Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Un-happy in Canada!

Un-happy in Canada!

Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice
Default Re: Un-happy in Canada!

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
you know that, statistically, some people are ?
Not to sound too optimistic but I believe that nobody is average. Everyone can be the best they can be if they get themselves as much education as they can. Obviously sometimes that's not easy to do but it's definitely the best option to have a better life. From the perspective of "more money" that is.

And again: this conversation looks like it might slide into prickliness - let's just avoid that.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Goody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud of

Statistics are manipulated to show whatever is desired.

Perhaps I'm an eternal optimist but if you view yourself as average how are others going to ever perceive you as more than average?

No one who has the guts, determination and drive (or love for another person!) to pack up and leave for another country is average!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:29 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

You know Xx you have picked up on something that I think is inheritantly wrong these days... That children need to shine, they can't just be average at something and enjoy it for the sake of it- they have to be the best at it mostly I think to give their parents something to brag about.

I fear we might have a generation of disillusioned, dissatisfied kids who have no idea how to just be...
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree. I'm definitely not average. My special snowflake status is confirmed as I've lived in three countries now. Can you imagine the guts that took? No, well, it was a lot.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:51 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes I agree. I'm definitely not average. My special snowflake status is confirmed as I've lived in three countries now. Can you imagine the guts that took? No, well, it was a lot.
My Mum currently lives in 3 countries on a sort of cyclical basis and she's incredibly average.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goody86
Statistics are manipulated to show whatever is desired.

Perhaps I'm an eternal optimist but if you view yourself as average how are others going to ever perceive you as more than average?

No one who has the guts, determination and drive (or love for another person!) to pack up and leave for another country is average!
Not everyone wants to be perceived as more than average and really there's little merit in wanting people to think that you are.

The best way to be is to be content with your lot, whatever that is, and not give a flying f about what others think of you.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

What a bizarre concept, that people view themselves as average
We all have different abilities and attributes that limit what we can do in life. None of us have the same intelligence levels either, some are smarter then others and this is just a fact of life.

The whole educational system ranks people based on a scale of average, get straight A's and your considered above average, B's and you in the middle, C students are considered average, and D and below are considered below average.

It should not be taken in a negative way at all, and just accepted that not everyone has the same abilities.

Some people excel in school and because of this have more opportunity in life, others (like me) no matter how hard they try in school, they just don't succeed at academics, and because of this they are held back in life due to lack of education.

I agree with the OP that education is vital in life, regardless of what type, its just unfortunate employers only see education via a university or college as valuable, and well simply put, not everyone has the ability to get through college no matter how hard they try, they can devote every waking hour to studies and still not understand and master enough to gain a degree or even pass.

I barely made it through high school, so college was pretty clearly not in the cards, although I did try however it became apparent pretty quick, the work was well beyond my capabilities with the base education that I have.

I only passed high school as teachers felt bad and passed me with credit instead of a letter grade, I spent the majority of my student life studying and trying frustrated to master the subjects and pass tests, but you know what, I am just not an academic and I have accepted this.

That is why I consider myself average.

Math is my enemy, which is the vital subject that keeps me from doing jobs more suited to what I'd enjoy.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

You missed something. Let me fix it for you:

If you view yourself as average [and cannot change it]....

I believe average is something you can work on. Particularly when it comes to tradeable skills. Skills are just something you practise at and the more you practise the better you get. Same as education.

If you think you "can't do it" then you really are doomed to remain where you are.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
You know Xx you have picked up on something that I think is inheritantly wrong these days... That children need to shine, they can't just be average at something and enjoy it for the sake of it- they have to be the best at it mostly I think to give their parents something to brag about.

I fear we might have a generation of disillusioned, dissatisfied kids who have no idea how to just be...
Yes, kind of an overachiever syndrome! Some kids are born to overachieve, in which case it's a joy, but for those who weren't, the journey is literally joyless. You see it in the faces of many kids being pushed (too hard).
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Goody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud of

I think it's sad that the majority of people seem to see skills and education as the only things that can make you above average. My comment was really meant as a bit of praise to say 'hey don't see yourself like that mate, you're so much more' but it seems to have been taken completley the wrong way!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:00 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We all have different abilities and attributes that limit what we can do in life. None of us have the same intelligence levels either, some are smarter then others and this is just a fact of life.

