on paper (err...web) I took you for quite a competitive parent. I agree that average should not be seen negatively, as most people are by definition, average.

One survey asked people about whether they though they are bad drivers, worse than average, average, better than average or good. Invariably the mode was "better than average", which of course, is not a possible description of actual driving ability (it would have to be "average"). Unless of course the sample was predominantly men
God no, I hope not!!! Facebook competitive parenting makes me want to vomit...

All I want for my children is to learn that hard work will invariably take them where they need to go... Wherever that may be. I have no aspirations for them particularly other than they find something to do that makes them happy rather than rich.. Love of money is after all the root of all evil

Ha I also think I might be worse than average at driving

Last edited by Tirytory; Jan 16th 2015 at 8:40 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well employers tend to not consider self taught skills and skills, so that leads to other issues such as needing to go to a college to learn those skills and get the piece of paper from the school.

Going to school leads to issues for some, some of those could be:

No school within a reasonable commute of home.

No school offering night courses so working adults can attend.

Unable to quit work to attend school, but school and work don't mix.

Lack of financial aid if working full-time and going to school part-time.

Those with learning disabilities often cannot keep up with the pace of a course, and there isn't nearly as much help in colleges as some may think, there is help, but if your not able to keep the pace, you probably won't pass.

It would be a whole lot easier if employers would realize people can self teach and gain skills without going to school, in the past it was common for people to be self taught, even in professional jobs.

Now it seems you need some sort of college training for nearly everything to be considered a legit skill.

It would take a degree program to boost my salary to make school worthwhile, I am looking into a few programs, and may still go in the Spring, but the average salary being reported by the school based on surveys of students who graduated from the program is 18-19 per hour range.

I make 16 now, and I am not sure if 6,000 in debt is worth making 2-3 bucks extra and likely having to commute into Vancouver or beyond for work, taking away any real incentive since the extra earned would go to gas leading to the same as I have now.

Now if I could do psychiatric nursing or related and start at 30/hr (current starting pay based on current contract) it would be another story altogether.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Please read more carefully. "Simplistic views" does not mean that they are false.
I don't like reading more carefully. And thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Well employers tend to not consider self taught skills and skills, so that leads to other issues such as needing to go to a college to learn those skills and get the piece of paper from the school....
I don't disagree. Getting the piece of paper is indeed an unfortunate fact of the ways things work and I am very lucky and fortunate that I had the opportunity and means to get them when I was young. And I know what you mean about the cost. I'd like another one but I don't want to pay $30,000 for something that will merely broaden my marketable skills instead of increase my earning capacity.

On another note: have you considered doing something online? Have you looked into something like excelsior college in the US? They do something called a PLA. "Prior Learning Assessment". You can get a certain amount of college credit for things you've learned. That might be one way to get on the paper trail ladder relatively inexpensively and without spending years in a school full time.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I am average, above average or below average, depending on the skill being compared. I suspect everyone else is the same.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Boneyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Delboy, is your mum still alive? I was in your situation many years ago after my dad passed away. I fell into a depression and wanted to return to the UK to spend more time with my mum and family. I didn't and have regretted it ever since. Canada can be a soulless place, long boring winters and really hard to make true friends. Once you've been unhappy and unsettled here in Canada, it never goes away no matter how brave a face we put on it. That's most probably true for everywhere but Canada sure seems to suck the life out of people. Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

maple moments. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Richos_9
We had a few wobbles over our 8 years of being in Canada of wanting to move back, our visit back at Xmas was what really pushed us over the edge! I do wish we hadn't had gone back at that time. I was feeling homesick then too, work was also really hard for me to get and I also had 2 very young children with no help, no family to babysit so the husband and I could go out on a date. It really ground me down. Going back to the UK for that holiday was definitely the worst thing for us to have done!
I had visions of life in the UK being all peachy, my friends kids would become my children's best friends, we would see our family lots, we would get lots of offers of babysitters so the husband and I could have some time together, we would both be able to work and be better off financially, my children would get to see where I grew up, the beauty of the English history, taking my daughter to see the old castles, etc, etc, etc!!
Like I said in my previous post, that lasted for a short time. I regret coming back everyday. However, it was not a wasted return. It has just clarified for us where we want to be.
So many people I talk to ask us why we came back and how much they would love to leave the UK, how bad things here are becoming. That just adds fuel to my fire!
We are still trying to figure out how we can come back to Canada. Our PR cards expire Nov this year and we have only lived in Canada for apx. 120 days in the past 4 years of having our PR card. We are waiting for Immigration to reply to us and to see if we need to start from scratch. It will be a process, but it will happen!
I'm glad that talking to people on here has helped you, but keep talking, whether on here, to your wife, friend, doctor etc. It sounds to me that this is your biggest problem. Don't let the idea of moving back to the UK cloud your thoughts and judgement. You may find the thought of moving to the UK as a distraction from everything else going on in your life and because of that make a wrong decision (like myself).
Richos, as others have said, your posts are spot on. You write so clearly about your experiences. Thanks for sharing that. I'm sure it'll help the OP, indeed it has already by the looks of it.
Wishing you Luck with your PR status.

