Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Un-happy in Canada!

Un-happy in Canada!

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 4:45 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un-happy in Canada!

Originally Posted by Blixen
As to that “critical input”: I knew many people who had a reason to be dissatisfied with the way they were treated at work for example (=discriminated against) but they were afraid to say anything in fear of repercussions (i.e. being fired for example). Also, my work experience in Canada clearly showed me that any feedback from employees in general (and especially foreigners) is not only highly discouraged but it can be punished. You think that’s the way to improve things?

The same applies to the social life here. Try to say something not so positive to "touchy" Canadians about certain aspects of life here and you can literally be shunned having have to resort to volunteering as the only way of socializing! (and we all know how Canada loves a free labour!).

As to my comments on multiculturalism: it’s not my comments that are odd. It’s the very idea of multiculturalism hopelessly promoted by the Canadian government that is odd in today’s world where everybody fends for himself and doesn’t give a damn about immigrants’ cultural or ethnic heritage as long as they pay taxes.

As to those generalizations, I will risk one as well and say that there is probably 50% those satisfied and 50% those dissatisfied immigrants in this country which, judging Canada by its very small population compared to some other “immigrant- friendly” countries, doesn’t make it so desirable as a destination.

As to that commenter who implied that I might be one from “Not Canada”
website. I have to disappoint you. I am not although I am aware that such a site existed and am not even one bit surprised that it doesn’t anymore. One could, after all, question the purpose of such a site where people only spill out their frustrations and even anger over living here but this only tells me that Canada like no other developed country stirs the strongest and most conflicting emotions among immigrants and when this happens it’s never without a valid reason.

And finally, to all of you who love this country, I’d say: keep loving it if you have a reason/s to do so but at the same time accept that there are also those who don’t have that reason. Countries and places are like people - we only value and cherish those we had a good experience with.
Have you ever been happy anywhere? Why do you think people don't like you? Perhaps you should consider going back to wherever you started from. It seems Canada isn't working for you. That doesn't make Canada a bad place for the rest of us though. Maybe you're just not up to the challenge of integrating. No-one said it would be easy....
Old Feb 24th 2015, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blixen
As to that “critical input”: I knew many people who had a reason to be dissatisfied with the way they were treated at work for example (=discriminated against) but they were afraid to say anything in fear of repercussions (i.e. being fired for example). Also, my work experience in Canada clearly showed me that any feedback from employees in general (and especially foreigners) is not only highly discouraged but it can be punished. You think that’s the way to improve things?

The same applies to the social life here. Try to say something not so positive to "touchy" Canadians about certain aspects of life here and you can literally be shunned having have to resort to volunteering as the only way of socializing! (and we all know how Canada loves a free labour!).

As to my comments on multiculturalism: it’s not my comments that are odd. It’s the very idea of multiculturalism hopelessly promoted by the Canadian government that is odd in today’s world where everybody fends for himself and doesn’t give a damn about immigrants’ cultural or ethnic heritage as long as they pay taxes.

As to those generalizations, I will risk one as well and say that there is probably 50% those satisfied and 50% those dissatisfied immigrants in this country which, judging Canada by its very small population compared to some other “immigrant- friendly” countries, doesn’t make it so desirable as a destination.

As to that commenter who implied that I might be one from “Not Canada”
website. I have to disappoint you. I am not although I am aware that such a site existed and am not even one bit surprised that it doesn’t anymore. One could, after all, question the purpose of such a site where people only spill out their frustrations and even anger over living here but this only tells me that Canada like no other developed country stirs the strongest and most conflicting emotions among immigrants and when this happens it’s never without a valid reason.

And finally, to all of you who love this country, I’d say: keep loving it if you have a reason/s to do so but at the same time accept that there are also those who don’t have that reason. Countries and places are like people - we only value and cherish those we had a good experience with.
Blixen what is your native country? where are you from? how long have you lived in Canada? and how old are you? judging from your comments about how much you hate everything about Canada, and you don't seem to like the people much either, and you talk a lot about the girls Hmmm I would say your in the age group of 20 to 30 you sound very young and immature, not that that's wrong, but you seem as though you just need a lot more growing up to do,
But clearly Canada is not where you need to be, you need to try and immigrate to Australia maybe, you seem to like everything about that place,
I have a little advice for you, whatever county you live in you will find people will start to like you if they think that you are interested in them and there way of life, ---- dont talk about yourself or your native country unless they kick off the conversation in that direction, never boast about your native country either!!!!
I have lived for many years in Australia, Canada and the USA and I never felt the way you do in any of those countries, if I did I certainly would not have stayed for too long!!!!
Old Feb 24th 2015, 11:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
I have a little advice for you, whatever county you live in you will find people will start to like you if they think that you are interested in them and there way of life, ---- dont talk about yourself or your native country unless they kick off the conversation in that direction, never boast about your native country either!!!!
I have lived for many years in Australia, Canada and the USA and I never felt the way you do in any of those countries, if I did I certainly would not have stayed for too long!!!!
That's a very good tip.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 1:34 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

If I was told I had to live a foot further east of Quebec St. in Vancouver, I'd put in a request for a transfer to another country that very second
My Easternmost limit would be WAAAY east of there. I quite liked New West.

Plus I remember seeing a house on MLS that backed onto the cricket ground at Memorial Park South. Oh that I found a way to pull the trigger on that one. That would have been 2008 so it was probably even under 5mill.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 2:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's a very good tip.
That's a really rubbish tip.