The whole educational system ranks people based on a scale of average, get straight A's and your considered above average, B's and you in the middle, C students are considered average, and D and below are considered below average.

It should not be taken in a negative way at all, and just accepted that not everyone has the same abilities.

Some people excel in school and because of this have more opportunity in life, others (like me) no matter how hard they try in school, they just don't succeed at academics, and because of this they are held back in life due to lack of education.

I agree with the OP that education is vital in life, regardless of what type, its just unfortunate employers only see education via a university or college as valuable, and well simply put, not everyone has the ability to get through college no matter how hard they try, they can devote every waking hour to studies and still not understand and master enough to gain a degree or even pass.

I barely made it through high school, so college was pretty clearly not in the cards, although I did try however it became apparent pretty quick, the work was well beyond my capabilities with the base education that I have.

I only passed high school as teachers felt bad and passed me with credit instead of a letter grade, I spent the majority of my student life studying and trying frustrated to master the subjects and pass tests, but you know what, I am just not an academic and I have accepted this.

That is why I consider myself average.

Math is my enemy, which is the vital subject that keeps me from doing jobs more suited to what I'd enjoy.
I think you must be one of the most openly honest individuals I have ever had the pleasure of reading posts from. Maybe maths is your achilles heel, but you have the humility to recognise and accept this. You never complain about your lot, just state it as it is. I have nothing but admiration for your attitude. I wish I could find people like you to work for me! Maths is not a pre-requisite of ice cream manufacturing!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I sympathize with you and even agree to a large extent but I think you have internalized the message that you are average by being forced through the meat grinder of a standardized education.

Here's the problem: ALL human beings are capable of learning the same stuff. Some take longer to learn it than others and some find learning harder than other. But ALL can learn even if at a slower pace with sufficient practise, help and determination.

The problem with e.g. modern high schools is you're expected to get through a certain volume of coursework in three years. If you need five years to get through that then you're viewed as a "failure" because you don't get the five years and then you're turfed out on the street. This is a patently unfair and STUPID system because it is ruining the aspirations and prospects of huge numbers of young people.

Recent studies show that competency in any skill takes 100 hours of practice, mastery takes 1,000 hours and expert level takes 10,000 hours.

Nowhere does it say "intelligence" is required. It's practise. Over and over and over.

I was "lucky" if you like because I did get through high school in the allocated time and thereafter got to university and completed that too (though I failed second year and had to repeat it) but here's an example that proves that people are not inherently "bad" or "average" at something:

When I was at high school I was (among others) one of the kids who got thrown out of French repeatedly because I was too stupid to pick it up. I just couldn't figure it out. Or so I thought at the time. What was really happening was it was moving too fast.

Fast forward fifteen years: I was put in the situation that I was *forced* to learn a foreign language in my early thirties (Spanish). I was basically forced to try to figure it out because I was in a Spanish speaking country. And I did, much to my surprise, because I spent several hours per night over the course of the months I was there trying to learn it. Determination did it.

I believe almost anyone has the ability to improve their skills and learn new things. Obviously some have constraints (like not having many hours to study because you need to work) but there's no reason to consider yourself average. You're not. You're unique.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:06 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
You're unique.
Just like everyone else
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Just like everyone else
I see what you did there.
;->
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I think you must be one of the most openly honest individuals I have ever had the pleasure of reading posts from. Maybe maths is your achilles heel, but you have the humility to recognise and accept this. You never complain about your lot, just state it as it is. I have nothing but admiration for your attitude. I wish I could find people like you to work for me! Maths is not a pre-requisite of ice cream manufacturing!
Hint, hint, hint...JS

The Island is less expensive for property than Squamish or Abby, and maybe RP will tempt you with a generous ice cream allowance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.