I came back 5 months ago to the UK. My sole reason was to be geographically closer to my kids. They're both in early 20s, so not 'young' kids and have their own lives and could potentially move elsewhere. (Discussed this already on another post). Anyway like your goodselves, I recognise when you move and spend time in the UK, it's quite different from just visiting with all the attached euphoria and novelty...
I'm planning to return to Canada later in the year.

I'm probably a wee bit different from you and many others here, as I'll return alone to Canada. Ex lives in the UK and the kids will stay on for now. I have friends in Canada, but naturally will live alone for a while and network to get things rolling again.

Of course Canada ain't perfect as we know, plenty of drug/alcohol issues especially in the cities, like anywhere. And I've almost been zapped at 'roundabouts' so many times... or given the finger from the car behind for taking longer than 2 seconds to get my bearings in Vancouver streets. All good fun..!

Each day is precious whatever we do. Just gotta get the most out of it all.
Cheers and all the Best
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Delboy07
I definitely agree in theory that life is better here, living in the Okanagan BC is amazing, lakes, mountains, forests its natures playground, but right this moment I wish I was walking on a cobbled street in York marvelling in our history. I hate to talk like this and I am confident that my perspective is based from my 12 years in the Okanagan and yes I am down right now, but I long to have my kids experience our culture and heritage and not just that of a somewhat backward city of 40 000. I just can not accept that this is it!

I have struggled to find a job/career that is enough to support a family let alone travel however after 12 years I have literally just landed what may appear to be the break I have been waiting for. Fingers crossed

I did get back to the UK 2 times at the start of last year wedding and Dads funeral, I had hoped this would stem the homesickness but I fear it has made it worse, I am just longing for the old days and being with my brothers. Of course my wife and kids are what its all about but I just cant help thinking they would love it at home, I am probably very wrong on this, the kids would be so over castles and harry potter in a week. LOL

Its not just the homesickness, but before I came to Canada I was in the Military and I so badly miss the camaraderie, the humour and the humbleness. I cant quite fit in with the Canadian (Okanagan BC) way of life, there is no, absolutely no community here, its every man for himself. Its a much prettier town, more space, more to do and healthier but everyone is in a rush and does not appear to care about the next person, everyone goes home at night and clunk door locked curtains pulled.

Again as someone above has pointed out I may be depressed but I have struggled with this for 12 years. Is it time to give up, actually I do not know why I say this as I no I can not go home.

Maybe my issue is a feeling of being trapped and suffocation!
I feel similar, I always have and always will, live on the coast. Can't stand being landlocked. It's nice to have the open sea on one side...
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I feel similar, I always have and always will, live on the coast. Can't stand being landlocked. It's nice to have the open sea on one side...
That is my issue with Alberta and the interior provinces, too flat and nowhere to go, just land and more land for as long as you can see.

I really need to be close to the ocean, I don't go daily, but it's nice knowing its close by for a relaxing day.

Nothing beats the sound of waves and ocean smell.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is my issue with Alberta and the interior provinces, too flat and nowhere to go, just land and more land for as long as you can see.

I really need to be close to the ocean, I don't go daily, but it's nice knowing its close by for a relaxing day.

Nothing beats the sound of waves and ocean smell.
Have you ever stood on the shores of Lake Superior, Manitoba and Great Slave Lake and thought you were landlocked
Now I know its the Toronto Sun but an article from them rated the best 10 beaches in Canada and 6 of them were not on the ocean

Top 10 Canadian beaches for a summer trip | Canada | Travel | Toronto Sun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.